Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Abere

Horus, I heard Egyptians has the same New Years Day as Ethiopians. Is it due to Orthodox, or cultural affinity or....

Post by Abere » 12 Sep 2021, 16:29

Horus, I heard Egyptians has the same New Years Day as Ethiopians. Is it due to Orthodox Christian, or close cultural Affinity/trait, or coincidence, if true? Which means Egyptians had celebrated their new year yesterday like we did. I am hoping you may have some wealth of information to share with us about this.

Horus
Senior Member+

Re: Horus, I heard Egyptians has the same New Years Day as Ethiopians. Is it due to Orthodox, or cultural affinity or..

Post by Horus » 12 Sep 2021, 17:03

አበረ፣
የቀድሞ ፕሮፌሰር ጌታቸው ሃይሌ የጻፉት የኢትዮጵያ ዘመን አቆጣጠር በሚለው ድጓቸው ስለጥያቄህ ምን እንዳሉ አላውቅም፣ ያሳዝናል መጽሃፉ የለኝም። ግን ልብ በል እስከ 1950ቹ ድረሳ የግብጽ ኦርቶዶክስ እና የኢትዮጵያ ኦርቶክስ ክርስትና በዶግማም ሆነ ቀኖና አንድ ስለነበሩ ነው ጳጳሳችን ከግብጽ የመጡ የነበረው ። ዘመን አቆጣጠራችን አንድ መሆን አለበት ።

እኔ የቻልኩትን ያህል በገኘሁት የኢትዮጵያ ወራት ስሞች (መስከረም፣ ጥቅምት፣ ህዳር ... ወዘተ) የቀምጥ (ጥንታዊ ግብጽ) ቃላት ናቸው ። ጥር በግብጽ ክርስቲያኖችም ጥር ሲሆን እሱም የመከር ወራቸው ነው ። ስለዚህ የዘመን ቆጠራችን አንድ መሆን አለበት ። ራሱ የጁሊያን ዘመን አቆጣጠር ግን በሮማው ጁሊየስ ቄሳር የተመሰረተ ነው ። ድሮ ኢምፓየሮች ሲለዋወጡ የራሳቸው ዘመን አቆጣጠር ያውጁ ነበር ። ስለሆነም የሮማዊያን ጁሊያን ካላንደር ማርች (March) አንደኛ ወር ነበር ። ለዚህ ነው ለምሳሌ ሴፕቴምበር (7ኛ ወር) ዛሬ በጎሪጎሪያ 9ኝ ወር የሆነው ። በሁለት ወር ይለያያሉ። ኢትዮጵያ ደሞ በራሳችን የበልግ፣ ክረምት፣ ጸደይ፣ በጋ ሳይክል መሰረት መስከረም 1ኛ ወር ያደረግነው ።

የወራቶቻችን ስሞች ትርጉም ዲኮድ አድርጌ አልጨረስኳችውም ። በኔ ግምት የቤተ ክህንነት ሊቆች የሚያቁት ይሆናል ። ግሩም ጥያቄ ነው ያነሳሃው! መስከረም ምን ማለት ነው? ጥቅምት? ወዘተ። በእኔ ግምት በጥንታዊ አማልክቶች ስም የተሰየሙ ይመስለኛ ። ቃላቶቹ ግን የቀምጥ ወይም ጥንታዊ ግዕዝ ናቸው ። ከተሳሳትኩ አርማለሁ ።

mitmitaye

Re: Horus, I heard Egyptians has the same New Years Day as Ethiopians. Is it due to Orthodox, or cultural affinity or..

Post by mitmitaye » 12 Sep 2021, 17:51

Abere, egyptian calendar 12 months of 30 days & leap year.. and their names are very close or similar to Ethiopians before Christianity as well.it’s to do with the Nile & agriculture. It dates back christianity. In Ethiopia it’s divided in two. Amete Fida- before Christ & Amete Mihrete- after Christ.. for Egypt, the original calendar system stays with orthodox Christians- the original Egyptians.. after Muslim invasion and adaptation of Islam.. hence the similarities with the orthodox Christians of Egyptians..

Horus, I think Ethiopians didn’t name their month's, or associate their months with some gods like Europeans.. it’s related with agriculture.. for example, weriha Megabit & yekatit is obvious in the name..

Horus
Senior Member+

Post by Horus » 12 Sep 2021, 18:27

ሚጥሚጣ
እኔ የኢትዮጵያ ወሮች በአውሮፓ አማልክት ስም ተሰየሙ አላኩምም። በጥንታዊ ግብጽ አማልክት ነው ያልኩት ። ለምሳሌ ጥር በግብጽ የፍለድ ወቅት ሆኖ የቀምጥ ትግሩሙ growth እኛ ክረምት የምንለው ነው ። ለምሳሌ በእኔ ግምት ጥቅምት በቀምጥ የተሰየመ ነው ግሪኮች አይጂፕት ያሉት ግን እኛ በትክክል ግብጽ፣ ግብጥ፣ ኽብጥ፣ ቅብጥ ያለው ራሳቸው የጥንት ግብጾች ክምጥ ይሉት ነው ።

Selam/

Post by Selam/ » 12 Sep 2021, 20:53

Not only Egypt, the Hebrew new year is also in September. To my knowledge, the new year in Egypt coincides with the highest flood level of the Nile river. Whereas Meskerem in Ethiopian calendar is associated with the end of the Genesis flood.

Horus
Senior Member+

Post by Horus » 12 Sep 2021, 23:11

Selam/ wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 20:53
Not only Egypt, the Hebrew new year is also in September. To my knowledge, the new year in Egypt coincides with the highest flood level of the Nile river. Whereas Meskerem in Ethiopian calendar is associated with the end of the Genesis flood.
Selam/
Yes, you right, Jewish New Year Rosh Hashanah is September 6-8 & I think it is called Festival of Lights. So literally it exactly on our new year.

Roha

Post by Roha » 12 Sep 2021, 23:26

As the Hebrew calendar that is Rosh Hashanah or the Festival of Lights, we also have in Meskerem the new year Hoya Hoye and later in Meskel the Damera bon fire to receive the new year and the new harvest season.
Horus wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 23:11
Selam/ wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 20:53
Selam/
Yes, you right, Jewish New Year Rosh Hashanah is September 6-8 & I think it is called Festival of Lights. So literally it exactly on our new year.

Abere

Post by Abere » 13 Sep 2021, 14:34

Horus,

Thank you for providing an insightful explanations, especially the resemblances of naming of months in the calendar year. I wish valuable books such as like Prof. Getachew Haile be available digitally so there would not be a missing link in our history. It is very amazing how when one looked at the literary work or Book of Astrology ( ዐውደ ነግሥት) of King Zera Yacob, I am not sure if it had Egyptian foot print. As the Bible mentioned a dozen times about Ethiopia, there certainly was significant influence of Ethiopia in Egypt itself, pre-Christian era.

Mitmitaye,

Thank you also for the additional information and showing the influence of Ethiopia on Egypt as well and vice versa. I think it could be an eclectic of both religion and contacts of civilizations through cultural diffusion. I think if I am correct there are evidence Ethiopic alphabets in Egypt suggesting early presence and influence of Ethiopia - more study is important

Horus wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 17:03
አበረ፣
የቀድሞ ፕሮፌሰር ጌታቸው ሃይሌ የጻፉት የኢትዮጵያ ዘመን አቆጣጠር በሚለው ድጓቸው ስለጥያቄህ ምን እንዳሉ አላውቅም፣ ያሳዝናል መጽሃፉ የለኝም። ግን ልብ በል እስከ 1950ቹ ድረሳ የግብጽ ኦርቶዶክስ እና የኢትዮጵያ ኦርቶክስ ክርስትና በዶግማም ሆነ ቀኖና አንድ ስለነበሩ ነው ጳጳሳችን ከግብጽ የመጡ የነበረው ። ዘመን አቆጣጠራችን አንድ መሆን አለበት ።

እኔ የቻልኩትን ያህል በገኘሁት የኢትዮጵያ ወራት ስሞች (መስከረም፣ ጥቅምት፣ ህዳር ... ወዘተ) የቀምጥ (ጥንታዊ ግብጽ) ቃላት ናቸው ። ጥር በግብጽ ክርስቲያኖችም ጥር ሲሆን እሱም የመከር ወራቸው ነው ። ስለዚህ የዘመን ቆጠራችን አንድ መሆን አለበት ። ራሱ የጁሊያን ዘመን አቆጣጠር ግን በሮማው ጁሊየስ ቄሳር የተመሰረተ ነው ። ድሮ ኢምፓየሮች ሲለዋወጡ የራሳቸው ዘመን አቆጣጠር ያውጁ ነበር ። ስለሆነም የሮማዊያን ጁሊያን ካላንደር ማርች (March) አንደኛ ወር ነበር ። ለዚህ ነው ለምሳሌ ሴፕቴምበር (7ኛ ወር) ዛሬ በጎሪጎሪያ 9ኝ ወር የሆነው ። በሁለት ወር ይለያያሉ። ኢትዮጵያ ደሞ በራሳችን የበልግ፣ ክረምት፣ ጸደይ፣ በጋ ሳይክል መሰረት መስከረም 1ኛ ወር ያደረግነው ።

የወራቶቻችን ስሞች ትርጉም ዲኮድ አድርጌ አልጨረስኳችውም ። በኔ ግምት የቤተ ክህንነት ሊቆች የሚያቁት ይሆናል ። ግሩም ጥያቄ ነው ያነሳሃው! መስከረም ምን ማለት ነው? ጥቅምት? ወዘተ። በእኔ ግምት በጥንታዊ አማልክቶች ስም የተሰየሙ ይመስለኛ ። ቃላቶቹ ግን የቀምጥ ወይም ጥንታዊ ግዕዝ ናቸው ። ከተሳሳትኩ አርማለሁ ።

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 13 Sep 2021, 15:33

I don't want to mix myself where I can't provide more emprical and additional information but there is one critical point I would like to raise here.

The land of Origin, I hope this is not just a fiction. It is based on some anecdotal evidences, many respected scholars have already concluded this as a sound proposition.

Just recently there was a documentary presented on ETV and there were many views that was included into the work. One of the point that impressed me much was where someone said the first civilization was that of the Ethiopians, which was overtaken by the Egyptians, from Egyptians, the Babylonians, from there the Grecians from there to the Romans and so on (I am just trying to recall and I could have also missed some link here). It was very much impressive and those people are not a kind of people who just throw something out randomly.

If there is a correlation between the Ethiopians and the Egyptians, then these must have also based on pre Christianity connection between the two, I think, according to my current understanding.

So, if Ethiopia is indeed the land of Origin, then there is no surprise that many around us also borrowed something from us (it is also possible that we were Egyptians before we became Ethiopians and we borrowed from them), specially things relating to the natural environment and the way we interact with it, which a Calendar is one.

Horus
Senior Member+

Post by Horus » 13 Sep 2021, 15:58

DefendTheTruth,
እኔ እስከ ዛሬ ባገኘሁት ቁርጥራጭ ኤቪደንስ ወይም ማስረጃ ወደ ፊት ትክክል ሆኖ የሚወጣው ቲሲስ መጨረሻ ያልከውን ነው። በግሪኮች ኢትዮጵያዊ ከመባላችን በፊት ግብጻዊያን (ቀምጦች) ነበርን። ለምሳሌ ከ20 አመት በላይ በግሌ የማጠናው ነገር አለ፣ እሱም የኢትዮፒክ ቋንቋ ከፕሮቶ ኢንዶ ኢሮፒያን ስረ ቃላት ጋር ያለው ዝምድና ነው ። (proto-Indo-European root words). አለምን የሚያስደምም ምስጢር ያዘለ መስክ ነው ። ይህ ሁሉ እስቲ አገራችን ተረጋግታ ጠንከር ያለ የቋንቋ ሪሰርች ኢንስቲቲዩት ቆሞ የምር ምርምር ሲጀመር እናየዋለን ። ስለዚህ ጥንታዊ ግብጾች እነማን ነበሩ? በቅርብ ምስራቃዊያንና ግሪክ ከተወረሩና ግብጽ የግሪክ ቅኝ ከሆነች በኋላ እነዚህ ግብጾች የት ሄዱ? ዛሬ የት ነው ያሉት? የቀምጥ ቋንቋ ቅሪት ዛሬ በየትኛው የዘመናችን ቋንቋዎች ውስጥ ተቀብሮ ነው ያለው እየተባለ እውነቱ መውጣቱ አይቀሬ ነው ። ኬር