Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Somaliman

What a Memorable Coincidence!

Post by Somaliman » 12 Oct 2021, 13:56

Today, 12th October, our victory in the bitter seven year long maritime dispute against Kenya has coincided with our national flag day, as our national flag was adopted on October 12, 1954.

Today, the UN's top court has ruled overwhelmingly in Somalia's favour in its judgement read by the presiding judge at ICJ, Joan E. Donoghue, as a fifteen-judge panel of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) rejected Kenya's claim that there had been an agreed maritime boundary with Somalia and ruled that the maritime border should run on equidistant or on a median line as suggested by Somalia.

Never dare to play about with Somalia, even when it's experiencing a protracted chaos.

Sholla Addis

Re: What a Memorable Coincidence!

Post by Sholla Addis » 12 Oct 2021, 16:38

When the republic of Somalia is strong, the Somali region is strong.

Congratulations to Somalia on the birth of our flag and the beauty of our ocean.

No matter where Somalis were born, we are unique in that we always claim our motherland and work,study without being asked for documents

Blueshift

Post by Blueshift » 12 Oct 2021, 21:11

Guys,

I read somewhere that, Kenya was planning to reject the ruling ahead of time. Is that true ?

Sholla Addis

Post by Sholla Addis » 12 Oct 2021, 21:51

Uhuru Kenyatta issued a statement in which he stated his discontent with the court's decision.

My opinion. ..Uhuru's rejection carries no diplomatic or military weight and serves only to appease enraged Kenyans.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 13 Oct 2021, 06:54

Blueshift wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 21:11
Guys,

I read somewhere that, Kenya was planning to reject the ruling ahead of time. Is that true ?

Who cares what Uhuru Kenyatta (the Commander-In-Thief of all thieves in Kenya) and co. were planning or will be planning!

Last Friday, Kenya said that it had rejected the jurisdiction of the UN's International Court of Justice (ICJ) and that it was withdrawing its participation from the case ahead of the ruling, simply because it was crystal clear to everybody, including Kenyans themselves, that Kenya was going to lose, as its fabricated plights were not holding water.

Kenya could reject the ruling and withdraw its membership from the UN's International Court of Justice (ICJ), but this won't have any effect on the court's ruling, which is binding and cannot be appealed against. For instance, Omar Al-Bashir withdrew Sudan from the ICC, but this couldn't prevent the court from indicting him.

If they were really questioning the legitimacy of the court, why have they participated in the hearing of the case and bothered to travel all the way to the Hague! It's too childish to say, 'I recognise the court only when it favours me'!

Uhuru Kenyatta's bravado is nothing more than a way to sell himself to Kenyans as the protector of their country and its boundaries just to keep staying in power to milk the country and amass offshore wealth.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 13 Oct 2021, 07:31

Uhuru Kenyatta - the Commander-In-Thief of all thieves in Kenya - is just distracting Kenyans from the Pandora Papers' leak that exposed that Uhuru Kenyatta and his family had secretly owned a network of 13 offshore companies for decades.

Uhuru Kenyatta should better respond to enquiries about why his family wealth was not declared to relevant authorities in Kenya.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 13 Oct 2021, 09:18

yaballo wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 07:48
Somaliman:

Como te vas, hermano?

"Uhuru Kenyatta - the Commander-In-Thief of all thieves in Kenya!" :arrow: .. That is a very true statement &, unfortunately, poor old Africa is full of thieves like him.

Esa [The Hague] es una gran noticia para Somalia. Espero que la misma conduzca a mass buenas noticias para Somalia. Aquí esta algo positivo sobre Somalia que yo habido encontrado en el Youtube. Que todo vaya bien para ti y tu familia. Cuidate hermano.

Saludos/Nagaatti/Nabad.

VIDEO: Why I raise the Somali flag every year?

VIDEO: Aar Maanta - Maanta

VIDEO: QARAAMI SAWDKII XAAFUUN

Yaballo,

Estoy bien, y espero que todo te vaya bien, hermano.

Tienes toda la razón, la pobre África está llena de ladrones sin escrúpulos cómo Uhuru Kenyatta. Para mí, el hecho de que tenemos más ladrones, cómo Uhuru Kenyatta, en África se reduce a nuestra cultura, en el sentido de que no cuestionamos mucho cómo uno ha logrado hacerse rico, y que todavía respetamos a esos ladrones a pesar de saber que son ladrones.

El hombre blanco que iza la bandera de Somalia es asombroso, y creo que si solo una cuarta parte de la población mundial hubiera pensado como él, este planeta sería un paraíso.

Gracias por las canciones.

Todo lo mejor, hermano.

Abe Abraham

Post by Abe Abraham » 13 Oct 2021, 16:08

Somaliman,

Since I discerned from one of your discussion that you are some kind of a maritime expert I would like to know what your thoughts are about the ruling in this shape: ( I know Somalia has accepted it. )

AbyssiniaLady
Member+

Post by AbyssiniaLady » 13 Oct 2021, 16:51

That BBC map is wrong, Kenya got only a small slice of the disputed sea area, Somalia claims a maritime boundary that runs equidistant or on a median line from the corresponding land border, while Kenya asserts a parallel line of latitude extending out from the land border.

This is correct ICJ maps. (median line)

This is what Kenya wanted. (a parallel line of latitude)

But this is what they have got.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 13 Oct 2021, 18:10

Abe Abraham wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 16:08
Somaliman,

Since I discerned from one of your discussion that you are some kind of a maritime expert I would like to know what your thoughts are about the ruling in this shape: ( I know Somalia has accepted it. )

As AbyssiniaLady has pointed out, the map of the BBC is misleading, as it does not reflect the ruling of the ICJ.

As the Somali judge serving on the International Court of Justice (Abdulqawi Ahmed YUSUF), who disputed the construction of the median line and dissented the judgement issued on Tuesday, said, "the court has this time departed from its settled jurisprudence and opted for a judicial refashioning of geography", and I strongly believe this was intended to accommodate both parties to finally bring an end to the seven year bitter dispute between the two countries.

Abe Abraham

Post by Abe Abraham » 14 Oct 2021, 12:45

Somaliman wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 18:10
Abe Abraham wrote:
Somaliman,

As AbyssiniaLady has pointed out, the map of the BBC is misleading, as it does not reflect the ruling of the ICJ.

As the Somali judge serving on the International Court of Justice (Abdulqawi Ahmed YUSUF), who disputed the construction of the median line and dissented the judgement issued on Tuesday, said, "the court has this time departed from its settled jurisprudence and opted for a judicial refashioning of geography", and I strongly believe this was intended to accommodate both parties to finally bring an end to the seven year bitter dispute between the two countries.
Is there oil in the Kenyan side of the sea now that the dispute has been settled by the ICJ verdict ?

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 14 Oct 2021, 15:56

Abe Abraham wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 12:45
Somaliman wrote:
13 Oct 2021, 18:10
Abe Abraham wrote:
Somaliman,

Is there oil in the Kenyan side of the sea now that the dispute has been settled by the ICJ verdict ?

This is a good question.

Today, on VOA Somali, a similar question was asked to one of the lead lawyers who represented Somalia at The Hague - Paul Reichler: an international lawyer based in Washington, D.C., from Harvard Law School.

Somalia has carried out a few onshore and offshore seismic surveys both in Somalia and the area in question, and these have produced encouraging results. By the same token, Kenya also has undertaken similar surveys and explorations in what was until last Tuesday a disputed area.

However, drilling is still the only sure way to find out whether there’s oil or gas down in an area to date. And since, according to the aforementioned lawyer, only one oil well has been drilled in this area to date, and this one was drilled in the segment that's now allocated to Kenya and nothing was found, no one can claim with certainty that a commercially viable oil/gas is identified in this area, whether it's Kenya's area or Somalia's one - and in Somalia in general.

Oil reserves exist almost everywhere across the world, but when we're talking about oil reserves, we're often talking about commercially viable oil reserves, and these happen to be quite scarce; thus, no wonder oil companies and prospectors have drilled more than two million wells around the world during the last 150 years in hopes of striking oil.

https://www.voasomali.com/a/6270471.html

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 14 Oct 2021, 18:04

In clear explanation:

The disputed area consisted of the three following areas:

The Territorial Sea, which, as defined by the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, is a belt of coastal waters extending at most 12 nautical miles (22 km; 14 mi) from the baseline (usually the mean low-water mark) of a coastal state. Somalia was granted 100% of this area.

The Continental Shelf of a coastal nation, which extends out to the outer edge of the continental margin but at least 200 nautical miles (370 km; 230 mi) from the baselines of the territorial sea. Somalia was granted 75% of this area, which is also called the EEZ (The exclusive economic zone).

The Outer Continental Shelf, which covers up to 350 nautical miles beyond the continental shelf. Somalia got 2/3 of this area.

Hope this helps!