Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Somaliman

One Hell Of A Classic Song - Of Ali Birra!

Post by Somaliman » 08 Sep 2019, 18:11

Just relax and be positive!

EPRDF

Re: One Hell Of A Classic Song - Of Ali Birra!

Post by EPRDF » 08 Sep 2019, 18:58

Yes it is indeed a beautiful song, warya Somaliman.

You know what, once you crossed the border town of Welenchiti, Kereyu, the Shoa Oromo territory and when you hit Awash river and town, which is the starting line of former Harerghe province, all the way to ToQochale, then Hargeysa and toward south Benadir and port town of Kismayoo to the indian ocean, this kind of rhythm you just heard above is very common in Harer Oromo, Somali, Afar and Hareri traditional songs.
This kind of music and its rhythm is shared asset for this communities in this region. So, Since you are a Somaliman, no wonder, no surprise you like it. It is also a part of you.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 08 Sep 2019, 19:47

Habesha music is so monotonic, boring, and hell depressing, at least to me!

EPRDF

Post by EPRDF » 08 Sep 2019, 20:07

Warya Somaliman,

I don't know what you mean by hell depressing? Music is universal language. Whether Habesha, Ferenji, Indian, Arabic or Somali music, if it was produced by a talented musicians with a lovely rhytm and if it stole my attention, I am gonna love it. BTW all Habesha music is not the same. Amhara, Tigray, Guraghe,Southerners and Hareris, they all have their own melody and musical rhythm.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 08 Sep 2019, 20:51

EPRDF wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 20:07
Warya Somaliman,

I don't know what you mean by hell depressing? Music is universal language. Whether Habesha, Ferenji, Indian, Arabic or Somali music, if it was produced by a talented musicians with a lovely rhytm and if it stole my attention, I am gonna love it. BTW all Habesha music is not the same. Amhara, Tigray, Guraghe,Southerners and Hareris, they all have their own melody and musical rhythm.

Could you please post a certain typical of Amhara, Tigray, Guraghe, Southerners, and Hareris' melodies!

EPRDF

Post by EPRDF » 08 Sep 2019, 23:01

Somaliman wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 20:51
Could you please post a certain typical of Amhara, Tigray, Guraghe, Southerners, and Hareris' melodies!
It is my pleasure good neighbor. But I want you to make a note, for example, Amharic traditional songs and eskista dancing is diverse and various from region to region. The same is also true for Oromo traditional songs and cultural dancing as well.

here this classical music arranged by traditional instruments. Music from wollo, Amhara.

EPRDF

Post by EPRDF » 08 Sep 2019, 23:03

This is Guragegna. A kind of hip hop and jamming.

EPRDF

Post by EPRDF » 08 Sep 2019, 23:20

This is Tigrigna with its unique drum beat.

This is wolayta ,southern, got a typical African beat.

And Hareri melody with its indian and sewahili blend. I hope you enjoyed watching a bit of our diversity.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 09 Sep 2019, 19:01

Thank you for your efforts in shedding light on this for me!

Would you also please be able to post a very classical song in Tigrayan of Tigray in contrast with the Eritrean Tigrinya - in terms of classics of course.

EPRDF

Post by EPRDF » 09 Sep 2019, 21:59

Somaliman wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 19:01
Thank you for your efforts in shedding light on this for me!

Would you also please be able to post a very classical song in Tigrayan of Tigray in contrast with the Eritrean Tigrinya - in terms of classics of course.
Good neighbor,

To be honest with you, I cannot tell the difference between the Tigrigna speakers of Eritrea and Ethiopia just like I cannot tell the difference between Marehan & Darood. They speak the same language, their custom wear, traditional hair style, music and dance is identical. One needs to be born from the Tigrign family to tell the difference between the two.

However, per your request, I’m not good in selecting among Tigrigna songs but one thing that I can tell you though, Tigrigna song whether Eritrean or Ethiopian has the same style and follow the same pattern of the drum beat be it oldies or contemporary Tigrigna music.
So let's try this one you may like it.

Hazega/Tsazega.

Post by Hazega/Tsazega. » 14 Sep 2019, 00:00

Somaliman,

Thanks to you (or in trying to prove you wrong :lol: ), i looked up & rediscovered some songs for your enjoyment & Thank you for the Ali Birra find...

Had these a week ago & was going to post another time...but seems tarik is going down the same youtube rabbit hole i did...so trying to beat him to these

Here you go, if you enjoy Oud (click on the name to open in youtube)...and this legendary voice is anything but monotone...it will always take you on a journey & the upbeat on second half of almost all songs is euphoric.

Others and last one is my favorite (love the video)...

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 17 Sep 2019, 13:28

Thanks for posting the above videos. Interesting to know you also have "oud" style in your music! And the first video of Bereket Mengisteab - Bithti Gezana, is a remarkable easy listening piece!