Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
DefendTheTruth
Member+

OBN, tone it down, it is simply not in our culture, I think.

Post by DefendTheTruth » 08 Jan 2021, 16:12

I always asked myself until today about what the rationality behind the idea of creating ethnically divided Ethiopia, knowing well that somebody is just a minority in such an arrangement, and then turn around and declare oneself the main power broker of the union (as 6 % of the union) over those who make up over 35 or 40 % of the whole, could be, all in vain.

All these for about 30 years. It was not a short time to correct the misguided decision, if mistake was made at the onset and has been recognized afterwards as such.

Now it is un-Oromo to show off power or take a pride over winning over one's adversary and sing about winning over those who were misguided, it is not in the interest of the people to people relation in the future, which will remain even long after those responsible have been gone (on both sides). It is not in-line with the idea of reconciliation and forgiveness stated at the onset of the current reform as well.

I think it was Mitchell Obama who said very recently something like "when they go low and lower, we go high and higher, we will never allow ourselves to get to their level".

If they have lost, then just forgive and move on, it is unfortunate chapter of our history.

For the record here: this is just a flash-back of archive videos, presented without any comment, but I thought it is untimely to show it in such a way at this time.

Misraq

Re: OBN, tone it down, it is simply not in our culture, I think.

Post by Misraq » 08 Jan 2021, 16:39

come on. let them enjoy the victory a little bit. it hasn't been 40 days since the victory is declared. the tigre was dancing for 29 years infront of our eyes and yes you are right we dewell so much hatred when we see them drunk with their attempt to humiliate us. but i do agree with you that the Amhara or Oromo need to stop somewhere may be a month or two from now on. Being drunk on victory is for the weak not for the brave. Life should go back to normal afterwards. We should not humiliate the tigre after the 80 days grace period

sun
Member+

Re: OBN, tone it down, it is simply not in our culture, I think.

Post by sun » 08 Jan 2021, 21:06

DefendTheTruth wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 16:12
I always asked myself until today about what the rationality behind the idea of creating ethnically divided Ethiopia, knowing well that somebody is just a minority in such an arrangement, and then turn around and declare oneself the main power broker of the union (as 6 % of the union) over those who make up over 35 or 40 % of the whole, could be, all in vain.

All these for about 30 years. It was not a short time to correct the misguided decision, if mistake was made at the onset and has been recognized afterwards as such.

Now it is un-Oromo to show off power or take a pride over winning over one's adversary and sing about winning over those who were misguided, it is not in the interest of the people to people relation in the future, which will remain even long after those responsible have been gone (on both sides). It is not in-line with the idea of reconciliation and forgiveness stated at the onset of the current reform as well.

I think it was Mitchell Obama who said very recently something like "when they go low and lower, we go high and higher, we will never allow ourselves to get to their level".

If they have lost, then just forgive and move on, it is unfortunate chapter of our history.

For the record here: this is just a flash-back of archive videos, presented without any comment, but I thought it is untimely to show it in such a way at this time.

Hmm.... 8)

Actually you are 100% wrong in m y opinion because a minority coming from the 6% base came to monopolized the entire military, security, police, economic, governance,etc. of the 94% out out some 110 million Ethiopian population, constructing secrete and public consecrations camps to which Oromos were forced in and made the language of these centers Afaan Oromo.

They have the right to get together and reflect on their past journeys because it was a journey of scarifies, dedication and success which they need even in the future for challenging injustices and inequalities. How many Oromo groups and movements have been defeated over and over again and again, leaking their wounds over and over again for the last some 50 long years and often getting together and cry on "martyr days"? If you choose to get together and mourn declared "martyr days" why is it bad to get together and enjoy victory periods and the roads that led to the victory and through that send communal and individual positive energy . This is not a matter of being Oromo or non Oromo but a matter of being Human alone.

Oromos got together, and put up sustained struggles and finally freed themselves after losing lots of limbs and lives along the journey. Where have the Oromos gone lower and to their level other than getting together and reflecting on the history and unifying rituals of their struggle? And this struggle is fresh and still ongoing in which case there need not be any complacency as far as self defense and necessary mobilizations are concerned both for the Oromos and the entire Ethiopian people.

For the members of the defense forces and their families who have been divided, kidnapped, killed, demobilized and shamed deep down to their bones, the trauma is so fresh and long lasting and deep, to say the least. But now the provisional regional administration of Tigray needs to help the citizens there with security, stability, economic and other welfare and well being empowering issues. BINGO!
8)