NounMonopoly (plural monopolies)
- A situation, by legal privilege or other agreement, in which solely one party (company, cartel etc.) exclusively provides a particular product or service, dominating that market and generally exerting powerful control over it.
- An exclusive control over the trade or production of a commodity or service through exclusive possession.
- A land monopoly renders its holder(s) nearly almighty in an agricultural society
- The privilege granting the exclusive right to exert such control
- Granting monopolies in concession constitutes a market-conform alternative to taxation for the state, while the crown sometimes bestowed a monopoly as an outrageous gift
- (metonymy) The market thus controled
- (metonymy) The holder (person, company or other) of such market domination in one of the the above manners.
- (holder): monopolist
Adjectives for Monopoly
bag—; break down—; confer—upon; denounce—; enjoy—; foster—; free from—; infringe on—; possess—; promote—; protest—; resent—; secure—; —controls; — enriches; —fetters; —gags; —masters; — prices; —reaps; —smothers.
a corner on, arrest, arrestation, bear raid, bull raid, cartel, check, consortium, constraint, control, cooling, cooling down, cooling off, copyright, corner, corner in, cornering, curb, curtailment, deceleration, engrossment, exclusive possession, forestallment, hindrance, inhibition, injunction, interdict, legal restraint, manipulation, monopolization, ownership, pool, possessorship, prohibition, proprietorship, protection, protectionism, protective tariff, raid, rationing, rein, restraint, restraint of trade, retardation, retrenchment, rigging, self-control, slowing down, syndicate, tariff wall, thought control, trust, wash sale, washing
- (RP) enPR: mənŏ'pəlē", IPA: /məˈnɒpəˌli/, SAMPA: /[email protected]"[email protected]%li/
- (US) enPR: mənä'pəlē", IPA: /məˈnɑpəˌli/, SAMPA: /[email protected]"[email protected]%li/
Audio (US) noicon (file)
- The translations below need to be checked.