Driving through Debre Markos town, northern Ethiopia


Melat Mulugeta

Located in Eastern Gojjam Zone of the Amhara Administrative Region, Debre Markos is the cradle to some of Ethiopia’s history from King Teklehaymanot’s burial place to the monuments, poetry, books and songwriters spiritual and historical traditional school Dima Giorgis Orthodox church , the Emperor Asrat, the mysterious religion, the palace, and the crown of King Teklehaymanot and paintings depicting his battle against the Sudanese Mahadists.

The city got its name from St. Markos Church, built in 1869, and was once the capital of Teklehaymanot, King of Gojjam. In 1926, Ras Hailu Teklehaymanot, son of King Teklehaymanot, remodeled the city with European style buildings including the postal, telegraph, and telephone service.  Nowadays, Debre Markos has become a highly attractive location for investment from construction materials to Agro-industry sectors.