Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Zmeselo
Senior Member+

RIP, Mory Kanté

Post by Zmeselo » 22 May 2020, 15:47

Music

Mory Kanté: Guinean musician dies aged 70 from chronic health problems

The Yé Ké Yé Ké singer’s son said he was unable to travel to France for his usual treatment owing to coronavirus-related restrictions

Laura Snapes

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... h-problems

Fri 22 May 2020

The Guinean musician Mory Kanté has died aged 70. His son Balla Kanté told the AFP news agency that his death was the result of untreated chronic health problems.
He suffered from chronic illnesses and often traveled to France for treatment, but that was no longer possible with the coronavirus,
said Balla.
We saw his condition deteriorate rapidly, but I was still surprised because he’d been through much worse times before.
Kanté died in hospital in the capital, Conakry.

Kanté found international success in 1987 with the song Yé Ké Yé Ké. It was the first African single to sell more than 1m copies, reaching No 1 across several European countries and become a key track in Britain’s late 80s club revolution – in 2018, DJ Paul Oakenfold included the Afro Acid Mix of the track on an acid house compilation. Yé Ké Yé Ké’s parent album, Akwaba Beach, became the bestselling African record of all time and won the 1988 Victoires de la Musique prize for best Francophone album.

In a 2009 interview, he credited the song’s enduring quality https://www.libe.ma/Entretien-avec-le-g ... a4152.html to his enthusiastic spirit.
Whether you play kora, balafon or any other instrument, you have to create something that people will not soon forget. As long as your work is good, we don’t forget it.
Senegalese musician Youssou N’Dour paid tribute, calling Kanté
a baobab of African culture.
The president of Guinea, Alpha Condé, said that African culture was in mourning and praised Kanté’s “exceptional” career. The French producer Dimitri from Paris described him as a
great music master.

Mory Kanté: Yé Ké Yé Ké – video

Of Malian and Guinean descent, Kanté was born in the village of Albadaria on 29 March 1950. His parents were El Hadj Djeli Fodé Kanté and singer Fatouma Kamissoko, from one of Guinea’s best-known families of musicians. Age seven, he was sent from Guinea to Bamako, Mali, to learn to play the kora, the instrument that would later make him famous. He also played balafon. In 1971, age 21, he joined the Rail Band, and later replaced Salif Keïta as the singer. Of his time in the band, he said:
We were young and careless about not thinking about money. Only perfection, perseverance and success counted.
In the 1980s, Kanté moved to Paris. His popularity in France saw him nicknamed “the electronic griot”. He cycled through different musical styles over the subsequent decades. In the 2000s, he embraced more acoustic music, often in an orchestral setting. For his 2012 album La Guinéenne, he embraced the golden age of west African music: lyrics in the Guinean Mandinka language accompanied by zouk, funk and reggae.

Later in his career, Kanté expressed his pride that he was able to construct an entertainment complex in the village of Nongo, near Conakry, featuring a 1,500-seat auditorium, two sophisticated recording studios and leisure facilities. He also gave guest lectures at universities around the world, expanding on his interest in the industrialisation of culture.

As a solo artist, he released 13 studio albums. The last, N’Diarabi, was released in 2017. In 2014, he recorded Africa Stop Ebola alongside artists including Amadou & Mariam, Salif Keïta and Oumou Sangaré. It sold 250,000 copies, raising money for Médicins Sans Frontières.

Speaking to the Guardian in 2004, https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian ... 7.weekend1 he said he would like to be remembered
as a man of culture, as a citizen of the world who delivers his messages in music, and as a tireless traveller looking to meet and know the people of this world.

Cigar

Re: RIP, Mory Kanté

Post by Cigar » 22 May 2020, 16:13

Zmeselo, Africa is still colonized both by politics and culture by its previous colonizers languages.
I mean, I admit there are lots of wonderful African artist, but they became so, because their songs have more audience because they are in English or French...... colonizers.
If you ask me, our artists would have been or should have been the leading artists (musicians) of Africa if ours were also in the colonizers languages.
Now listen to this Abeba Haile's song, which is only one of many songs of our artists.
The changing of the melody in the same one song is mesmerizing. To appreciate what I am saying one needs to listen to the song in its entirety.
I imagine that there are good songs in Amharic, Oromo or any other Ethiopian languages, except in agamigna aka broken tegarus tigrigna.
In my eyes, it is second to none of the baboons who still are singing, speaking in their old masters song putting their own languages to the gutter.
Any way, RIP.

Happy independence day my people and my country...ERITREA.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 22 May 2020, 16:21

Cigar wrote:
22 May 2020, 16:13
Zmeselo, Africa is still colonized both by politics and culture by its previous colonizers languages.
I mean, I admit there are lots of wonderful African artist, but they became so, because their songs have more audience because they are in English or French...... colonizers.
If you ask me, our artists would have been or should have been the leading artists (musicians) of Africa if ours were also in the colonizers languages.
Now listen to this Abeba Haile's song, which is only one of many songs of our artists.
The changing of the melody in the same one song is mesmerizing. To appreciate what I am saying one needs to listen to the song in its entirety.
In my eyes, it is second to none of the baboons who still are singing, speaking in their old masters song putting their own languages to the gutter.
Any way, RIP.

Yes, brother! You're basically correct. No debate about that. This artist in particular though & Youssou N'dour too, sang with their native language.

Just to be precise.

Cigar

Post by Cigar » 22 May 2020, 16:29

Zmeselo it might be so, but majority of the African artists are known because of their colonial masters tongues.
It is the same crap about the Pan Africanist so called leaders.
Look now what PIA says in tigrigna is getting lost in the language.
Just the other day I saw the Ghanaian president saying in front of Macron exactly what PIA been saying for 40 years. What they praise Thomas Sankara been said by PIA millions of times, but the audience is limited and thus PIA is sadly being picked by the white colonizers of these same artists.
"Eritreans are the bad example of good things for the African continent" is what these mother fuc*kers colonizers still call us, which in my eyes, I wear on my sleeves proudly.

Temt
Member+

Post by Temt » 22 May 2020, 17:37

Cigar wrote:
22 May 2020, 16:13
I imagine that there are good songs in Amharic, Oromo or any other Ethiopian languages, except in agamigna aka broken tegarus tigrigna.
Any way, RIP.

ግጥሚ ናይ'ዛ ኣብ ላዕሊ ዘላ ዜማ ኣበባ ሃይለ እኖሆ፡

ዝዓበኹም፡ ዝነኣስኩም፡ ሳላኹም’ኮ’ዩ ወገነይ፡
ፍናነይ፡ ንያተይ፡ ሰማየ - ሰማያት ዝዓርገለይ፡
ዝሓመልኩም፡ ትሓሙለይ!
ዝረሓቕኩም፡ ዝቐረብኩም፡ ሳላኹም’ኮ’ዩ ወገነይ፡
ፍናነይ” ንያተይ” ሰማየ - ሰማያት ዝዓርገለይ፡
ዝሓመልኩም፡ ትሓሙለይ!
ኣብዚ ዝበጻሕኩ፡ ተሳጊረ ጓህሪ፡
ሳላኹም’ዶ’ይኮነን ኣብ ትሕቲ ፈጣሪ፡
& & & & &
{በቲ ባሕሪ ዓቕለይ፡ በቲ ጥንቑቕ ስጒመይ፡
ሓምባሲ[ት] ዝኾንኩ ኣብቲ ሰፊሕ ቀላይ፡
ሳላኹምዶ’ይኮነን፡ ሳላኹም ወገነይ፡
ምጽማም ክኢለ፡ ‘ምጽማም - ምጽማም’
ከይገበርኩ ልጓም፡} x2
ኣነ ንስኹም ዘለላየ፡ ኣነ ንስኹም ዘለላ፡
መዓር - ብመዓር ወለላ!
& & & & &
ኣነ ንስኹም ዘለላየ፡ ኣነ ንስኹም ዘለላየ፡
መዓር - ብመዓር ወለላ!
& & & & &
ዝዓበኹም፡ ዝነኣስኩም፡ ሳላኹም’ንድ’ዩ ወገነይ፡
ሳላ ሓድነት ህዝብና፡ ኣብ ሓደ መስመር ኣሎና፡
እዚ ውራይና ጸቢቑ፡ ሽግ ናጽነትና ደሚቑ፡
ደሚቑ’ወ ተዀሊዑ፡ ተዀላሊዑ”
ኣንታ ነዚ’ሞ መን ይረኽቦ፧
ፈጣሪ ባዕሉ፡ እዝጊ ዝሃቦ፡ ረቢ ዝሃቦ!
& & & & &
“ሓሶት” ክብሉና፡ ንረትዕ!
“ደኸሙ” ክብሉ፡ ንብርትዕ!
በርቲዕና’ኳ ኣብዚ በጺሕና፡ ተሰላሊሙ ገዛና፡
ደሚቑ’ወ ተዀሊዑ፡ ተወላሊዑ!
ኣንታ ነዚ’ሞ መን ይረኽቦ፧
& & & & &
ዝረሓቕኩም፡ ዝቐረብኩም፡ ሳላኹም’ንድ’ዩ ወገነይ፡
ሳላ ሓድነት ስኒትና፡ ኣብ ሓደ መስመር ኣሎና፡
ደሚቑ’ወ ተዀሊዑ፡ ተወላሊዑ!
ኣንታ ነዚ’ሞ መን ይረኽቦ፧
ፈጣሪ ባዕሉ እዝጊ ዝሃቦ፡ ረቢ ዝሃቦ!
& & & & &
“ሓሶት” ክብሉና፡ ንረትዕ!
“ደኸሙ” ክብሉ፡ ንብርትዕ!
በርቲዕና’ኳ ኣብዚ በጺሕና፡ ተሰላሊሙ ገዛና፡
ደሚቑ’ወ ተዀሊዑ፡ ተወላሊዑ!
ኣንታ ነዚ’ሞ መን ይረኽቦ፧

Temt
Member+

Post by Temt » 22 May 2020, 17:44

ዓይኒ ኣባያ ደኣ እድፈነላ'ምበር፡ ዓዲስ ማዕድን ብማዕድን! ሃብቲ ብሃብቲ ኮይና እያ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cigar

Post by Cigar » 22 May 2020, 18:07

Here is another out of this world Eritrean patriotic and sweet song.
KALASHINEY.

Cigar

Post by Cigar » 22 May 2020, 18:23

Forza, forza, forza....
The language which irritates the likes of the filthy leflafi adghi.

Temt
Member+

Post by Temt » 22 May 2020, 18:34

ክመልእ'ዩ ማዕከን ስገም ደምሃይ፡
ጽጋብ ጥራይ ይኹን ተኻኣላይ!

Temt
Member+

Post by Temt » 22 May 2020, 18:42

ህዝበይ ጓሳ ሓመሉ ኣኮዝያዳ ትማል ሰዊዱ
በጃ እናሃበ ውላዱ ኣሎ ኣብ ጽንዓት ዓሪዱ

Cigar

Post by Cigar » 22 May 2020, 18:55

Thank you bro Temt.
Here is the stage master Eritrean, African stage master Elsa Kidane.
I don't care how good are the other African countries artists who sing in their colonial tongues, but none of them can match our tegadalit, artist Elsa Kidane.

sebdoyeley
Member+

Post by sebdoyeley » 22 May 2020, 19:07

Cigar wrote:
22 May 2020, 18:55
Thank you bro Temt.
Here is the stage master Eritrean, African stage master Elsa Kidane.
I don't care how good are the other African countries artists who sing in their colonial tongues, but none of them can match our tegadalit, artist Elsa Kidane.

ohhhh Cigar how you man, I am still angry you called me agame last time, you call me agame again, I will bit your as Cigar that is no a treat it is a promise. It still inferiorate me.

Cigar

Post by Cigar » 22 May 2020, 20:39

I don't remember I called you what you just said..I usually don't concentrate on the nicks, but messages or subliminal messages.
If you are Eritrean and I called you the worst adjective there is in the world 'AGAME' then, I am sorry.
By nature, I am very skeptical.
Besides your nick is not familiar to me and I been kicking these agames behind since 2009.
I only remember the old mother fu*ker agames who been her that long plus some new ones.

Cigar

Post by Cigar » 22 May 2020, 21:07

Tesfu singing one of Osman Abdelrehim's wonderful song 'LIBEY MIDREBEDA'
The guy got lots of potential.
He has an amazing voice.
I hope he continues and shine himself and Eritrea.

sebdoyeley
Member+

Post by sebdoyeley » 22 May 2020, 21:21

Cigar wrote:
22 May 2020, 20:39
I don't remember I called you what you just said..I usually don't concentrate on the nicks, but messages or subliminal messages.
If you are Eritrean and I called you the worst adjective there is in the world 'AGAME' then, I am sorry.
By nature, I am very skeptical.
Besides your nick is not familiar to me and I been kicking these agames behind since 2009.
I only remember the old mother fu*ker agames who been her that long plus some new ones.
I accepted you apology, I have been in this site for almost 7 months now, I am about to retire, biting the agame is like biting a dead body, no reply from them. so my stay as I look it is worthless.
so how are you guys going to let me go, is there any ceremony of a drinking fist perhaps?

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 23 May 2020, 08:13

Cigar wrote:
22 May 2020, 21:07
Tesfu singing one of Osman Abdelrehim's wonderful song 'LIBEY MIDREBEDA'
The guy got lots of potential.
He has an amazing voice.
I hope he continues and shine himself and Eritrea.

I really like this song, though I would like to see him singing it without tune using digital tuner! To my ears, it sounds attractively different from the usual depressing monotonic Habesha music!