Doctors in Ethiopia have surgically removed more than 120 nails and other sharp objects from a patient’s stomach. In total, they have taken out 122 nails, four thumbtacks, two needles, a toothpick, and several broken glass pieces, said Dr Dawit Teare, a surgeon at St. Peter’s Hospital, Addis Ababa over the weekend.
The 33-year-old patient has been mentally ill for ten years and stopped taking his medication two years ago, Dr Dawit said. Probably that’s why he swallowed all these sharp and dangerous things.
His patient was lucky that his stomach remained intact, the doctor said. “He could have died.”
The patient is recovering well. However, he had instructed the relatives to pay attention to his condition in the future to prevent him from putting his health at risk again.