Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Mahlana

Bloomberg: Eritrea beats North Korea as world's most censored country

Post by Mahlana » 10 Sep 2019, 13:10

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ed-country

Eritrea Beats North Korea as World’s Most-Censored Country

September 10, 2019, 1:31 PM GMT+3
Updated on September 10, 2019, 2:44 PM GMT+3

Eritrea is the world’s most censored state, even worse than North Korea, according to media watchdog Committee to Protect Journalists.

The reclusive Horn of Africa nation shut down all independent media in 2001 and is the “worst jailer” of journalists in sub-Saharan Africa, with at least 16 in detention by the end of 2018, most of them imprisoned since the crackdown, CPJ said in a report published Tuesday.

In June, more than 100 African writers, academics and rights activists wrote an open letter to President Isaias Afwerki requesting he allow a delegation to meet with the government and people who’ve been imprisoned. The request was rejected.

Among other countries that severely restrict media and harass or intimidate journalists into silence with detention as well as physical and digital surveillance are Turkmenistan, Saudi Arabia, China, Equatorial Guinea and Cuba, according to the organization.

Eritrean Information Minister Yemane G. Meskel did not immediately respond to a request for a comment.

eden
Member+

Re: Bloomberg: Eritrea beats North Korea as world's most censored country

Post by eden » 10 Sep 2019, 18:08

I pray for all their families and RIP those who passed in these jails. No end in sight for their suffering until HGDEF is pressured.
Mahlana wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 13:10
most of them imprisoned since the crackdown

YAY

Post by YAY » 10 Sep 2019, 19:02

Dear Eden: Pressure, like this, does not work with the Government of Eritrea as much as convincing does

I thought you were smarter than that. Get off your wishes horse, please. The leadership in the Government of Eritrea operates mainly based on conviction that something is truly and genuinely the best thing to do in the general consideration of matters of the Nation-State. Extreme pressure (threats of war, wars, other types of violence, siege, sanctions, coordinated antagonistic policies and practices of regime change of Weyyane-Etiyopiya and its allies/backers, etc.) were not good enough pressure to make it flinch. But when PM Abyot AHmed Aali offered a simple and honest offer of peace, love, fraternal reconciliation, and a call for cooperation, the Government of Eritrea reacted positively within a short time period. Keep this information in mind.

What I suggest that you do is to really tell the Weyyane leadership to do one simple and honest thing once in their lives: accept the border decision as Abiy did and let the virtual demarcation be done and finished on the ground. That is the door that leads towards peace between TPLF's Tigraiy and PFDJ's Eritrea. All other things would then take their own course, including TPLF's Tigraiy and Biherat Eritrea's goodwill relationship and improved press freedom in Eritrea.
eden wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 18:08
I pray for all their families and RIP those who passed in these jails. No end in sight for their suffering until HGDEF is pressured.
Mahlana wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 13:10
most of them imprisoned since the crackdown

eden
Member+

Post by eden » 10 Sep 2019, 19:32

By pressure, I mean from our own civil society for our own good. I don't mean external pressure