|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 2, 2019|
Chemonics International seeks experienced professionals for the USAID-funded Global Health Supply Chain - Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project. GHSC-PSM Ethiopia will serve as the primary vehicle through which USAID will procure and furnish health commodities, provide technical assistance to improve the country’s management of the supply chain and collaborate with key international stakeholders to support global and local health initiatives.
The project is currently seeking qualified Short-Term Quality Management Systems Consultant to be based at central EPSA office with some travels to Adama and Hawassa EPSA branches, as required. The GHSC-PSM short-term Quality Management Systems Consultant is responsible for providing technical support for the implementation of the quality management system (ISO 9001:2015) at EPSA to improve its business processes and enhance the efficiency of its performance. She/he supports EPSA to fulfill requirements that will ultimately ensure QMS certification. Please see the criteria below for details:
The purpose of the Global Health Supply Chain– Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) Program is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities in support of United States Government (USG)-funded public health initiatives around the world. The project provides direct procurement and supply chain management support to the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and Population and Reproductive Health. In supporting USG-funded global health activities, GHSC-PSM will develop and manage a wide array of services for health commodity procurement and related systems strengthening technical assistance encompassing different elements of a comprehensive supply chain.
At the country level, GHSC-PSM supports country strategies and priorities that fall under the following three project objectives:
- Global Commodity Procurement and Logistics
- Systems Strengthening Technical Assistance
- Global and local collaboration to improve the availability of health commodities
The Ethiopian Pharmaceutical Supply Agency (EPSA) is a public-sector health commodity supply agency located in Addis Ababa and operates throughout the country through its 19 regional hubs/branches. Recently, the agency has been reviewing and implementing initiatives aimed at improving its core and support business processes. In line with its transformation agenda, EPSA has also started the process to implement ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System to institute the culture of quality practice in the agency’s supply chain operations. The GHSC-PSM short-term Quality Management Systems Consultant is responsible for providing technical support for the implementation of the quality management system (ISO 9001:2015) at EPSA to improve its business processes and enhance the efficiency of its performance. She/he supports EPSA to fulfill requirements that will ultimately ensure QMS certification. Through this support, GHSC-PSM envisages accelerating QMS implementation at EPSA. The consultant will be expected to conduct a thorough assessment of EPSA in fulfilling QMS requirements, develop a detailed action plan to fulfill gaps, work with the technical taskforce to implement the plan, and ensure successful implementation at central EPSA and two selected branches.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Review existing system & perform a gap analysis at this point in time to determine what requires to be undertaken to implement ISO 9001:2015 QMS successfully and produce a report that clearly shows the gap for immediate intervention;
- Provide orientation for EPSA top management on ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Systems.
- Develop a comprehensive implementation plan/customization of existing ones with a clear set of activities, deadlines, roles & responsibilities, resources, milestones and monitoring, and evaluation tool so as to ensure implementation is controlled and well managed.
- Provide support in developing QMS documentation to comply with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 and preparing mandatory ISO documents required by the standard.
- Conduct regular and frequent site visit for coaching, mentoring & discussion sessions with staff during all the distinct phases of the implementation at EPSA head office and two selected branches.
- Work on the creation, approval, update, distribution, and control of documented information based on ISO 9001:2015 QMS, and also support/conduct orientation to EPSA staff to be able to know the documented information related to their work.
- Work closely with QMS taskforce in the formulation of new processes and SOPs whenever necessary within an agreed time frame.
- Assist the organization to develop a risk-based approach to the identification of risks & opportunities, actions to address risks and opportunities as well as the establishment of quality policy and quality objectives.
- Undertake training/orientation of staff as necessary and sensitization training on ISO 9001:2015 to all staff of the agency.
- Guide and support to empower EPSA leadership to continually reinforce the general workforce to see the benefits of the QMS implementation project and ensure that they maintain focus and motivation for the implementation.
- Assist the agency to determine the extent of documented information appropriate to its activities, complexity of processes, products & services and competence of personnel taking into consideration the current QMS documentation available to be maintained and retained.
- Determine documents of the current QMS which ought to be retained and discarded based on the relevance.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Level of Effort and Location
- This short-term position will be based at central EPSA office and include travels to GHSC-PSM office, Adama and Hawassa EPSA hubs, as needed.
Duration of assignment
- This is a part-time job (at least three working days per week) and the contract will be from July 15 to September 30, 2019, with possible extension.
- The Short-term Quality Management Systems Short-term Consultant will report directly to the GHSC-PSM Learning and Innovation Manager and will work closely with GHSC-PSM Innovation specialist. She/he will also be accountable for EPSA.
- Advanced degree in pharmacy, supply chain, management, economics, and related fields; background in pharmacy/health supply chain is preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in implementing QMS in Ethiopian institutions; preferably supply chain organizations.
- Able to produce QMS certificates of competence from a recognized organization
- Able to produce evidence of previous experiences related to QMS design, development and implementation in other organizations
- Able to demonstrate successful past performance in QMS implementation
- Experience in auditing QMS implementing organizations
- Demonstrated ability to work with partners in implementing complex programs. USAID experience preferred.
- Skilled in actively working in high-performing teams and deliver expected result
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Fluency in English required.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
How to Apply
To apply, please use the following link to submit your application: [email protected]. Please specify the position title as the subject line in your application through and submit no later than July 07, 2019. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted. Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.