Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Digital Weyane
Member+

My Weyane Brother Mahlana Used the Word "ሓቃውያን"

Post by Digital Weyane » 28 Dec 2019, 04:34

My great Weyane brother Mahlana used the word ሓቃውያን instead of ኡውነታውያን in one of his latest anti Eritrea comments.

The word ሓቃውያን is widely used in Adwa, whereas in other parts of Tigray the word ኡውነታውያን is very common.

The gullible Shabo use the word ሓቀኛታት, because they believe the truth is constant that never changes, so they're foolishly keeping the word.

An old Adwa proverb: "To change the truth is good, but to change the word truth is even better."

Temt
Member+

Re: My Weyane Brother Mahlana Used the Word "ሓቃውያን"

Post by Temt » 28 Dec 2019, 05:15

Digital Weyane wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 04:34
My great Weyane brother Mahlana used the word ሓቃውያን instead of ኡውነታውያን in one of his latest anti Eritrea comments.

The word ሓቃውያን is widely used in Adwa, whereas in other parts of Tigray the word ኡውነታውያን is very common.

The gullible Shabo use the word ሓቀኛታት, because they believe the truth is constant that never changes, so they're foolishly keeping the word.

An old Adwa proverb: "To change the truth is good, but to change the word truth is even better."
ሓቃውያን LOL

Digital Weyane
Member+

Post by Digital Weyane » 28 Dec 2019, 15:47

My great Weyane brother Mahlana is ሓቃዊ ዘ ትግራዊ!

Abe Abraham

Post by Abe Abraham » 28 Dec 2019, 17:03

Digital Woyane,

You have used Shibboleth on Mahlana. Ok, that is fair but don't hurt him. Just identification is enough. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shibboleth

A shibboleth (/ˈʃɪbəlɛθ, -ɪθ/ (About this soundlisten))is any custom or tradition, usually a choice of phrasing or even a single word ( "ሓቃውያን" ), that distinguishes one group of people from another.Shibboleths have been used throughout history in many societies as passwords, simple ways of self-identification, signaling loyalty and affinity, maintaining traditional segregation, or protecting from real or perceived threats.

Origin

The term originates from the Hebrew word shibbólet (שִׁבֹּלֶת), which literally means the part of a plant containing grain, such as the head of a stalk of wheat or rye;or less commonly (but arguably more appositely) "flood, torrent".

The modern use derives from an account in the Hebrew Bible, in which pronunciation of this word was used to distinguish Ephraimites, whose dialect used a differently sounding first consonant. The difference concerns the Hebrew letter shin, which is now pronounced as [ʃ] (as in shoe).In the Book of Judges, chapter 12, after the inhabitants of Gilead inflicted a military defeat upon the invading tribe of Ephraim (around 1370–1070 BCE), the surviving Ephraimites tried to cross the River Jordan back into their home territory and the Gileadites secured the river's fords to stop them. To identify and kill these Ephraimites, the Gileadites told each suspected survivor to say the word shibboleth. The Ephraimite dialect resulted in a pronunciation that, to Gileadites, sounded like sibboleth. In the King James Bible the anecdote appears thus (with the word already in its current English spelling):

And the Gileadites took the passages of Jordan before the Ephraimites: and it was so, that when those Ephraimites which were escaped said, Let me go over; that the men of Gilead said unto him, Art thou an Ephraimite? If he said, Nay;

Then said they unto him, Say now Shibboleth: and he said Sibboleth: for he could not frame to pronounce it right. Then they took him, and slew him at the passages of Jordan: and there fell at that time of the Ephraimites forty and two thousand.[/i]
— Judges 12:5–6 KJV
Examples

Main article: List of shibboleths

Shibboleths have been used by different subcultures throughout the world at different times. Regional differences, level of expertise, and computer coding techniques are several forms that shibboleths have taken.

The legend goes that before the Guldensporenslag (Battle of the Golden Spurs) in May 1302, the Flemish slaughtered every Frenchman they could find in the city of Bruges, an act known as the Brugse Metten.[18] They identified Frenchmen based on their inability to pronounce the Flemish phrase schild en vriend (shield and friend), or possibly 's Gilden vriend (friend of the Guilds). However, many Medieval Flemish dialects did not contain the cluster sch- either (even today's Kortrijk dialect has sk-), and Medieval French rolled the r just as Flemish did.[19]

Bûter, brea, en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries

Bûter, brea, en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries means "[deleted], rye bread and green cheese, whoever cannot say that is not a genuine Frisian" and was used by the Frisian Pier Gerlofs Donia during a Frisian rebellion (1515–1523). Ships whose crew could not pronounce this properly were usually plundered and soldiers who could not were beheaded by Donia himself.[20]

The Dutch used the name of the seaside town of Scheveningen as a shibboleth to tell Germans from the Dutch ("Sch" in Dutch is analyzed as the letter "s" and the digraph "ch", producing the consonant cluster [sx], while in German it is analyzed as the trigraph "sch," pronounced [ʃ]).[21][22][23]

In Sardinia, 28 April is celebrated as sa dii de s'aciappa (the day of pursuit and capture) or Sa die de sa Sardigna (Sardinia's Day). On that date in 1794 people in Cagliari chased suspected officers of the ruling Piedmontese king and asked them to say nara cixidi (Sardinian for ‘chickpea’), which the Piedmontese could not pronounce. Some 514 officers were thus identified and sent back to the mainland.

In October 1937, the Spanish word for parsley, perejil, was used as a shibboleth to identify Haitian immigrants living along the border in the Dominican Republic. The president of the Dominican Republic, Rafael Trujillo, ordered the execution of these people. It is alleged that between 20,000 and 30,000 individuals were murdered within a few days in the Parsley Massacre, although more recent scholarship and the lack of evidence such as mass graves puts the actual total closer to 1,000.[24]

During the Black July riots of Sri Lanka in 1983, many Tamils were massacred by Sinhalese youths. In many cases these massacres took the form of boarding buses and getting the passengers to pronounce words that had hard BAs at the start of the word (like Baldiya – bucket) and executing the people who found it difficult.[25][26]

During World War II, some United States soldiers in the Pacific theater used the word lollapalooza as a shibboleth to challenge unidentified persons, on the premise that Japanese people often pronounce the letter L as R or confuse Rs with Ls.[27] In Oliver Gramling's Free Men are Fighting: The Story of World War II (1942) the author notes that, in the war, Japanese spies would often approach checkpoints posing as American or Filipino military personnel. A shibboleth such as "lollapalooza" would be used by the sentry, who, if the first two syllables come back as rorra, would "open fire without waiting to hear the remainder".[28]

During the Allied breakout from the Normandy beachheads in 1944, hand-to-hand fighting occurred throughout the hedgerows and thick undergrowth of the Norman countryside. British and American troops were told to use the word "Thunderer" as a countersign through the thick foliage. Given the number of syllables and the leading "th" sound, it was believed that the word would invariably be mispronounced by native German speakers.[citation needed]

During The Troubles in Northern Ireland, use of the name Derry or Londonderry for the province's second-largest city was often taken as an indication of the speaker's political stance, and as such frequently implied more than simply naming the location.[29] The pronunciation of the name of the letter H is a related shibboleth, with Catholics and Protestants often pronouncing the letter differently[citation needed].

In Australia and New Zealand, the words "fish and chips" are often used to highlight the difference in each country's short-i vowel sound [ɪ] and asking someone to say the phrase can identify which country they are from. Australian English has a higher forward sound , close to the y in happy and city, while New Zealand English has a lower backward sound [ɘ], a slightly higher version of the a in about and comma. Thus, New Zealanders hear Australians say "feesh and cheeps," while Australians hear New Zealanders say "fush and chups."[30]

Weyane.is.dead
Member+

Post by Weyane.is.dead » 29 Dec 2019, 02:10

Hes just a low iq agame with 100 aliases usually responding to each other to make it look like there's many of them. Denkoro tplf rats are so predictable. :mrgreen:
Digital Weyane wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 15:47
My great Weyane brother Mahlana is ሓቃዊ ዘ ትግራዊ!

Abe Abraham

Post by Abe Abraham » 29 Dec 2019, 03:06