- (intransitive, now mostly colloquial) To behave, to act.
- To create, construct, or produce.
- To constitute.
- (construed with of, typically interrogative) To interpret.
- (usually stressed) To bring into success.
- (second object is an adjective, participle, or noun) To cause to be.
- (second object is a verb) To cause to do.
- (second object is a verb, can be stressed for emphasis or clarity) To force to do.
- (of a fact) To indicate or suggest to be.
- (object is a bed, referred to by the word bed) To cover neatly with bedclothes.
- (slang) (of a person being sought) To recognize (without being recognized in return).
- (transitive, colloquial) To arrive at a destination, usually at or by a certain time.
- (intransitive, with colloquial) To proceed (in a direction).
- To cover (a given distance) by traveling.
- To move at (a speed).
- (slang) To induct into the Mafia or a similar organization (as a made man).
- (intransitive, colloquial, euphemisms) To defecate or urinate.
- To earn, to gain (money).
NounMake (plural Makes)
- (often of a car) Brand or kind; often paired with model.
- How a thing is made; construction.
- Origin of a manufactured article; manufacture.
- (uncountable) Quantity produced, especially of materials.
- A person's character or disposition.
- (bridge (card game)) The declaration of the trump for a hand.
- (physics) The closing of an electrical circuit.
- (computing) A software utility for automatically building large applications, or an implementation of this utility.
- (slang) Recognition or identification, especially from police records or evidence.
- (slang, usually in phrase "easy make") Past or future target of seduction (usually female).
- (slang, military) A promotion.
- (brand def.): </span> brand; type; manufacturer
- (construction def.): </span> construction; manufacture
- (origin def.): </span> origin; manufacture
- (quantity produced def.): </span> production; output
- (act or process of making def.): </span> making; manufacture; manufacturing; production
- (personal character def.): </span> makeup, disposition, character; type, way
- (closing circuit def.): </span> closing; completion; actuation
- (recognition def.): </span> ID, identification
- (target of seduction def.): </span> lay
NounMake (plural Makes)
- (dialectal) Mate; a spouse or companion.
Adverbs for Make
powerfully; eventually; inevitably; ultimately; unquestionably; crudely; obviously; inadvertently; advisedly; persistently; unwittingly; unhesitatingly; temporarily; subsequently; superbly; indiscriminately; laboriously; lawfully; delicately; scientifically.
abscond, accomplish, achieve, acquire, act, add up to, adhere to, administer, aesthetic form, affect, affirm, aftermath, aggressive, agree to, alter, amount to, anatomy, animus, announce, appear, appoint, approach, approach anchorage, approve, aptitude, archetype, architectonics, architecture, arrange, arrangement, arrive, arrive at, arrive in, art form, assail, assault, assemblage, assemble, assembly, assertive, assign, assimilate to, atone, attack, attain, attain to, author, authorize, avails, baby, bag, batch, be, be received, be seized of, bear, bear down on, bear down upon, bear up for, bear up to, bearing, beat it, become, beget, behave, bent, bias, bind, blood, blow in, blow up, bob up, boost, borrow, box office, brand, breed, brew, bring about, bring forth, bring off, bring to, bring to effect, bring to pass, build, build up, building, buildup, bumper crop, bury the hatchet, butter up, cajole, calculate, capture, carry out, carry through, cast, catch, cause, cause to, certify, change, change into, change over, character, charge, check in, choose, clan, clear, clear out, clear the way, clip off, clock in, close with, coddle, coerce, coin, color, combination, combine, come, come by, come in, come in for, come into, come to, come to hand, come to terms, command, commission, commissions, commit, communicate, compass, compel, compensate, compensate for, complete, compose, composition, compound, comprehend, conceive, concoct, conduct, configuration, confirm, conformation, consist of, constitute, constitution, constrain, construct, construction, consummate, contract, contribute to, contrive, convert, convey, cook, cook up, cope, cope with, corral, correct, cosset, course, cover, create, creation, credit, credits, crop, cut, cut and run, cut out, deal with, decamp, decide upon, decipher, declare, delegate, deliver, demonstrate, denomination, depute, deputize, derive, description, descry, designate, designation, detect, devise, diathesis, discern, discharge, disclose, discover, dispatch, disposable income, dispose of, disposition, distinguish, dividend, dividends, divulge, do, do over, do the job, do the trick, do to, dote on, drag down, draw, draw on, draw up, dream, dream up, drive, earn, earned income, earnings, ebb, eccentricity, effect, effectuate, elaborate, elect, embodiment, embody, enact, energetic, enforce, engender, enter into, enter into possession, enterprising, erect, espy, establish, estimate, evolve, exaggerate, execute, exhort, extrude, fabric, fabricate, fabrication, facilitate, fall on, fall upon, fancy, fantasize, fare, fashion, fashioning, father, fathom, favor, feather, feign, fetch, fetch up at, figuration, figure, figure out, filch, fill in, fill out, fill up, find, fix, fix up, flatter, flee, flood, flourish, flow, flow back, flow in, flow out, flush, fly, fly the coop, follow, force, forge, forging, form, format, formation, formulate, found, frame, fruit, fudge together, fulfill, function, gain, gains, garner, gate, gate receipts, gather, gauge, generate, genre, genus, gestate, get, get along, get by, get in, get on, get there, get to, get up, getup, give birth to, give occasion to, give origin to, give rise to, go, go aboard, go alongside, go and do, go at, go for, go into, go-ahead, grain, grasp, gross, gross income, gross receipts, gush, hand over, handle, harvest, hatch, have, hint, hit, hit town, honor, hook, humor, idiosyncrasy, ilk, imagine, impart, impel, implement, imply, impression, impute, inaugurate, inclination, income, incorporate, incorporation, indicate, indite, individualism, induce, indulge, inflict, initiate, inner form, insinuate, insist upon, institute, intake, intimate, invent, issue, join, judge, junction, kidney, kin, kind, knock off, label, lay aboard, lay for, lay in, layout, leaning, let slip, liberate, lie in, lift, line, lot, lunge at, make, make amends, make at, make away with, make believe, make do, make for, make good, make it, make it with, make known, make much of, make off, make off with, make out, make over, make peace, make room, make the grade, make tracks, make up, make up for, make way, makeup, making, manage, manner, manufacture, mark, matrix, mature, mental set, mention, merge in, metamorphose, mettle, mind, mind-set, mix, mixture, modality, mode, model, modify, mold, molding, mould, move, move aside, muddle through, mutate, name, naturalize, nature, navigate, net, net income, net receipts, number, oblige, observe, obtain, occasion, offset, on the make, operate, order, organic structure, organism, organization, organize, originate, output, overstate, pamper, parent, pass, patch together, pattern, patterning, pay, pay for, perceive, perform, perform as, perpetrate, persuade, persuasion, phylum, physique, piece together, piecing together, pilfer, pinch, place, plan, play, pocket, polish off, pop up, pounce upon, pour, practice, predilection, predisposition, prefabricate, preference, prepare, present, press, pressure, pretend, prevail upon, proceed, proceeds, proclivity, procreate, procure, produce, product, production, profits, promote, promulgate, propensity, prosecute, prosper, prototype, prove to be, provoke, publish, pull down, pull in, pull off, punch in, purloin, pushy, put, put away, put away for, put in, put in force, put into port, put out, put through, put to rights, put together, put up, putting together, race, raise, reach, read, realize, reap, rear, rearrange, receipt, receipts, receivables, receive, reckon, reconvert, record, rectify, redecorate, redress, reduce to, regurgitate, remedy, remodel, render, repay, represent, require, resolve into, restore, restrain, return, returns, reveal, revenue, reverse, ring in, rip off, rob, roll in, royalties, run, run away, run for, run for it, run off, run up, rush, rush at, sack, sail for, sanction, score, scram, scrape along, second crop, secure, seduce, see, select, serve, serve as, set, set afloat, set on foot, set right, set up, set upon, settle, setup, shape, shaping, shift, show, show up, sign, sign in, sign over, significant form, sire, skedaddle, slant, sort, spawn, species, square, stamp, stand for, start, steal, steer toward, storm, strain, streak, stream, stretch, stripe, structure, structuring, style, succeed, suggest, suppose, surge, surge back, survive, swipe, switch, synthesis, synthesize, take, take and do, take care of, take in, take off, take-in, takings, tectonics, temper, temperament, tendency, texture, the like of, the likes of, think, thrive, tidy up, tie, time in, tip off, tissue, total, transact, transfer, transform, transmute, travel, traverse, trend, tribe, triumph, turn, turn back, turn into, turn of mind, turn over, turn the trick, turn up, twist, type, understand, unearned income, unite in, up and do, urge, use force upon, vamoose, variety, vigorous, vintage, warp, warp and woof, weave, web, win, work, work out, wreak, write, write down, write out, yield