Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Revelations
Senior Member+

Djibouti to host Ethiopia’s Navy [Capital]

Post by Revelations » 02 Dec 2019, 14:33

Ethiopia’s new Navy will be based in Djibouti and the naval command head office will be in Bahir Dar. When Abiy Ahmed became Prime Minister, he announced that the country would rebuild its navy, redeeming its dissolution which occurred during the regime change in 1991 when the nation lost its water outlets.

Although the government announced they would resurrect the navy again its base had not yet been decided on. Assumptions were the location would be in Eritrea, Djibouti, or Sudan. A source following the case, told Capital that the government has decided to locate its initial base at Djibouti.
Sources indicated that during his latest travel to Djibouti on the third week of October the naval base issue was discussed by Abiy with Ismail Omar Guelleh, President of Djibouti.

France is helping the Ethiopian government rebuild the naval force and currently some of the naval personnel have already trained in France, a major power supportive of Ethiopia’s reforms.

Sources familiar with the issue say Ethiopia’s under formation navy has opened a temporary office at the facility which the Metal and Engineering Corporation (MetEC) uses as a head office around Mexico Square, separately from Ministry of Defense.

Sources said the naval command in Ethiopia will be based in Bahir Dar, capital of Amhara region. Brigadier General Kindu Gezu, is leading the reestablishment process in the position of Navy Force Commander, while the search continues for a formal Chief Commander, expected to come to conclusion in the coming weeks.

The military has been the pioneer of the reform agenda since Abiy came to power, he has stated that the reform should follow the dynamism of the world and the region.

A year ago Abiy said: “We built one of the strongest ground and air forces in Africa now we should build our naval force capacity.”

Since the separation of Eritrea, Ethiopia has become a landlocked country with the biggest population in that world that does not have sea port. However several recommended in this hostile region the country needs to have naval forces, for the last 28 years it has only had commercial vessels some of which are operated by former naval personnel.

Abiy’s first official visit was to Djibouti when the countries agreed on several things including swapping shares on enterprises in both countries and that Ethiopia would take stakes in Djibouti ports and develop a new port.

Before the PM came to power in April 2018, an Ethiopian delegation visited Obock, a small coastal town located on the northern shore of the Gulf of Tadjoura in Djibouti, to evaluate the area for a future port to be built by Ethiopia.

It is not confirmed if the naval base will be settled around Djibouti City like other bases or far from the capital.

Djibouti is connected with Ethiopia by two asphalt roads via Afar and Somali region and the modern electronic railway line to the major port outlet for Ethiopia. The country has already entertained big powers in the world including France and China to settle their military bases along its coastal lines.
Capital tried to get more information from the Press Secretary at the Office of the Prime Minister, the Ministry of Defense and Ministry of Foreign Affairs but was unable to do so.

https://www.capitalethiopia.com/feature ... pias-navy/

Revelations
Senior Member+

Re: Djibouti to host Ethiopia’s Navy [Capital]

Post by Revelations » 02 Dec 2019, 15:01

Please wait, video is loading...

Revelations
Senior Member+

Post by Revelations » 02 Dec 2019, 15:11

Tog Wajale

Post by Tog Wajale » 02 Dec 2019, 15:17

That Is Nonestareter At All, It Is A Threat To Eritrean Navy In Red Sea Areas. The Mighty Of The Horn Shaebia Eritrea Will Not Allow It. 1000% Guaranteed Take It To Swiss Bank Now.

Revelations
Senior Member+

Post by Revelations » 02 Dec 2019, 16:28

info

Post by info » 02 Dec 2019, 17:00

Politically the most safe choice.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=178038&p=893062#p893062
info wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 05:02
I don't think Eritrea is the location. That would not be a good move right now may be in 20 or 30 years but now it will send the wrong message and some idiots will fight on it. Currently, Djibouti is the only option that is also politically safe. Even though we have good relations with Somaliland and Eritrea, I think politically it will be more damaging to build our navy on their soil. Too many low IQ morons are around in the horn who will interpret it as invasion or what not. And our own morons will understand it as if these countries wanted to unite with Ethiopia. With so many morons around, the best option we have currently is only Djibouti.

Hawzen
Member+

Post by Hawzen » 02 Dec 2019, 19:55

info wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 17:00
Politically the most safe choice.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=178038&p=893062#p893062
info wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 05:02
I don't think Eritrea is the location. That would not be a good move right now may be in 20 or 30 years but now it will send the wrong message and some idiots will fight on it. Currently, Djibouti is the only option that is also politically safe. Even though we have good relations with Somaliland and Eritrea, I think politically it will be more damaging to build our navy on their soil. Too many low IQ morons are around in the horn who will interpret it as invasion or what not. And our own morons will understand it as if these countries wanted to unite with Ethiopia. With so many morons around, the best option we have currently is only Djibouti.
The credibility of your prophecies and your brilliant analysis are very much appreciated. We need more cool headed and smart people like you.

Thank you, brother info!!!

Dedebit is always dedeb!!!
R.I.P Abay Tigray and TPLF!!!

Revelations
Senior Member+

Post by Revelations » 02 Dec 2019, 22:31

Digital Weyane
Member+

Post by Digital Weyane » 02 Dec 2019, 22:33

We Weyane warned dictator Abiy that, if he open an Ethiopian naval base in Eritrea, we Weyane would open a Tigray naval base in Egypt.

He's lucky he heed our warning and chose Djibouti instead.

ittuabafarda

Post by ittuabafarda » 02 Dec 2019, 22:53

Great news!!!

Fiyameta

Post by Fiyameta » 02 Dec 2019, 23:04

France, which spends one million dollars a day to operate its military base in Djibouti, can save billions dollars a year by pulling out the bulk of its naval forces from Djibouti, to be replaced by Ethiopian navy serving under French commanders for a fraction of the cost.

President Obama also did the same thing in Somalia and saved US tax payers billions of dollars by hiring the TPLF mercenary forces who replaced US troops in Somalia. It costs nearly $250,000 a year to feed, clothe, arm, deploy and pay an American solider, but it only cost $1,200 a year to hire a TPLF mercenary soldier for as little as $100 a month, plus food aid.

It is critical for heavily indebted African countries to find new ways to generate revenue to service the debt and, unfortunately, the only available resource for such underdeveloped poor countries is their ballooning unemployed youth population, who can either work as soldiers-of-fortune for world powers, or as domestic workers in the Middle East.

It's the debt, stupid! Hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

opmerc

Post by opmerc » 03 Dec 2019, 00:20

Fiyameta wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 23:04
France, which spends one million dollars a day to operate its military base in Djibouti, can save billions dollars a year by pulling out the bulk of its naval forces from Djibouti, to be replaced by Ethiopian navy serving under French commanders for a fraction of the cost.

President Obama also did the same thing in Somalia and saved US tax payers billions of dollars by hiring the TPLF mercenary forces who replaced US troops in Somalia. It costs nearly $250,000 a year to feed, clothe, arm, deploy and pay an American solider, but it only cost $1,200 a year to hire a TPLF mercenary soldier for as little as $100 a month, plus food aid.

It is critical for heavily indebted African countries to find new ways to generate revenue to service the debt and, unfortunately, the only available resource for such underdeveloped poor countries is their ballooning unemployed youth population, who can either work as soldiers-of-fortune for world powers, or as domestic workers in the Middle East.

I don't know where you got the idea that Ethiopia is doing this to service it's debt. Or who you think will be paying Ethiopia to patrol those waters. Ethiopia's debt to GDP ratio is at 60%. Not only is that a relatively healthy level of debt, it literally means it is within our country's earning capacity to pay off. You must be thinking of some other countries, like Eritrea perhaps which is currently at 113% GDP to debt ratio.

The reason for establishing a navy is the same reason a country has to have an army or an air force. Our economy is gearing itself to be more export oriented which means our needs to ship goods out is only going to continue to grow. When this traffic increases, crime targeting it will grow with it. We will need to make sure all the goods are safe leaving this area. The conglomerates we are trying to attract will also want guarantees that we are able to safeguard that area for their ships. There are also other geopolitical needs like making sure we not under-leveraged by the Arabs who are expanding their presence in the area.

But if you have some facts to share with us about Ethiopia's plan to somehow service it's external debt by starting a Navy with external debt, please do share. If not, it's best not to speculate with fanciful theories.

quindibu

Post by quindibu » 03 Dec 2019, 00:45

I have no comment in Ethiopia's desire to own a navy force.......But I'm always amused by people who can't see the paradox in their own statements.
Do as I say, not as I do?
opmerc wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 00:20

But if you have some facts to share with us ............. please do share. If not, it's best not to speculate with fanciful theories.
opmerc wrote:

Our economy is gearing itself to be more export oriented which means our needs to ship goods out is only going to continue to grow. When this traffic increases, crime targeting it will grow with it. We will need to make sure all the goods are safe leaving this area. The conglomerates we are trying to attract will also want guarantees that we are able to safeguard that area for their ships. :roll: :roll:

opmerc

Post by opmerc » 03 Dec 2019, 01:00

quindibu wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 00:45
I have no comment in Ethiopia's desire to own a navy force.......But I'm always amused by people who can't see the paradox in their own statements.
Do as I say, not as I do?
Find me the paradox and I'll happily concede to it.

Our economy is leaning heavy on textile manufacturing. That means producing items that get shipped out to US, European and Asian markets. We are also currently very weak on internal industries, which means for the long to medium future, we will need to import a lot of what we need to grow and build our cities. This means a lot of traffic of goods coming in and out. This area is already notorious for being lawless and pirate infested. It's either protect this growing traffic ourselves or pay someone else to do it for us with precious FX. Doing it ourselves means we don't spend FX on someone else to do it. The other geopolitical reason is also a real concern when those Arab countries are building bases all around the area.

So yes everything I've said is basic fact. Just because you are paranoid about it being for some other reason doesn't mean those facts stop being true.

ittuabafarda

Post by ittuabafarda » 03 Dec 2019, 01:06

I have a fond memory of the old Ethiopian navy from my days in the former British Protectorate of Aden. One day my Adopter Hadrami uncle woke me up to tell me that my cousins were in town with their ship. To him every person from the old country was and must be my cousin which made me feel worth priceless. I saw them in their elegant uniforms. I think three of them were from Eritrea fluent in Arabic and one of them was an Oromo from the vicinity of the capital. My uncle was able to find them what they were looking for which was mostly ladies accessories, watches, cameras and small handguns. That was in the early 1960's. They all looked athletic and physically in excellent shape. Believe me I had seen how others looked like such as those fat cats from Egypt

Dawi

Post by Dawi » 03 Dec 2019, 01:12

opmerc wrote:
Ethiopian navy serving under French commanders for a fraction of the cost.
Fiyameta,

Is that supposed to be a complement or a put down? I take it as the latter.

Ethiopia is building its own Navy; It already have the only African owned Shipping lines in Africa; So, France have its own interest but, who is going to be the personnel and running the show with an Ethiopian Navy? Why the put down?

[[...The Ethiopian shipping lines (probably top in Africa) has served the country for the past 47 years, transporting cargo safely throughout instability in neighboring countries, and is run by highly qualified national top management and shipping experts, both ashore and on board vessels. It is the leading indigenous shipping company within the COMESA countries. ...The Ethiopian Maritime Training Institute has been established through strategic partnerships in accordance with the global maritime practices and standards to train and educate over 1,000 marine engineering officers annually, making Ethiopia a major exporter of high-quality marine professionals to the global maritime labour market. The government of Ethiopia gives full-scale support...]]

What makes you think we need "French Commanders"? Is that an "Ascari" mentality or what?

For all we know, Eritrean maids are the only direct beneficiaries of UAE Asab military base? Am I wrong?

You want our Navy? Say so openly!

Stop being muddle headed!
Fiyameta wrote:

Last edited by Dawi on 03 Dec 2019, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

quindibu

Post by quindibu » 03 Dec 2019, 01:13

opmerc wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 01:00
Find me the paradox and I'll happily concede to it.
Forgive me for my ignorance. I didn't know these 'conglomerates' have been guarded by your force when they deliver their annual aid to you......Well....until you start shipping them your textiles in exchange. Besides, I'm sure the navy might come in handy in sheltering the millions internally displaced Ethiopians.......

God Save Ethiopia From Its Children!

opmerc

Post by opmerc » 03 Dec 2019, 01:42

quindibu wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 01:13
Forgive me for my ignorance. I didn't know these 'conglomerates' have been guarded by your force when they deliver their annual aid to you......Well....until you start shipping them your textiles in exchange. Besides, I'm sure the navy might come in handy in sheltering the millions internally displaced Ethiopians.......

God Save Ethiopia From Its Children!
What are you even talking about? I didn't say they have been guarded by our forces in the past. Why would they? I'm talking about when large multi-national companies aka conglomerates look to invest in countries and they evaluate Ethiopia, as they currently are, to build export driven businesses. They will want assurances that the products they are shipping out from these businesses won't be hijacked before they get to their destination. If those risks still exist, they will elect to invest elsewhere.. Removing this risk is something that we need to solve to be more attractive. Sorry if this basic notion confused you.

As for aid that's delivered to my country, it arrives being safe guarded by the governments that send it. You should know that. Both our countries get the same deal on that.

And not sure how you figure a navy will come in handy sheltering INTERNALLY displaced people. They would have to be displaced externally, you know, like in the ocean. Does the basic difference between land and water confuse you too?

Fiyameta

Post by Fiyameta » 03 Dec 2019, 02:08

opmerc wrote:
Fiyameta wrote:

I don't know where you got the idea that Ethiopia is doing this to service it's debt. Or who you think will be paying Ethiopia to patrol those waters. Ethiopia's debt to GDP ratio is at 60%. Not only is that a relatively healthy level of debt, it literally means it is within our country's earning capacity to pay off. You must be thinking of some other countries, like Eritrea perhaps which is currently at 113% GDP to debt ratio.

The reason for establishing a navy is the same reason a country has to have an army or an air force. Our economy is gearing itself to be more export oriented which means our needs to ship goods out is only going to continue to grow. When this traffic increases, crime targeting it will grow with it. We will need to make sure all the goods are safe leaving this area. The conglomerates we are trying to attract will also want guarantees that we are able to safeguard that area for their ships. There are also other geopolitical needs like making sure we not under-leveraged by the Arabs who are expanding their presence in the area.

But if you have some facts to share with us about Ethiopia's plan to somehow service it's external debt by starting a Navy with external debt, please do share. If not, it's best not to speculate with fanciful theories.
You should at least watch Abiy's video I posted below before replying to my comments. He said, when he came to power, Ethiopia's Foreign Exchange reserves had hit rock bottom-- it was only adequate for one month's worth of imports. It is pretty much the same thing as what Albert Einstein said about humans having only 4 months to live if the bees were to disappear from the face of the Earth.

Foreign debt is paid using foreign exchange reserves, and if that's not available, as is the case in Ethiopia, then placing yourself at the service of foreign powers to service the debt is the only available option.

Keep in mind that, it was the $1 billion dollar US aid given to Ethiopia every year that helped the TPLF survive the last 27 years, and with Trump slashing foreign aid to fulfill his campaign promises, Abiy's ally Eritrea arranged a United Arab Emirates' $3 billion dollar in aid and investment for Ethiopia to keep the country's financial head above water.

Ethiopia's debt to the IMF and the World Bank still needs to be paid back in full.

If France had ground forces, as opposes to naval forces, in Djibouti, the headlines today would read "Djibouti to host Ethiopian ground forces." But the French only have naval forces in Djibouti, and they want to save billions of dollars a year by taking advantage of a highly indebted African country to provide them with cheap naval forces. In addition, this will also help France to no longer be seen as a colonizer of its former colony of Djibouti.

The same method was employed by the US administration in 1952, when Ethiopia was hired to occupy Eritrea on their behalf. Mercenary nations are always welfare states. The saddest thing in the world is not poverty or famine, it's the loss of human dignity.

opmerc

Post by opmerc » 03 Dec 2019, 02:50

Fiyameta wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 02:08
You should at least watch Abiy's video I posted below before replying to my comments. He said, when he came to power, Ethiopia's Foreign Exchange reserves had hit rock bottom-- it was only adequate for one month's worth of imports. It is pretty much the same thing as what Albert Einstein said about humans having only 4 months to live if the bees were to disappear from the face of the Earth.

Foreign debt is paid using foreign exchange reserves, and if that's not available, as is the case in Ethiopia, then placing yourself at the service of foreign powers to service the debt is the only available option.

Keep in mind that, it was the $1 billion dollar US aid given to Ethiopia every year that helped the TPLF survive the last 27 years, and with Trump slashing foreign aid to fulfill his campaign promises, Abiy's ally Eritrea arranged a United Arab Emirates' $3 billion dollar in aid and investment for Ethiopia to keep the country's financial head above water.

Ethiopia's debt to the IMF and the World Bank still needs to be paid back in full.

If France had ground forces, as opposes to naval forces, in Djibouti, the headlines today would read "Djibouti to host Ethiopian ground forces." But the French only have naval forces in Djibouti, and they want to save billions of dollars a year by taking advantage of a highly indebted African country to provide them with cheap naval forces. In addition, this will also help France to no longer be seen as a colonizer of its former colony of Djibouti.

The same method was employed by the US administration in 1952, when Ethiopia was hired to occupy Eritrea on their behalf. Mercenary nations are always welfare states. The saddest thing in the world is not poverty or famine, it's the loss of human dignity.
I didn't have to watch it from your link. I've already listened to that speech. He's talking about FX reserves, as in what we keep in the bank to supplement our FX earnings gap, and the governments capacity to pay off it's internal obligations (paying the army, doctors, teachers etc) left to him by TPLF at the time he took office. He talks about addressing this by freezing new spending as well as a combination of grants and loans that came from IMF and UAE principally. This has nothing to do with external debt or our capacity to pay that. Also nothing to do with using a navy to solve this already alleviated problem. It literally has nothing to do with what you said afterwards.

You are also wrong about France motivations. Highly indebted countries don't get access to more credit. Only ones with the ability to pay their bills or something worthwhile to offer do so. France's interests and military attention are in the francophone countries in the West and Central Africa. Besides Djibouti, it has no influence in HOA. France is interested in helping us build our navy for the same reason China wants to help us build our IT infrastructure. They want to grow this influence and lock us into their ecosystem so we rely on them long term. This is perfectly clear to me and more importantly to our leaders, as they have already mentioned it in other speeches, if you bothered to watch those. We go into it as a country with astute leaders who know what to gain from it in the short term and what to do to diversify for the long term.

I'm not even going to address the part on Eritrea 'arranging' the 3 billion dollar infusion. Too absurd.

So I'll repeat, if you have evidence the navy is being used for paying our debts, like actual evidence, go ahead and link to that so we can all learn from your wisdom. If not, just admit to your poor attempt at hiding your paranoia with insults and we can move on.