Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
temari

Over 55% of federal officials in higher positions refuse to register their personal wealth. Deadline passed!

Post by temari » 16 Oct 2020, 17:45

I'm not sure if it is a good move to force them to register their wealth. Many capable officials could just leave their positions. I'm not sure new incompetent and poorer officials will be good for the job. This practice could also scare many competent people from working for the government in higher positions. This is too private.

Za-Ilmaknun

Re: Over 55% of federal officials in higher positions refuse to register their personal wealth. Deadline passed!

Post by Za-Ilmaknun » 16 Oct 2020, 18:13

First the government has to earn trust about the system that it runs. As it stands now, unless one is willing to be confused, there isn't much of an indication that there is true intention on the part of the government where we are heading to. They talk in rosy words words and ...they act as by standers when innocent lives are lost to spears and sharp blades. It has been now 2.5 years since TPLF was chased out...but the people that it left behind are the ones running the show...in the same way it was ran before. The only difference is now TPLF is replaced by OLF. How could people give out all info about their riches (most of it most probably have been gotten illegally) to the novices whose direction is so not yet defined to put it mildly?

As to the fear of competent people leaving their position because of this ; I would say good riddance!! The country has more able professionals who are pushed out of the system because of their political positions. After all most of these thieves are leftovers of the TPLF era and we only will be better off without them. Watch how they Abiy administration takes this opportunity to cleanse itself off the leaches....but then a very hungry tribal leach is only waiting to fill in.

tolcha

Re: Over 55% of federal officials in higher positions refuse to register their personal wealth. Deadline passed!

Post by tolcha » 16 Oct 2020, 20:17

temari wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 17:45
I'm not sure if it is a good move to force them to register their wealth. Many capable officials could just leave their positions. I'm not sure new incompetent and poorer officials will be good for the job. This practice could also scare many competent people from working for the government in higher positions. This is too private.

For God's sake, who the hell is competent gov official from bunch of baboons like you? Don't tell the PM is competent. Fandiya Cadre. Get the hell out of this site now!!

Sam Ebalalehu

Post by Sam Ebalalehu » 16 Oct 2020, 21:08

It is a feel good move. In reality, it does not address the real issue : corruption has become a culture in Ethiopia during the TPLF ruling. If the idea is if the officials remain corruption free, they set an example to Ethiopians at large, there is no any evidence to back up that assertion.
The main reason that corruption has spread in Ethiopia at an alarming rate has been because of the politics the country has followed.
Remember the wise statement of our late prime minister : as long as one is an EPDRF member anything is possible. I am not quoting him verbally. I am paraphrasing what he said.
When a leader of a nation gives a green light by implying if you are an EPDRF member, you could do whatever you want to do, yes, it lures potential thieves in masses.
Ethiopians do not need a feel good cosmetic change. They need a radical surgery to fight off corruption. That takes many years. It in fact starts from elementary school.
For such a prolonged struggle, the government should devise a long term strategy, not a headline grabbing , but unproductive tactical move.