Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
teodroseIII

Hannah Giorgis’s Devastating Critique of Senator Kamala Harris

Post by teodroseIII » 14 Jan 2019, 10:58

In the age of news as you want it and agitprop supplanting journalism, it is getting harder and harder to find analysis that tells it like it is without bias. That is why I was captivated by Hannah Giorgis’s article about Kamala Harris that I read last night. It was a compelling piece of journalism, one that compared Harris’s rhetoric with her actual record during her tenure as a US District Attorney and California’s Attorney General.

Reading Giorgis’s article reminded me of the era of the muckrakers, a time when journalists made it their mission to root out corruption and shine a light on the hypocrisy of the ruling class. Journalists like Ida Tarbell, Upton Sinclair and Lincoln Steffens courageously exposed the insidious intersection of big business and government. This spirit of truth-telling sans hidden agendas is rarely found these days as too many journalists act like political operatives instead of reporting the facts.

What makes Giorgis’s assessment so riveting is how she deftly interweaves pop culture with wonk, she systematically dismantles Harris’s memoir by contrasting her platitudes to her actions before she became a Senator.

“Recounting her years as a district attorney, for instance, she tells a fairly cringeworthy story in which she responded to colleagues’ racist assumptions about an arrested man—his music taste was deemed evidence of his gang involvement—by interjecting that she, too, had a “tape of that rapper.” It’s the kind of ostensibly anti-racist gotcha!that might easily earn a “yass!” gif in response if...continued...

Read full article at: https://ghionjournal.com/hannah-giorgis ... la-harris/