Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Horus

Black Athena: Required Reading For Any Educated Ethiopian: Much of Ethiopic Is Proto Indo-European !!

Post by Horus » 07 Jan 2019, 01:15

I am Horus. If you want to get to the bottom of Ethiopian Egypt ancient connection - Read at least Volume 3. This book must be required for any Ethiopian social, anthropological and linguistics student at any level
…..
See source below

Could Greek philosophy be rooted in Egyptian thought? Is it possible that the Pythagorean theory was conceived on the shores of the Nile and the Euphrates rather than in ancient Greece? Could it be that much of Western civilization was formed on the “Dark Continent”? For almost two centuries, Western scholars have given little credence to the possibility of such scenarios.

In Black Athena, an audacious three-volume series that strikes at the heart of today’s most heated culture wars, Martin Bernal challenges Eurocentric attitudes by calling into question two of the longest-established explanations for the origins of classical civilization. To use his terms, the Aryan Model, which is current today, claims that Greek culture arose as the result of the conquest from the north by Indo-European speakers, or “Aryans,” of the native “pre-Hellenes.”

The Ancient Model, which was maintained in Classical Greece, held that the native population of Greece had initially been civilized by Egyptian and Phoenician colonists and that additional Near Eastern culture had been introduced to Greece by Greeks studying in Egypt and Southwest Asia. Moving beyond these prevailing models, Bernal proposes a Revised Ancient Model, which suggests that classical civilization in fact had deep roots in Afroasiatic cultures.

This long-awaited third and final volume of the series is concerned with the linguistic evidence that contradicts the Aryan Model of ancient Greece. Bernal shows how nearly 40 percent of the Greek vocabulary has been plausibly derived from two Afroasiatic languages—Ancient Egyptian and West Semitic. He also reveals how these derivations are not limited to matters of trade, but extended to the sophisticated language of politics, religion, and philosophy. This evidence, according to Bernal, greatly strengthens the hypothesis that in Greece an Indo-European–speaking population was culturally dominated by Ancient Egyptian and West Semitic speakers

Provocative, passionate, and colossal in scope, this volume caps a thoughtful rewriting of history that has been stirring academic and political controversy since the publication of the first volume.

Horus

Re: Black Athena: Required Reading For Any Educated Ethiopian: Much of Ethiopic Is Proto Indo-European !!

Post by Horus » 07 Jan 2019, 02:10

Here is my reason for posting this topic. Even thought I am formally a student of politics and psychology, I have been life long self-educated etymologist and philologist. Currently, I think the only formally trained expert philologist is Prof. Getachew Haile. The late Abraham Demoz is not with us any longer. The late Wolf Leslau (expert of Ethiopic languages) is not with us any longer. Prof. Efrem Yisaq is not active in linguistics any longer. I have not come across any new younger linguistics post -Derg era. I say this because the late prof. Martin Bernal published his Vol.3 in 2006 a book where there is much about Ethiopic languages and Egypt but not a lot of Ethiopians know about this man and his works. I wanted the young generation of scholars to discover this opus.

Happy Gena !! Gena means Lidet !!!

Horus

Re: Black Athena: Required Reading For Any Educated Ethiopian: Much of Ethiopic Is Proto Indo-European !!

Post by Horus » 07 Jan 2019, 03:10

From the Inside Flap

Could Greek philosophy be rooted in Egyptian thought? Is it possible that the Pythagorean theory was conceived on the shores of the Nile and the Euphrates rather than in ancient Greece? Could it be that Western civilization was born on the so-called Dark Continent? For almost two centuries, Western scholars have given little credence to the possibility of such scenarios.

In Black Athena, an audacious three-volume series that strikes at the heart of today's most heated culture wars, Martin Bernal challenges Eurocentric attitudes by calling into question two of the longest-established explanations for the origins of classical civilization. The Aryan Model, which is current today, claims that Greek culture arose as the result of the conquest from the north by Indo-European speakers, or "Aryans," of the native "pre-Hellenes."

The Ancient Model, which was maintained in Classical Greece, held that the native population of Greece had initially been civilized by Egyptian and Phoenician colonists and that additional Near Eastern culture had been introduced to Greece by Greeks studying in Egypt and Southwest Asia. Moving beyond these prevailing models, Bernal proposes a Revised Ancient Model, which suggests that classical civilization in fact had deep roots in Afroasiatic cultures.

This long-awaited third and final volume of the series is concerned with the linguistic evidence that contradicts the Aryan Model of ancient Greece. Bernal shows how nearly 40 percent of the Greek vocabulary has been plausibly derived from two Afroasiatic languages— Ancient Egyptian and West Semitic. He also reveals how these derivations are not limited to matters of trade, but extended to the sophisticated language of politics, religion, and philosophy.

This evidence, according to Bernal, confirms the fact that in Greece an Indo-European people was culturally dominated by speakers of Ancient Egyptian and West Semitic. Provocative, passionate, and colossal in scope, this volume caps a thoughtful rewriting of history that has been stirring academic and political controversy since the publication of the first volume.

Martin Bernal, formerly a fellow of King's College, Cambridge, and professor of government at Cornell University, is now retired.

About the Author

Martin Bernal (1937 - 2013) was Professor of Government and Near Eastern Studies at Cornell University. The first two volumes of Black Athena: The Afroasiatic Roots of Classical Civilization (I: The Fabrication of Ancient Greece, 1785-1985 and II: The Archaeological and Documentary Evidence) have been translated into German, Italian, Spanish, French, Swedish, Greek and Japanese. Black Athena won the American Book Award in 1990 from the Before Columbus Foundation.

Degnet
Senior Member+

Post by Degnet » 07 Jan 2019, 03:12

Horus wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 01:15
I am Horus. If you want to get to the bottom of Ethiopian Egypt ancient connection - Read at least Volume 3. This book must be required for any Ethiopian social, anthropological and linguistics student at any level
…..
See source below

Could Greek philosophy be rooted in Egyptian thought? Is it possible that the Pythagorean theory was conceived on the shores of the Nile and the Euphrates rather than in ancient Greece? Could it be that much of Western civilization was formed on the “Dark Continent”? For almost two centuries, Western scholars have given little credence to the possibility of such scenarios.

In Black Athena, an audacious three-volume series that strikes at the heart of today’s most heated culture wars, Martin Bernal challenges Eurocentric attitudes by calling into question two of the longest-established explanations for the origins of classical civilization. To use his terms, the Aryan Model, which is current today, claims that Greek culture arose as the result of the conquest from the north by Indo-European speakers, or “Aryans,” of the native “pre-Hellenes.”

This long-awaited third and final volume of the series is concerned with the linguistic evidence that contradicts the Aryan Model of ancient Greece. Bernal shows how nearly 40 percent of the Greek vocabulary has been plausibly derived from two Afroasiatic languages—Ancient Egyptian and West Semitic. He also reveals how these derivations are not limited to matters of trade, but extended to the sophisticated language of politics, religion, and philosophy. This evidence, according to Bernal, greatly strengthens the hypothesis that in Greece an Indo-European–speaking population was culturally dominated by Ancient Egyptian and West Semitic speakers

Provocative, passionate, and colossal in scope, this volume caps a thoughtful rewriting of history that has been stirring academic and political controversy since the publication of the first volume.

Shut up you animal,we are Christians

yaballo

Post by yaballo » 07 Jan 2019, 03:21

Horus,

Thanks.

There are some notable foreign & local linguists, etymologists and philologists that have made a mark in studying the languages of Ethiopia but not necessarily the Semitic languages that have been used to define all things 'Ethiopian'.

Also, language research on languages spoken both in Ethiopia's peripheral regions that also have speakers in the neighbouring countries such as Somalia, Kenya & Sudan has shown a stride through the efforts of academic institutions such as the University of Jomo Kenyatta's language department [Nairobi] & the University of Mogadishu [despite all the wars & violence in Somalia].

There are also many notable ferenji linguists & philologists linked to Universities in Kenya, Somalia & Sudan who have made a mark in studying regional languages such as the Somali, Afaan Oromoo [Kenyan variety] & various Sudanese languages that also have speakers on the Ethiopian side of the border.

One of these is a Dutch named 'Prof. Harry Stroomer' & he carried out studies on the linguistic, comparative grammar & vocabulary of various Cushitic & Semitic languages as indicated in his CV shown below. I heard that he speaks a much better Afaan Boorana than your average Borana-Oromo. He is the author of at least 6 grammar & other linguistic books on the three main dialects of the Borana-Oromo in Kenya [Borana proper, Gabra & Orma of the Tana River Valley & Indian Ocean coast near Lamu-Mombassa corridor].

In a sense & more so than Ethiopian universities, East African & foreign [European] universities have managed to study many of the languages spoken in Ethiopian regions bordering on Somalia [Somali dialects], Kenya [Afaan Oromoo] & the Sudan [Annuak, Gumuz, Arabic, etc].

a) On Dr. Harry Stroomer [a brief CV of] ..

Harry Stroomer: Professor emeritus of Afroasiatic Languages. He is a preeminent linguistic on Afaan Oromoo, many Cushitic & Semitic languages of Africa. A profile [CV], Publications, etc; https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/st ... ions#tab-1

A CV

See his publications [books, dictionaries, etc] ...

https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/st ... blications

b) Some of his books ...

1- Stroomer Harry (1995), A Grammar of Boraana Oromo. Köln: Rüdiger-Köppe Verlag.

2 - Stroomer Harry (1987), A comparative study of three southern Oromo dialects in Kenya (PhD thesis). Supervisor(s) and Co-supervisor(s):Kortlandt F.H.H

3) - Stroomer Harry (2001), A Concise Vocabulary of Orma Oroma (Kenya): Orma-English, English-Orma. Koeln: Ruediger Koeppe Verlag.

4 - Stroomer Harry (2001), Islamic Poetry of Oromos in Northern Kenya, Afrikanistische Arbeitspapiere 65: 71-102.

Nagaatti.

Horus

Post by Horus » 07 Jan 2019, 03:43

Yaballo,

Sure. I know very little about the works and contributions of Stroomer. But I expect these languages to have underlying common etymology and evolution. But I will doubt if Stroomer would accept the thesis of Prf. Bernal because Martin Bernal argues 2400 pages of 3 books that Greek copied Egyptian library when Greek colonized Egypt in 300BC and that what has become foundation of the Hellenic Western knowledge.

Now, notice this also. You like to make too much distinction between Semitic, Hamitic, and Kushitic languages. For all I know the proto-Semitic language is Egyptian. How much of East North African languages relate to ancient Egypt is the task of new scholars. For my satisfaction I have confirmed in deep relationship between Egyptian of history and Ethiopian evolution. If I told you what I know you would amazed. But I am moving slow because this is a very toxic time to introduce ideas. This also applies to Oromofa which shares tons of relationships with other Ethiopic languages. Here is the truth - we speak not only Afro-Asiatic language, we speak Afro-Asiatic, Indo-European language...

Happy Gena

Naga Tuma

Post by Naga Tuma » 08 Jan 2019, 15:51

Horus,

If Pharaoh Akhenaten lived before Goddess Athena, and if the first Renaissance hinged on the cultural consciousness at the time of the latter, I would imagine that it only makes sense to hinge the second Renaissance on the cultural consciousness at the time of the former. It might have been a paradox for those who didn't have a solid reference for both times but the current generation has the benefit of learning the consciousnesses during both times. So, I second you call.

By the same token, if Indo-European was a contemporary of the first Renaissance, I think that it only makes sense to bring the term Indo-European up to date with the second Renaissance. Perhaps, the term Proto-Indo-European is meant to give an answer for that. I don't know if there is such a thing as Afro-European yet.

I would also add that people watch the documentary video: "Greece: Secrets of the Past."

Horus

Post by Horus » 08 Jan 2019, 23:07

Naga Tuma,

Yes. I agree. What is interesting is that Martin Bernal in the 3rd volume argues that Ethiopic (Ethio-Semitic) and others being so ancient and formative contain what the truth about more modern languages. It is a fascinating research and conclusion that created massive opposition by Euro-centric Egyptologists. He died before he built a stronger academic and following base.

Thanks for the video.