Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
temari

#telebirr, the Game Changer! PM Abiy and CEO of Ethio Telecom launch telebirr

Post by temari » 11 May 2021, 13:45

As I said, telebirr will become the biggest mobile money service beating all existing services like E-Birr etc. My prediction is telebirr will penetrate every small and big businesses and will replace bank notes in many areas. telebirr will enable the current 53 million Ethio Telecom customers automatically be able to pay using their cell phones without having a bank account. telebirr will be big, very big!

Last edited by temari on 11 May 2021, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

temari

Re: #telebirr, the Game Changer! PM Abiy and CEO of Ethio Telecom launch telebirr

Post by temari » 14 May 2021, 06:41

CEO explains telebirr on Tadias Addis FM Radio. 25K users registered during the following night after the launch of the service.

temari

Re: #telebirr, the Game Changer! PM Abiy and CEO of Ethio Telecom launch telebirr

Post by temari » 15 May 2021, 13:40

CEO of Ethio Telecom on Fana TV.

temari

Post by temari » 28 May 2021, 17:21

Ethio Telecom CEO Frehiwot just get it! I wish we had such passionate, workaholic and competent leaders everywhere especially in the foreign ministry.

temari

Post by temari » 10 Jun 2021, 12:40

Last edited by temari on 10 Jun 2021, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

ZEMEN

Post by ZEMEN » 10 Jun 2021, 13:50

temari wrote:
11 May 2021, 13:45
As I said, telebirr will become the biggest mobile money service beating all existing services like E-Birr etc. My prediction is telebirr will penetrate every small and big businesses and will replace bank notes in many areas. telebirr will enable the current 53 million Ethio Telecom customers automatically be able to pay using their cell phones without having a bank account. telebirr will be big, very big!

The Idea is good but Ethiopia doesn't have the infrastructure that would able to make it work. Just anther election time propaganda.

temari

Post by temari » 10 Jun 2021, 14:59

ZEMEN wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 13:50
temari wrote:
11 May 2021, 13:45

The Idea is good but Ethiopia doesn't have the infrastructure that would able to make it work. Just anther election time propaganda.
I'm not sure if you understood what telebirr is all about. Sorry, but Ethiopia does indeed have the infrastructure to make it work. Majority of Ethiopians do not have bank account but 52 million do have mobile subscription even in rural areas. Telebirr works both with mobile data and without mobile data using only SMS short messages. That means it gives opportunity for millions of people without a bank account to have a mobile bank account using just their mobile phones. Small business will be able to receive money without having a bank account. Sending and receiving money will be very easy even in rural areas. The basis for telebirr is that Ethiopia has a wider access of mobile service but very limited access when it comes to banks. This is where telebirr comes in. It uses the wide telecom infrastructure to offer banking services for the millions unbanked by just using their mobile phones.

Telebirr will transform the mobile phones of millions to be their bank account. Mobile money has been successful in many african countries where most people have mobile phones but not bank services. My prediction is that telebirr will be a huge success in Ethiopia in just 1-3 years. Already in just 27 days after launching the service, it got almost 4 million registered users and over 300 million birr transactions. Telebirr is a big deal for poorer countries like Ethiopia. I tell you for telebirr the sky is the limit.

Here is the leading African mobile money service M-PESA from Kenya.

temari

Post by temari » 11 Jun 2021, 03:15

Even Listros are already accepting money with telebirr.

temari

Post by temari » 04 Jan 2022, 17:18

The winners of this TV show get their money paid via Telebirr in real time and the participants seem very comfortable with the system.
No need to have a traditional bank account which normally takes 2-3 business days to transfer money.
It seems Telebirr is already transforming the financial sector and is affecting the lives of millions of Ethiopians.

Pay your electric, telecom and other utility bills with Telebirr

Buy RIDE (UBER) Credit with Telebirr

Or send money from abroad

temari

Post by temari » 03 Mar 2022, 12:09

As expected, Telebirr is penetrating every aspect of life.
Today, a traffic fine digital payment solution via telebirr was launched.
የትራፊክ ቅጣት በቴሌብር!

Drivers can now pay their traffic penalty immediately from their driver seats saving the age-old paper-based payment system and the drivers’ time and money.

How convenient!

Tiago

Post by Tiago » 03 Mar 2022, 13:47

. Drawbacks or disadvantages of Mobile Money
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Mobile Money:
➨The customers are required to obtain compliance from the respected banks.
➨Lack of interoperability between networks restricts reach and makes transactions cumbersome.
➨Adoption of mobile money usually requires multi-party involvement (viz. agents, governments, corporations etc.). The trust is needed between these in order to have successful mobile money platform.
➨The ignorance and illiteracy from people need to be reduced in order to have wide acceptance of the system.
➨It requires app to be installed which is not available in all the mobile phones. Smart phones are needed for this purpose.
➨It is advisable not to provide passwords and other details to anyone. Failing to do so will lead to scam and theft.