Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
temari

Unless the government changes its economic policies and shifts its paradigm ASAP, a popular protest may be inevitable

Post by temari » 25 Apr 2022, 10:23

The PM Abiy government has now defeated those who challenged it by military means and has built an army and a security apparatus that can stand any challenge from those who want to come to power by violent means.

It is now time for the government to step up its efforts to tackle the huge economic challenge the country is facing. Until now, the government has tried different actions, some of which have resulted in improved economic sectors like the mining sector and others. The change of the Birr note, the focus on wheat production etc. are also positive contributions.

However, the economic problem of our country is so deep and chronic that it needs a radical rethinking and paradigm shift that can transform the economy. Main key areas in my view are modernizing the agriculture sector and transforming it to mechanized farming so that it can achieve production surplus to tackle the inflation and also to make the agriculture sector a backbone of a flourishing agro industry which in turn can hire huge amount of the unemployed youth.

The second area is tackling the problem of chronic foreign exchange problem. The current policies that are trying to regulate everything are making the problem worse. We need a policy that is tested in other countries and is based on sound economic policies.

The last area is the huge government involvement and unbearable bureaucratic regulations coupled with the tribal corrupt cadres everywhere who are nothing but looter bandits who are milking the economy dry. These are the layers that seat between the top government officials and citizens and are about completely make the government hated just like they did to EPRDF.

Unless urgent measures are taken and radical and swift actions are implemented, a wide popular anger is brewing in an alarming rate. I'm sensing popular dissatisfaction in the area of economy and also people are becoming fed up with tribal corrupt cadres. My fear is that the brewing dissatisfaction may sooner or later explode in form of public protest if things are not addressed ASAP.

I hope I am wrong!

temari

Re: Unless the government changes its economic policies and shifts its paradigm ASAP, a popular protest may be inevitabl

Post by temari » 25 Apr 2022, 10:36

My suggesting is for the government to gather economic experts and have a debate on how to tackle the current crisis. This is much better than the current closed-cooked policies that failed to fix the economy. The government should open its policies for a debate and review by economic professionals and make serious adjustments as fast as possible.

It should also consider making the National Bank fully independent of the government as it is the case in all sound economies. The National Bank should be lead by a pure professional board without any interference from the government. Currently, the National Bank policies are erratic with unnecessary regulations resulting in worsening the foreign currency problem and in business unfriendly environment.

temari

Re: Unless the government changes its economic policies and shifts its paradigm ASAP, a popular protest may be inevitabl

Post by temari » 26 Apr 2022, 14:04

Open up and legalize currency exchange. Let people open foreign currency bank accounts. Encourage and not discourage the flow of foreign currency into the country. Our current regulation is absurd and encourages foreign currency flight out of the country to the extent that now possessing 100 dollars is considered illegal. The stupidity is beyond imagination. Such a dumb regulation!

We should learn something from our neighbors.

Abere

Post by Abere » 26 Apr 2022, 15:37

The very critical reason for the current economic crisis is the TPLF war, not problem related to economic policies. It is a necessity to defeat TPLF and win the war. Making peace and truce with TPLF will not either the solve the problem, since peace/truce leaves with TPLF of huge defense assets on equal par with ENDF and the Ethiopian government. The economy can immediately thrive following the defeat of TPLF. Abiy Ahmed’s failure of winning the war resulted in economic crisis.

TGAA
Member+

Post by TGAA » 26 Apr 2022, 21:12

temari wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 14:04
Open up and legalize currency exchange. Let people open foreign currency bank accounts. Encourage and not discourage the flow of foreign currency into the country. Our current regulation is absurd and encourages foreign currency flight out of the country to the extent that now possessing 100 dollars is considered illegal. The stupidity is beyond imagination. Such a dumb regulation!

I'm not an economist so it is just my opinion. Opening up the currency exchange may be attractive to people who have access to hard currency but to the poor and middle-income Ethiopians, it will be devastating. Every price going to be shooting up and the price of items will be out of the reach of most people. I don't think the solution you are proposing will be a silver bullet to the mess the Ethiopian economy finds itself in. The corruption that is prevalent, the artificial price hike that is manipulated by crooked merchants, and the government's Laissez-faire approach are the culprit that needs to be dealt with first more than a few thousand dollars that are circulating in the black market.

Ethoash
Senior Member+

Post by Ethoash » 28 Apr 2022, 11:09

TGAA wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 21:12

I'm not an economist so it is just my opinion. Opening up the currency exchange may be attractive to people who have access to hard currency but to the poor and middle-income Ethiopians, it will be devastating. Every price going to be shooting up and the price of items will be out of the reach of most people. I don't think the solution you are proposing will be a silver bullet to the mess the Ethiopian economy finds itself in. The corruption that is prevalent, the artificial price hike that is manipulated by crooked merchants, and the government's Laissez-faire approach are the culprit that needs to be dealt with first more than a few thousand dollars that are circulating in the black market.

phd, TGAA,

If u r not an economist then why in hell u comment in thing u have no understanding .. what u wrote is what your father ደርግ ግዜ የነበር የኢኮኖሚ ቀመር ነው። ቡዳነት በአጭሩ....

here is the point

if government Opening up the currency exchange may be attractive to people who have access to hard currency but to the poor and middle-income Ethiopians, it will be devastating. Every price going to be shooting up...

it might be but u need hard currency to import what the poor want. or constriction need a lot of import hence the poor get a job when we have hard currency.

another point is how we handle the hard currency we get. for example if someone from USA send 100 dollar to his mother and his mother spend the money that will be asking for trouble because his mother will never support herself and need always 100dollar and spend it like there is not tomorrow because she did not work hard for the money. what the best thing is her son or daughter invest 1000 dollar at once and make his family support themselves by starting business. here the government can help by building industrial park for small scale business that can be started with in one thousand dollar or five thousand dollar and give intensive like tax holiday etc. second the government also can help people to start share company this way the NY GUY can buy share instead of starting his own business and lose out because untruest worthy family or partners

in Ethiopia when the diaspora built house the local because jealous saying why would they get land but not us. the diaspora bringing dollar unlike u. i am not saying the local should not get land they should if they can have money to build otherwise while u have zero money and if u r jealous what the diaspora get .. make u idiot

Ethoash
Senior Member+

Post by Ethoash » 28 Apr 2022, 11:19

temari wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 14:04

doctor temarit u ask We should learn something from our neighbors.

We can't learn nothing we and the golden Djiboutian are two totally different people... just imagine those women were in Ethiopia and had 60,000 dollar in their bag do u think they would have lasted one day. they might be killed for their money.

second the government or the society doesn't want them to make money they r make to pay one extra dollar or birr to buy dollar so they think they r profiting from መሄጃ አጥተው ብቻ ከነሱ የሚገዙ ይመስላቸዋል። የማያውቁት ነገር እኮ እነሱ ናቸው ገንዘቡን የሚስበስቡት ከቱሪስቶች እና ከመርከበኞች እንዲያ ስብስበው ነው ። የሚፈልግ ስው ሲመጣ የሚሽጡት እንጂ እነሱ በዱብ [እዳ አይደለም ዶላሩን የሚያገኙት ። ይህንን ቅጠል እንደሚስበስቡና ተሽክመው እንደሚሄዱ እናቶቻችን ተመልከትው ። የኢትዬዽያ ሕዝብ አንተ ካልደከምክ ቁጭ ብለህ ገንዘብ እንድታገኝ አይፈልግም ።።።

ለምሳሌ ኪሊዋች በፎርክሊፍት እንዲጠቀሙ አይፈልጉም ምን ስርተው ነው የሚከፈላቸው መኪና ነድተው ብለው ጉልበታቸውን ይጨርሳሉ። የቀን ስራቶኞችም ይህንን ስለሚያውቁ ቴክኖለጂ አይጠቀሙም ። ከመኪና ማወረድ፣ ከወፍጮ ቤት መቶ ኪሎ መሽከ ም እንደስራ ስለሚያዩት በቀላሉ በዶሊ ከገፉት ማንም ገብቶ ሊስራው ነው። ግን መቶ ኪሎወን ከተሽከሙት ማንም ሊገባ አይችልምና የስራ መጠበቅያ ነው።

Abere

Post by Abere » 28 Apr 2022, 11:32

Which one is better to change, the government or the economy? If you give money to a habitual alcoholic, he will never ever get rich. He will spend all of it and eternally remain poor. Similarly, a government that runs on aid money, beggary, corruption and perpetual war , lives in the same vicious circle as an alcoholic man. Ethiopia was run tribal politcs drunkhard in the past by TPLF Meles Zenawi and now, OLF, Abiy Ahmed. How to break the vicious cycle of tribal leaders and their [ deleted ] structure is the passcode toward sustainable wealth and national development, everything else is just a triage to contain the damage caused by tribalist thugs.

Ethoash
Senior Member+

Post by Ethoash » 28 Apr 2022, 11:44

Abere wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 11:32
. Ethiopia was run tribal politcs drunkhard in the past by TPLF Meles Zenawi and now, OLF, Abiy Ahmed. How to break the vicious cycle of tribal leaders and their [ deleted ] structure is the passcode toward sustainable wealth and national development, everything else is just a triage to contain the damage caused by tribalist thugs.
አይን ያወጣ ውሽት ይሉቹሀል ይህ ነው።

under Dr. Abiy time

under Golden we build under Dr.Abiy we destroy look and cry.. but u r an Eritrean u love this story.

TGAA
Member+

Post by TGAA » 28 Apr 2022, 21:57

Ethoash wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 11:09
TGAA wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 21:12

phd, TGAA,

If u r not an economist then why in hell u comment in thing u have no understanding .. what u wrote is what your father ደርግ ግዜ የነበር የኢኮኖሚ ቀመር ነው። ቡዳነት በአጭሩ....

here is the point

if government Opening up the currency exchange may be attractive to people who have access to hard currency but to the poor and middle-income Ethiopians, it will be devastating. Every price going to be shooting up...

it might be but u need hard currency to import what the poor want. or constriction need a lot of import hence the poor get a job when we have hard currency.

another point is how we handle the hard currency we get. for example if someone from USA send 100 dollar to his mother and his mother spend the money that will be asking for trouble because his mother will never support herself and need always 100dollar and spend it like there is not tomorrow because she did not work hard for the money. what the best thing is her son or daughter invest 1000 dollar at once and make his family support themselves by starting business. here the government can help by building industrial park for small scale business that can be started with in one thousand dollar or five thousand dollar and give intensive like tax holiday etc. second the government also can help people to start share company this way the NY GUY can buy share instead of starting his own business and lose out because untruest worthy family or partners

in Ethiopia when the diaspora built house the local because jealous saying why would they get land but not us. the diaspora bringing dollar unlike u. i am not saying the local should not get land they should if they can have money to build otherwise while u have zero money and if u r jealous what the diaspora get .. make u idiot
Thank you for your explanation though what you said can be summarized by this chain's proverb "
Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime" So no need for a Ph.D. requirement to understand this elementary economic principle. What Ethiopia needs is untangling 30-something years of the parasitic ethnic lead economy and either making it a nationalistic oriented state lead economy more in line with china or creating a level field for all to compete and regulate it fairly so that private entrepreneurs can flourish. All short cuts in economics are a bonanza for crooked, but not to lift up the majority of poor Ethiopians from destitution. The trickle-down economics as attractive as it is, where there is a handful of rich individuals worth mentioning there is nothing to trickledown.

Ethoash
Senior Member+

Post by Ethoash » 30 Apr 2022, 10:54

phd TTTA

OKAY again u fail in to Amhara think and u oppose ethnic thinking but u r thinking just like another low leave Amhara u want one economy system for the whole Ethiopia do u know what it mean if we fail all of us fail . putting all your egg in one basket.

u see when u make one economy policy for all Ethiopia the Amhara dolling their noise where should not belong for example they were shouting why the government giving away land to white, India, Arab and china in Gamballa .. someone should tell the Amhara mind your own fking business and develop Amhara region leave the rest along thanks for the Amhara the India left but i dont see any replacement of Ethiopia taking over the farming

so what is the best hing let everyone think and do their own think..and see which one is the best system if Amhara think open system and inviting everyone to come and to invest in their region why not do it by all means but dont tell oromo to follow u.. u just your own thing...

i will give one very good example where two university given one billion birr each for both university and see how both university handle the money...

This is an Amhara university after they eat one billion birr

now see what Wolkite University five star kitchen and also u can see how they enter the lunch room using computerized system just back up littel and u will see

now tell me why Amhara can tell Wolkite how to run their economy when they couldn't handle their own.. hence i want everyone to do what they want and if they fail they only themselves to blame

have a nice day my Eritrean TTDF

TGAA
Member+

Post by TGAA » 30 Apr 2022, 12:52

No matter how much you try to be high-minded, you can't step out of your weyane cacoon.

Ethoash
Senior Member+

Post by Ethoash » 30 Apr 2022, 15:02

TGAA wrote:
30 Apr 2022, 12:52
No matter how much you try to be high-minded, you can't step out of your weyane cacoon.
this is what i am saying u and me have two out look.. so u go with your thinking and develop ur Amhara i will develop my own region it is very simple ... instead of u imposed your thinking on me let me choice what i like , i might choice your thinking if u give me a time to choice ... that all i can say...

temari

Post by temari » 02 May 2022, 09:22

The Ethiopian Economic Association (EEA) names land and land utilization rights as a major source of the current economic crisis and inflation.
"የጎሳ ከበርቴዎች" (credit to Horus) የስስት ኢኮኖሚ ሃገሪቷን ለከፍተኛ የኢኮኖሚ ቀውስ እየዳረጋት ነው። ወይ አይሰሩበት ወይ ሰው አያሰሩ!

Read the full article here :arrow: https://www.ethiopianreporter.com/article/25365
See also: https://www.ethiopianreporter.com/article/25378

temari

Post by temari » 13 May 2022, 15:53

Ethiopian Economic Association (EEA) study on inflation, tax, interest rates and most of all the deteriorating land utilization which is hurting the economy badly. Land utilization has dropped to 21% from 96% 5 years ago. The current government is performing badly when it comes to land utilization much worst than even TPLF. No one comes near to the current government when it comes to የመሬት ስስት. The government must make serious policy adjustments before things get out of hand.

Last edited by temari on 13 May 2022, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

Ethoash
Senior Member+

Post by Ethoash » 14 May 2022, 10:15

temari wrote:
13 May 2022, 16:16
ይህ የኢኮኖሚ አማካሪ ኑሮ ተወደደ እያለ ቦርጩ የዘጠኝ ወር እርጉዝ መስሎ ምኑን ነው የሚያማክረው እኔ ምንም ምክር አልስማሁም ብቻ የቃላት ድርድራ ነው ያረገው ። በቀላሉ መንገድ ማስረዳት እየተቻለ ልክ እንደአብዬተኛ ያ ሲሆን ይህ ይሆናል ። ይህ ደግሞ ሲሆን ያ ላይሆን ይችላል። ምንድነው ነገሩ አንድ ተጨባጭ ነጘር በቀላሉ ምሳሌ ስጥቶ ማስረዳት እያለ ። ዶክተር ዝናቡ ይምጣብኝ ለማወራት እኔ እሱ ሲያወራ በደንብ ተንትኖ በምሳሌ ያስረዳናል ። ሙዝ በዳቦ። ጎበን በጨው ፣ አቮካዶ በዳቦ ነው ያለው በጣም ጥሩ እና ግዚያዊ ምሳሌዎች ናቸው በደንብ ሕዝቡ ውስጥ ፀርሶ የሚገባ። የፈሳም ሁላ ዘይት ዘይት ፣ ሱካር ሱካር ይላሉ የሱካር በሽታ ሊያመጡብን። ዘይት ራሱ ካንሰር ነው ከወጭ የሚመጣው ። ኬሚካል ብቻ ነው የተደባለቀበት ንፁ ዘይት አገራችን መስራት እየተቻለ ። የዳቦና የሚዝ ነገር ቀልዴ ነው ግን ምን ያህል ሕዝቡ የሚለው እንደገባው ነው ለማስረዳት ነው ምሳሌውን የተጠቀምኩበት።

Abere

Post by Abere » 14 May 2022, 11:09

ኢኮኖሚ በሌለበት አገር የተምኔት ኢኮኖሚ የሚደሰኩሩ መሪዎች እና ምናባዊ የኢኮኖሚ ካድሬዎች ያስቁኛል። ቀደም ብሎ ወያኔው መለስ ዜናዊ በቀን ሦስት ጊዜ እመግባችሁ አለሁ ብሎ ብዙ ዜጋ ከቆሻሻ ገንዳ ከውሻ ጋር ተሻምቶ እንድ ብላ ወይም ጉርሻ በ 1ብር ከሽልንግ እንድ ገዛ አስቻለው። አሁን ደግሞ የኦሮሙማው የወሬ ፈላስመን ሙዝ በዳቦ አገምጣችሁ አለሁ አለ። ጽድቁ ቀርቶብኝ በቅጡ በኮነነኝ ይሉ ዘንድ የጎሳ ትርኪምርኪ ግሳንግስ ክልል ቢያጠፉልን እና በየ አመቱ በሚሊዮን በጦርነት የሚያልቀውን ድሃ ቢያስቆሙልት ኑሮ ርሃብ ይጠፋ ነበር። ባለፈው ክረትም ሊጥ ሲደፋ የከረመው ትግሬ ሰላም ቢያገኝ ሰርቶ ወይም በአገሪቱ ተዘዋውሩ ሸቅሎ የአመት ጉርሱን ይይዝ ነበር። አሁን ትግራይ ወያኔዎች ለምሳሌ ህዝቡን የእርሃብ ፋብሪካ እና የእርዳታን የገቢ ንግድ ስራ አድርገውታል። ኦሮሙማ ዐብይ አህመድ መንግስትም ቢሆን ሁሉን ኬኛ ብሎ በስንፍና ያለችውን ጥሪት ቁጭ አድርጎ ኦነግ ይቀልባል። ሰርቶ አድር የሆነው ህዝብ አምርቶ ገበያ እንዳያጠግብ ኦነግ እያስታጠቀ ይበልጥ ከምጣዱ ወደ ሰፌዱ የሆነችውን ምስኪን ምጣኔ ሃብት ሽንት ቤት ቁልቁል ሸኛት። የኦነግ ነገር ሲሰሩ እና ሲመሩ ታይቶ ቁጭ ብሎ መብላት እና ሁከት መስሎታል። ማዕበል ሲመጣ ምን እንደሚውጠው ብቻ እግዜር ይወቅ። አዲስ አበባ መቸም ደደቢት በርሃ ሊሆን አይችልም።

Ethoash
Senior Member+

Post by Ethoash » 14 May 2022, 12:16

በጣም ለምወድህና ለማከብርህ ኤርትራዊ ዘመዴ አቶ አዋሯ

አሁንሳ የምትለው በሙሉ ጋዝ ጋዝ ይለኝ ጀመር።