Your video will begin in 9
Skip (3)

Experts Say an Estimated 2.5 Million of Ethiopians have Diabetes

November is considered a national diabetes month for the purposes of raising awareness about diabetes. Dr. Elias S. Siraj, Professor of Medicine and Chief of Endocrinology as well as Director of Strelitz Diabetes Center at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, Virginia discussed research findings showing an alarmingly growing prevalence of diabetes in Ethiopia. According to a recent study conducted by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), Ethiopia is estimated to rank first in Africa. 5% of Adults are diabetic and 15% are pre-diabetic, meaning a total of 20% of Ethiopians have diabetes. That comes to 20 million people who are affected by the disease. Out of that number, three out of four people don’t even know they have the disease because diabetes may not show any signs and symptoms for a very long time. That is why the chronic disease is now called “The quiet epidemic”.  This high prevalence is a homework for policy makers in Ethiopia.