|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 11, 2019|
Sales and Marketing
GIZ-Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #108/2019
GIZ- Office Addis Ababa
As a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and international education work, GIZ – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit – is dedicated to building a future worth living around the world.
Around the world, we have over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including rural and economic development, education and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Together with our partners, we work to deliver flexible, effective and cost-effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
As a public-benefit German federal enterprise, we are committed to meeting our clients’ high standards of transparency and accountability. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is our main commissioning party. European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and national governments also benefit from our services.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been implementing development programs on behalf of the German government for over 40 years together with our national partners. The focus of our work in the country is on vocational education, sustainable use of natural resources, land management, and food security, biodiversity, and forestry. Other programs e.g. enhance the development of a sustainable textile sector and renewable energies in Ethiopia.
For GIZ Country Office in Addis Ababa, we are looking for a Team Leader - AIZ Hub, Events and Travel.
Application deadline: June 20, 2019
Place of Work: Addis Ababa
A. Overall Responsibilities
In this newly created position, the team leader will be in charge of supervising the travel & events unit. The unit is tasked with planning, organizing and managing training, events, and conferences at the GIZ Country Office in Addis Ababa or at other locations in Ethiopia, as well as booking flight tickets and hotel and supporting visa procedures. The unit is also tasked with building up a regional AIZ Training Hub in Addis Ababa. The unit works in close cooperation with the GIZ Academy for International Cooperation (AIZ) in Germany which is in charge of training, as well as with the projects in Ethiopia. Furthermore, the unit also takes care of all formalities/services related to the stay of international staff in Ethiopia.
· Coordinating a team of approximately 5-6 members (consisting of experienced and new staff). Supervision, guidance and professional development of team members.
· Strategic planning and concept development related to the areas above.
· Coordinating with GIZ AIZ and GIZ headquarters
· Providing orientation for the team in relation to organizing and managing events with high-quality standards, in a cost-efficient way and in line with internal rules and regulations. Coordination with other involved units (Logistics, IT, etc.).
· Selection and supervision of external service providers (e.g. caterers, hotels, printing agencies for event material, technicians) as well as event speakers or moderators/facilitators to ensure high-quality standards of GIZ events. Regular evaluation and (if necessary) changing of service providers (in case of low quality, price increase, etc.).
· Assessing and continuously adapting/improving procedures for product delivery with the team and the clients (through feedback questionnaires to participants and internal clients, meetings, etc.).
· Development and implementation of communication standards (e.g. response times with clients and other involved departments, invitations to participants, etc.).
· Co-ordination and best-practice exchange with other GIZ Training Hubs.
· Ensuring quality and authorizing relevant processes (by way of signing related documents)
· Financial reporting: Comparison of budgets with effective costs per event.
· Implementation of GIZ corporate design standards and visual guidelines.
A. Required educational qualifications, professional experience, and competency
· Master’s degree in events, marketing, public relations/communications, or related field
· Professional experience of at least 7 years in an international environment, preferably as Team Leader.
· A proven track record of organizing large-scale events or training.
· Fluent (speaking and writing) in Amharic and in English.
· Good knowledge of German (speaking and writing) would be a significant advantage.
B. Personal and social competency
· Combination of analytical skills and managerial skills.
· Strategic thinking; ability to develop and implement strategies to further advance and improve the services offered
· Ability to perform tasks efficiently and professionally in a highly organized manner.
· Highly service-oriented character and communicator
· Solution-oriented mindset.
· Ability to manage complex procedures and meet deadlines.
· Takes over responsibility for the tasks assigned to her/him and carries them out independently.
· Good team leader; ability to advise internal and external partners.
· Shows own initiative and creative thinking in developing optimized, client-oriented procedures and instruments.
· Exhibits conscientiousness, reliability, integrity, loyalty, commitment, and perseverance.
· Has flexibility, is willing to learn and improve, has a constructive approach to challenges.
· Ability to work under pressure, strong team orientation and negotiation skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Team Leader - AIZ Hub, Events and Travel #108/2019’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to a large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged