|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 11, 2019|
Development and Project Management
Pathfinder International is a global leader in sexual and reproductive health. We place reproductive health care at the center of all that we do—believing that it is not only a fundamental human right, but is critical for expanding life opportunities for women, families, communities, and nations, and paving the way for transformations in environmental stewardship, decreases in population pressures, and innovations in poverty reduction. Pathfinder provides women, men, and adolescents with a range of quality health services—from contraception and maternal care to HIV prevention and AIDS care and treatment. Pathfinder strives to strengthen access to family planning, advocate for sound reproductive health policies, and, through all of our work, improve the rights and lives of the people we serve.
TRANSFORM/Primary Health Care (PHC) is a USAID funded project to improve healthcare outcomes to End Preventable Child and Maternal Deaths (EPCMD) in Ethiopia, which in turn support Government of Ethiopia’s efforts within the Health Sector Transformation Plan (HSTP). TRANSFORM/PHC will operate in the four most populous regions of Ethiopia (Amhara, Oromia, Tigray and Southern Nations, Nationalities and People’s Region). This will be accomplished in part by mitigating the drivers of child and maternal mortality in Ethiopia’s most populous regions through the facilitation and implementation of quality health service delivery; improved management and performance of health systems; and implementation of innovative and evidence-based social behavioral change and communication interventions. TRANSFORM/PHCU will strengthen the capacity of the health system to effectively use management tools and implement best practices at all levels of the health system and health care delivery with a major focus at the primary care level that includes primary hospitals and PHCUs.
The Deputy MEL Director is mainly responsible for coordinating the knowledge management and Collaborating Learning and Adapting (CLA) activities. He/she will have a role in Knowledge generation and sharing using different forums. He/ she is expected to work with thematic teams to identify an intervention that is working or not working as understood from the ongoing project implementation. He/ She will play a pivotal role in the process of changing research results and project data into knowledge and practice. He/ She is also assisting the MEL Director to follow the implementation of the M&E system.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Coordinate the process of changing research results into knowledge and practice using different strategies
· Facilitate the implementation of Collaborating Learning and Adapting (CLA) approach to making the project more efficient and effective
· Review project data and draw lessons and share with project advisors for action, and follow the implementation
· Assist project advisor to identify what is working and not working, and document to tell the stories
· Assist project advisors to use the lesson for adaptive management-use of data to improve project implementation by cores correction
· Design and implement a special study that can contribute to knowledge creation to the project
· Arrange/ coordinate internal learning forum at which program team learn among each other
· Coordinate an external forum, in collaboration with Transform/MELA, at which project and partners staffs learn among each other
· Identify areas for learning from project data/reports
· Support project thematic advisers in identifying innovative ideas for Project implementation
· Produce quarterly and annual reports for the donor, and a special annual report for communication purpose to the wider public
· Contributes to the production of quarterly program newsletter by collaborating with other teams and the editorial committee.
· Prepares periodic technical briefers; compendiums of studies and research, including operational research undertakings, conducted by the various programs, and distributes same documents and/or disseminates results from such studies.
· Build the capacity of regional and sub-regional MEL officers in CLA
· Assist the MEL Director to follow the implementation of the M&E system
. Carries out all other duties as deemed necessary
- Ability and willingness to travel to regions and woredas as needed.
- Master’s degree in public health, health/development economics, demography, sociology or related fields.
- Minimum of eight years of experience in identifying and documenting best practices, success stories and reportable lessons in the areas of health.
- Experience in building staff’s capacity in identifying best practices and use program information to improve program implementation is required.
- Health background with outstanding writing and editing skills in both English (major working language) and Amharic is a must.
- Outstanding analytical and documentation skills and proficient verbal presentation talent is required.
- Ability to perform well under pressure in a fast-paced work environment, shifting priorities, and multiple deadlines.
- Experience in using software packages, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, Photoshop, etc
How to Apply
Pathfinder International invites eligible candidates to submit their applications via [email protected] on or before June 21, 2019
Applicants should write the position title on the subject line of their email and send only Cover letter and CV. No additional document is required.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Pathfinder is an equal opportunity employer and only shortlisted applicants will be Contacted.