Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Abaymado

Bantu Somalis vs other Somali Ethnics? Who is indigenous?

Post by Abaymado » 24 Jan 2022, 15:37

Let me put it this way:

I don' t know whether the you tuber on this video is alright but I have no clue about the name Bantu. What is Bantu? Does it represent specific people or is it derogatory name?
Do Somalis think they are better than this the so called Bantu people? I don't think so. All I can see majority of Somalis are black and having flat face. There is nothing to brag about them.

The matter of the fact if they say they are different because their ancestors were interbred with Arabs as they are close to the sea. And we can see that the so called Bantu people look for me indigenous.

In the same manner if we come to Ethiopia, Southern people nationalities more or less have facial complexion analogous to other African countries like Kenya, Uganda... but here they haven't got any derogatory name like the name bantu, why?

By the way I have curly hair but I am jealous of kinky hair like other African people because their hair is very thick and look more reliable.

Abaymado

Re: Bantu Somalis vs other Somali Ethnics? Who is indigenous?

Post by Abaymado » 24 Jan 2022, 15:54

This is the best explanation I got from the comment, worth reading:

Aragtida Fog ee Isbedelka Koonfur Galbeed (SV4C)
2 months ago (edited)
The information transmitted in this video is not correct. First and foremost, Bantu is not a word/name for an ethnic group but a group of languages spoken in Southern, Eastern and Central Africa by different African tribes. Secondly, these people in Somalia are identified as 'Jareer' based on their hair texture and physical features, and may constitute a significant percentage of the Somali population - about 40% of the Somali population - if a true census is conducted. Some of these communities stand out as separate clans concentrated in a region while others are mixed with other Somali 'non-Jareer' clans who are taken together as a collective tribe composed of Jareer and Jileec (their Somali counterpart). For example, the Rahaweyn or Digil & Mirifle tribe in Somalia are composed of mixed jareer and Jileec communities (with the Jareer in significant numbers yet not challenged. Literally, Jareer or Jileec is based on, not skin colour, but a classification of hair texture and physical appearance). As opposed to your details, they are not in the thousands but in the millions. They inhibit in the most productive and fertile agricultural lands of Somalia - in between the two rivers of Shabelle and Jubba. They have lived in Somalia particularly in the South for centuries and are historically known/believed to be the original settlers of Somalia because first settlers always populate where there is water and fodder (life) i.e. the riverine agricultural/coastal areas. The notion that the Jareer communities, or let me follow your suit, the Bantus, were traded as slaves to Somalia by Arabs and so on does not exist and is a cliché probably propagated by their counterparts in Somalia. Unfortunately, these communities have been disadvantaged/marginalized in Somalia unlike other pastoral Somali communities who are violent and predatory because the Jareer communities are agrarian and peaceful communities. At some point in the past, 800 to 1000 years ago, these communities had famous kingdoms and ruled parts of Somalia such as the Kingdom of Gedi Ababow, Dubka Balow and Fayle Arow in Bur Hakaba, Bay region in the Southwest of Somalia. Therefore, before one can produce such a video, one should collect as much credible and reliable information as one can to transmit facts rather than opinions.

Abere

Post by Abere » 24 Jan 2022, 16:04

Abaymado,

Actually the history is true. The Somali were enslaving and selling off Bantu people this group includes the Galla (today known as Oromo). In today's Somalia it is hard to make distinction among Somalis because of years of interbreeding. As a result, the distinct group of Bantu such Oromos are claiming inaccurately they belong to Cushitic family, while they originally are the Bantu group.

Abe Abraham

Post by Abe Abraham » 24 Jan 2022, 16:09

Abaymado wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 15:37

Let me put it this way:

I don' t know whether the you tuber on this video is alright but I have no clue about the name Bantu. What is Bantu? Does it represent specific people or is it derogatory name?
Do Somalis think they are better than this the so called Bantu people? I don't think so. All I can see majority of Somalis are black and having flat face. There is nothing to brag about them.

The matter of the fact if they say they are different because their ancestors were interbred with Arabs as they are close to the sea. And we can see that the so called Bantu people look for me indigenous.

In the same manner if we come to Ethiopia, Southern people nationalities more or less have facial complexion analogous to other African countries like Kenya, Uganda... but here they haven't got any derogatory name like the name bantu, why?

By the way I have curly hair but I am jealous of kinky hair like other African people because their hair is very thick and look more reliable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Somalia

Bantu is a name of a great African people. It is not a derogatory term but any name can be used in a derogatory way if it is associated with low social status. On the other hand bad could mean good ( Michael Jackson : you know I am bad! ) or a black person driving a BMW ( Bad Mean Wicked ) in London could feel good with his BMW status.

AbyssiniaLady
Member+

Post by AbyssiniaLady » 24 Jan 2022, 16:10

Most Somali Bantu are descendants of Kenyans, Tanzanians, Malawi and Mozambicans.

Abaymado

Post by Abaymado » 24 Jan 2022, 16:14

Abere wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 16:04
Abaymado,

Actually the history is true. The Somali were enslaving and selling off Bantu people this group includes the Galla (today known as Oromo). In today's Somalia it is hard to make distinction among Somalis because of years of interbreeding. As a result, the distinct group of Bantu such Oromos are claiming inaccurately they belong to Cushitic family, while they originally are the Bantu group.
I don't understand, what is bantu referring to? Even so gallas were called Bantu in Somalia they were not given this name in Ethiopia, why?
From the above comment i posted it said that around 40% of Somali people constitute of this Bantu people. Besides he informed us the differences were not based on color rather in hair type and physical appearances.
This means that black Somalis can denigrate the so called Bantu people, I can't swallow this.

Regarding gallas, gallas had no permanent place as they were moving from place to place with their cattle, and it is difficult exactly to locate their real home land.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 24 Jan 2022, 16:37

Abere wrote:
Abaymado,

In today's Somalia it is hard to make distinction among Somalis because of years of interbreeding.
What a bullshit!

How can one make distinction between Somalis, since they're all of one ethnic. You must have dug up such "interbreeding" crap out of your arse.

In the video, the guy said,
Somali Bantu don't have true representation in the politics and have no access to government services
This is another crap. Somalia Bantu have equal representation in the parliament and have also equal access to government services, like any Somali.

We don't call them Somali Bantu in Somalia, as they're Somali like any other Somali. Are they discriminated among Somalis? I wonder who's not discriminated among Somalis!

Who is indigenous?
Why should you add such nonsense that wasn't said in the video, you little donkey!

Of course, they're not indigenous of Somalia.

Abaymado

Post by Abaymado » 24 Jan 2022, 16:55

Who is indigenous?
Why should you add such nonsense that wasn't said in the video, you little donkey!

[/quote]

Why not? Who is indigenous? You know any people with African type hair and appearances are indigenous for me.

By the way I don't like to categorize people and make distinction according to their identity . I want them to live peacefully. It is not my intention to divide people but as far as some people selectively attacking certain group, I will not have rest and I will to try to dig the truth. I read one Somali lady saying Bantu are different from us.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 24 Jan 2022, 17:07

Abe Abraham wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 16:09
Abaymado wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 15:37

Let me put it this way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Somalia

Bantu is a name of a great African people. It is not a derogatory term but any name can be used in a derogatory way if it is associated with low social status. On the other hand bad could mean good ( Michael Jackson : you know I am bad! ) or a black person driving a BMW ( Bad Mean Wicked ) in London could feel good with his BMW status.

( Bad Mean Wicked )
But wicked doesn't always mean bad or evil in British English. It also means great, cool, etc. In the UK, wicked is most often used by the youth to describe something wonderful, such as a movie.

Abe Abraham

Post by Abe Abraham » 24 Jan 2022, 17:10

Somaliman wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 16:37
Abere wrote:
Abaymado,

In today's Somalia it is hard to make distinction among Somalis because of years of interbreeding.
What a bullshit!

How can one make distinction between Somalis, since they're all of one ethnic. You must have dug up such "interbreeding" crap out of your arse.

Somali Bantu don't have true representation in the politics and have no access to government services
This is another crap. Somalia Bantu have equal representation in the parliament and have also equal access to government services, like any Somali.

We don't call them Somali Bantu in Somalia, as they're Somali like any other Somali. Are they discriminated among Somalis? I wonder who's not discriminated among Somalis!

Who is indigenous?

They are transplanted into the Somali soil hence they are not indigenous as a community of mixed Bantu groups(of more than one Bantu origin) living in Somalia. In terms of community even Africans living in the United States are distinct from African-Americans let alone ethnic Somalis and the transplanted Bantus from other parts of the African coast below Somalia.

Abere

Post by Abere » 24 Jan 2022, 17:54

Abe Abraham,

Thanks for helping this "Somaliman" to learn that there is Nothing called [deleted] Somali. Somali is as such a diverse country with diverse historical origin. The fact that most speaks "Somaligna" does not mean they once all were Somali. This kind of oversimplified generalization is an excuse to continue oppressing a historically disadvantage group as if they truly belong to the country and are empowered as the rest of the majority group. For instance, everyone speaking English in the West does not mean they are all White: like what you mentioned Africans due to the historical unfortunate of slavery transported into North America now are speaking English for they were forced to abandon their ancestral Afrikaan language. The same had happened in today's Somali. The Somali because of their contact with Arab slave merchants the used to capture Bantu people including Galla (Oromo) and sold them off as slaves; some were used for agricultural labor and the captors also sexually exploited these slaves. This is well researched and documented history by renowned scholars. This "Somaliman" should make a little effort to find and read academic journals about Somali slave trade on Bantu(Galla) people.

As afar as my position is concerned. Humanity is one and there should not be discrimination at all. Everyone is has natural right to fully use his or her God given potential. Having said there are also cultural, institutional and physical differences in spite of the similarities among humanity. Cultural regional similarities and differences stem from cultural traits as well physical appearance due to intermarriages. Although Africa is a home of the Black race, there are population segments with more alike each other physically as well as culturally -Travelling from the West to East, as well as North to South reveals this. This pattern is the same in Europe too. Thus, Bantu is one broader population sub-group of Africa with diverse linguistics and yet a more similar population gene pool and cultural traits. It is unfortunate why some use this in a deregulatory way and also try to avoid their own true origin ( Such as Oromo) and dismiss the reality. Every culture and every human being has to have equal respect in the eyes of all humanity. To see individuals shying away from their true origin still tells how much far society is from true equality.

Abe Abraham wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 17:10
Somaliman wrote:
Abere wrote:
Abaymado,

What a bullshit!

Who is indigenous?

They are transplanted into the Somali soil hence they are not indigenous as a community of mixed Bantu groups(of more than one Bantu origin) living in Somalia. In terms of community even Africans living in the United States are distinct from African-Americans let alone ethnic Somalis and the transplanted Bantus from other parts of the African coast below Somalia.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 24 Jan 2022, 18:20

Abere wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 17:54
Abe Abraham,

Thanks for helping this "Somaliman" to learn that there is Nothing called [deleted] Somali. Somali is as such a diverse country with diverse historical origin. The fact that most speaks "Somaligna" does not mean they once all were Somali. This kind of oversimplified generalization is an excuse to continue oppressing a historically disadvantage group as if they truly belong to the country and are empowered as the rest of the majority group. For instance, everyone speaking English in the West does not mean they are all White: like what you mentioned Africans due to the historical unfortunate of slavery transported into North America now are speaking English for they were forced to abandon their ancestral Afrikaan language. The same had happened in today's Somali. The Somali because of their contact with Arab slave merchants the used to capture Bantu people including Galla (Oromo) and sold them off as slaves; some were used for agricultural labor and the captors also sexually exploited these slaves. This is well researched and documented history by renowned scholars. This "Somaliman" should make a little effort to find and read academic journals about Somali slave trade on Bantu(Galla) people.

As afar as my position is concerned. Humanity is one and there should not be discrimination at all. Everyone is has natural right to fully use his or her God given potential. Having said there are also cultural, institutional and physical differences in spite of the similarities among humanity. Cultural regional similarities and differences stem from cultural traits as well physical appearance due to intermarriages. Although Africa is a home of the Black race, there are population segments with more alike each other physically as well as culturally -Travelling from the West to East, as well as North to South reveals this. This pattern is the same in Europe too. Thus, Bantu is one broader population sub-group of Africa with diverse linguistics and yet a more similar population gene pool and cultural traits. It is unfortunate why some use this in a deregulatory way and also try to avoid their own true origin ( Such as Oromo) and dismiss the reality. Every culture and every human being has to have equal respect in the eyes of all humanity. To see individuals shying away from their true origin still tells how much far society is from true equality.

Abe Abraham wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 17:10
Somaliman wrote:
Abere wrote:
Abaymado,

What a bullshit!

Who is indigenous?

Cut the crap, Abe Abraham and I are on the same page and are saying the same thing, it's rather you who is talking utter nonsense, and I'm sure you're a Bantu looking moron infested by a complex of inferiority.