Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Temt
Member+

The Indomitable ህድሞ!

Post by Temt » 29 Jun 2020, 13:31

For those forum members who may not be familiar with the subject, I have decided to re-write the impressiveness of the indomitable greatness of our ህድሞ (hidmo) in English. Happy reading...

The ህድሞ is a rectangular prismatic dwelling structure that is dominant in Eritrea and Tigrai. Unlike the standard huts found in most of Africa, the ህድሞ is designed and constructed in such a way that it is compartmentalized to provide dining, socializing, sleeping, and cooking, areas not different than the modern villa.
To start with, there is the ውሻጠ (kitchen) where the ጣይታ፡ ሃንዛ(ምልሶ)፡ ቅጫ፡ ጎጎ፡ ገዓት፡ ሽልጆ፡ ሕልበት: ቆሎ-ጥጥቖ and a variety of finger-licking ኣጻብሕ፡ are cooked. They are kept in the natural coolness obtained from the ህድሞ walls made from stone and mud and the ናሕሲ (roof) made of various sized wood (timber), tree branches, hay, and dirt, supported by ኣዕኑድ (Pillars). Add to that, there is the open spacing between the top part of the walls at the ምድሪ ቤት (main floor) area for circulation of fresh air where the livestock could sleep in. Sometimes they are kept outside the ህድሞ in the ገበላ (front yard) secured by ደንደላ (gate). A section of the ገበላ is the front part of the ህድሞ where the ናሕሲ protrudes to provide shelter from the elements, mainly rain. Usually, there are 2 ንእድታት (beds) for those who love to sleep in the open or to guard the livestock against any possible wild animal attack even if there is a guard dog. If one is lucky, there is a pile of ድዂዒ (manure) and ዒባ (dung) or ashes from the እቶን useful for fertilizing the fields and to augment the firewood that the villagers need!
The ውሻጠ is made up of the main one where many of the cooking is done - እቶን ሞጎጎ፡ ሞቕሎ & ጻሕሊ፡ - and another one where the ስዋ፡ ብርዚ፡ or ሜስ and other essentials are kept like ጠስሚ፡ ልኻይ፡ ብራሕ፡ ኣጅቦ: ጸባ፡ በርበረ፡ መዓር፡ ጌሶ፡ ጥረምረ at a cool temperature. Of course, there may be a specially built-in "hole" strategically located on the floor on the one section of the ውሻጠ for our women's grooming needs the ጉብጥሽ

The largest part of the ህድሞ is the ምድሪ ቤት፡ (main floor) where it is divided from the ውሻጠ by some wellbuilt and neatly linedup ቆፎታት (grain silos) and a መሕለፊት (passage)። The ምድሪ ቤት hosts the ንእድታት ምስ ማእስታቱ፡ (beds) መደባት ምስ ኣጎዛታቱ፡ (seating benches) መንበራት (chairs) and the መጥሓን with its ጓል መዲድ and ቦኽራ (grain grinding utensils).
Finally, there is that ሑጋ (back door/ back yard), which many times includes the መረባዕ (corrugated zinc roofed stone-walled rooms).

Nowadays, the all-purpose ህድሞ is being built by sustainable materials (like cement and mortar) for the አዕኑድ (pillars) and ኣግማል (beams). Many are also being electrified via Solar/thermal energy. Some of them are being water plumbed service with a Satellite Dish and mobile phone service. I have seen some ህድሞs with solar power for lighting and water heaters, as well as rain gutter drainage system to catch critical water supply into an underground cistern; and a middle eastern type toilet (not my favorite) with an underground septic tank that holds the waste for disposal. So, ladies and gentlemen, with ህድሞ at your disposal who needs a villa?
LOL!

Last edited by Temt on 30 Jun 2020, 12:21, edited 3 times in total.

Temt
Member+

Re: The Indomitable ህድሞ!

Post by Temt » 29 Jun 2020, 15:20

Delapidated but classical ህድሞs:

Awash
Senior Member+

Post by Awash » 29 Jun 2020, 15:53

I own one of these in our village outside Asmara. It was built by my great grandfather and was passed down to the youngest son, my grandpa. It was then passed to his youngest son, my father, who passed it on to me, his youngest son.
Last edited by Awash on 29 Jun 2020, 18:28, edited 2 times in total.

pushkin
Member+

Post by pushkin » 29 Jun 2020, 15:58

I can't stop laughing AGAME MAN! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Awash wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 15:53
I own one of these in our village outside Asmara. It was built by my great grandfather and was passed down to the youngest son, my grandpa. It was then passed to his youngest son, my father, who passed it on to me, his youngest son.

Awash
Senior Member+

Post by Awash » 29 Jun 2020, 16:32

bushtin,
It so true. I knew it was going to pizs deqi40 very much.
I'm sorry to destroy your fake Eritrean identity.
I also inherited a beautiful villa near Hamassien Hotel right in the middle of Asmara tsaEda. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)
pushkin wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 15:58
I can't stop laughing AGAME MAN! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Awash wrote:

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 29 Jun 2020, 17:15

He's laughing at you, you twàt! :lol:

I can see clearly the home I grew up in, in campo di stato (vicino al Cinema Impero). Che cazzo ne sai di Asmara, figlio du una troja- puttana?

May someone drown you, in the awash river!!! :lol:

Awash wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 16:32
[deleted],
I also inherited a beautiful villa near Hamassien Hotel right in the middle of Asmara tsaEda. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)
pushkin wrote:
I can't stop laughing AGAME MAN! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
Awash wrote:

Awash
Senior Member+

Post by Awash » 29 Jun 2020, 17:55

Zombie,
He can laugh all he wants, deqi komarit. But, I own one of these and didn't even grow up in Asmara, you stupid mothafockers.
:lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
Zmeselo wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 17:15

I can see clearly the home I grew up in, in campo di stato (vicino al Cinema Impero). Che cazzo ne sai di Asmara, figlio du una troja- puttana?

Awash wrote:
[deleted],
pushkin wrote:
I can't stop laughing AGAME MAN! :mrgreen:
Awash wrote:

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 29 Jun 2020, 18:18

Then don't say he's pissêd, wedi còntròmuro nay hrkam.

And btw, dreaming is still free last I checked. So, knock ur biiatch self out!

But if by some bizarre life coincidence it happens to be true, villa near Hamasien hotel- owned by a guy who grew up in amara land and who now lives in the US- with no discernible contribution to Eritrea's wellbeing etc...it won't be that difficult for Eri- security services to figure out who you might be.

And I'm sure, they follow the goings- on in this forum very carefully. :lol:
Awash wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 17:55
Zombie,
He can laugh all he wants, deqi komarit. But, I own one of these and didn't even grow up in Asmara, you stupid mothafockers.
:lol: :mrgreen:
Zmeselo wrote:

Awash wrote:
[deleted],
pushkin wrote:
Awash wrote:

Awash
Senior Member+

Post by Awash » 29 Jun 2020, 18:26

Not only does Awash own one of these in the middle of Hamassien...

He also owns one of these beauties right at the heart of Asmara :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Fed_Up
Senior Member+

Post by Fed_Up » 29 Jun 2020, 19:35

Asswash ቀዳዳው...

We all know who you really are. You told us, let the interested readers find out from horse mouth. It is a click away in the bottom link

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=214957&hilit=Awash+ ... d+yourself

Awash wrote:

Awash
Senior Member+

Post by Awash » 29 Jun 2020, 19:58

Not only does Awash own one of these in the middle of Hamassien...

He also owns one of these beauties right at the heart of Asmara :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

molover

Post by molover » 29 Jun 2020, 21:12

Temt wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 15:20

Thank you brother Temt,
For sharing.

Awash
Senior Member+

Post by Awash » 29 Jun 2020, 22:07

Awash plans to install water wells of this type all over Eritrea, including next to his ህድሞ in his village

Awash
Senior Member+

Post by Awash » 30 Jun 2020, 11:46

Zombie,
Are you going to have your tyrant's agents bulldoze my property?
:roll: :roll: :cry:
Zmeselo wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 18:18

But if by some bizarre life coincidence it happens to be true, villa near Hamasien hotel- owned by a guy who grew up in amara land and who now lives in the US- with no discernible contribution to Eritrea's wellbeing etc...it won't be that difficult for Eri- security services to figure out who you might be.

And I'm sure, they follow the goings- on in this forum very carefully. :lol:
Awash wrote:
Zombie,
:lol:
Zmeselo wrote:

Awash wrote:
[deleted],
I also inherited a beautiful villa near Hamassien Hotel right in the middle of Asmara tsaEda. :mrgreen: 8)
pushkin wrote:
Awash wrote:

Temt
Member+

Post by Temt » 30 Jun 2020, 12:34

molover wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 21:12
Temt wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 15:20

Thank you brother Temt,
For sharing.
You are more than welcome brother Molover. In these days of a hectic life and a tendency to look at the Western-type lifestyle, I feel it is imperative that we appreciate the many great things our humble but hardworking ancestors spared us. We have a history and legacy we all can be proud of! But it must be told and retold, if nothing else, for the benefit of our younger generations.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 30 Jun 2020, 14:30

Don't start weeping on me, now! :lol:

Nah, 1st of all, I don't believe you're an Eritrean. Your own confession of your proud ethiopiawnet, suffices.

Plus, one has to have paid his/her 2% to be able to own property while living outside and I don't think you're that generous or patriotic.

Attempting to bulldoze Eritrea in cahoots with outside forces is a high crime, punishable by death. The property is safe. I don't know about you, though. :lol:

Awash wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 11:46
Zombie,
Zmeselo wrote:

And I'm sure, they follow the goings- on in this forum very carefully.
Awash wrote:
Zombie,

Zmeselo wrote:

Awash wrote:
[deleted],
I also inherited a beautiful villa near Hamassien Hotel right in the middle of Asmara tsaEda. :mrgreen: 8)
pushkin wrote:

Awash
Senior Member+

Post by Awash » 30 Jun 2020, 15:42

But, I'm gonna let Mesfin Hagos stay in my house or ህድሞ free of rent for the rest of his life
Zmeselo wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 14:30
Don't start weeping on me, now! :lol:

Nah, 1st of all, I don't believe you're an Eritrean. Your own confession of your proud ethiopiawnet, suffices.

Plus, one has to have paid his/her 2% to be able to own property while living outside and I don't think you're that generous or patriotic.

Attempting to bulldoze Eritrea in cahoots with outside forces is a high crime, punishable by death. The property is safe. I don't know about you, though. :lol:

Awash wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 11:46
Zombie,
Zmeselo wrote:

And I'm sure, they follow the goings- on in this forum very carefully.
Awash wrote:
Zombie,

Zmeselo wrote:

Awash wrote:
[deleted],

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 30 Jun 2020, 16:52

Areza solar power plant, nearly complete..!!

Awash
Senior Member+

Post by Awash » 30 Jun 2020, 17:05

I'm thinking I'll put a solar panel on my hidmo.