Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

Ethiopia is not Abyssinia, Abyssinia is Ethiopia's ancient Lesotho

Postby Hawdian » 30 Dec 2013, 21:52

There are confused people who have hard time distinguishing Ethiopia (a modern multi-ethnic nation) from Abyssinia (an ancient club exclusive to few). Therefore we are obligated to teach them the difference and define the modern Ethiopia which is a federal and not so perfect democratic Republic.

Abyssinia on the other hand was a tiny state that was the personal business affair of a handful. It was entirely based on fairytale stories of no less imagination than Harry Potter's world.

More than 70% of Ethiopia and Ethiopians have no affiliation, association, connection or link with Abyssinia. Therefore it's wrong for the handful relics from the past to try to define Ethiopia as their private possession (Abyssinia).

ABYSSINIA

Capital: Gonder/Gondar
Official language: Amharic and only Amharic is recognized
Ethnic groups: Amhara and its subjects (few Oromo, Gurage)
Religion: Christianity
Government: Monarchy

Flag of Abyssinia

FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA

Capital: Addis Ababa
Official languages: Amharic but all major languages are recognized and deemed languages of other human beings/ethnics.
Ethnic groups: Oromo, Amhara, Somali, Tigray, Sidama, Gurage, Hadiya, Welayta, Afar, Gamo, Nuer, Berta, Shinasha, Konso, Gumuz, Agaw, etc...over 80 groups
Religion: Islam, Christianity, Traditional religions and others
Government: Federal parliamentary republic, President, Prime Minister

Flag of Ethiopia

The difference between the two in geopolitics, mapping, location, size...

In conclusion, all Ethiopians should educate themselves about Ethiopia and define the nation for themselves before others define it for her. Lesotho should not be dictating us; it is just part of the equation and what you were in the past is irrelevant to Ethiopia.

I do not consider Tigray part of Abyssinia because Tigray has came clean and always distant itself from the horrors associated with Abyssinia. Today they are the very forefront of stopping those who are trying to dilute their Abyssinia into our Ethiopia.

TPLF played important role in the un-Abyssiniazation of Ethiopia including our constitution, the recognition of all ethnics, languages, cultures, all that is great about Ethiopia and of course Article 39. Article 39 is misunderstood, it does not represent secession or disintegration as Abyssinia camp likes to portray but it represents the rights and the self-determination of every Ethiopian. There was no such thing under Abyssinia and the few left from the past can't swallow our modern Ethiopia.

Article 39 is more Ethiopian than anything. Lesotho play Abyssinia in your games not Ethiopia.

Re: Ethiopia is not Abyssinia but Ethiopia's ancient Lesotho

Postby Oromo boy » 30 Dec 2013, 22:00

Hawdian wrote:There are confused people who have hard time distinguishing Ethiopia (a modern multi-ethnic nation) from Abyssinia (an ancient club exclusive to few). Therefore we are obligated to teach them the difference and define the modern Ethiopia which is a federal and not so perfect democratic Republic.

Abyssinia on the other hand was a tiny state that was the personal business affair of a handful. It was entirely based on fairytale stories of no less imagination than Harry Potter's world.

More than 70% of Ethiopia and Ethiopians have no affiliation, association, connection or link with Abyssinia. Therefore it's wrong for the handful relics from the past to try to define Ethiopia as their private possession (Abyssinia).

ABYSSINIA

Capital: Gonder/Gondar
Official language: Amharic and only Amharic is recognized
Ethnic groups: Amhara and its subjects (few Oromo, Gurage)
Religion: Christianity
Government: Monarchy

Flag of Abyssinia

FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA

Capital: Addis Ababa
Official languages: Amharic but all major languages are recognized and deemed languages of other human beings/ethnics.
Ethnic groups: Oromo, Amhara, Somali, Tigray, Sidama, Gurage, Hadiya, Welayta, Afar, Gamo, Nuer, Berta, Shinasha, Konso, Gumuz, Agaw, etc...over 80 groups
Religion: Islam, Christianity, Traditional religions and others
Government: Federal parliamentary republic, President, Prime Minister

Flag of Ethiopia

The difference between the two in geopolitics, mapping, location, size...

In conclusion, all Ethiopians should educate themselves about Ethiopia and define the nation for themselves before others define it for her. Lesotho should not be dictating us; it is just part of the equation and what you were in the past is irrelevant to Ethiopia.

I do not consider Tigray part of Abyssinia because Tigray has came clean and always distant itself from the horrors associated with Abyssinia. Today they are the very forefront of stopping those who are trying to dilute their Abyssinia into our Ethiopia.

TPLF played important role in the un-Abyssiniazation of Ethiopia including our constitution, the recognition of all ethnics, languages, cultures, all that is great about Ethiopia and of course Article 39. Article 39 is misunderstood, it does not represent secession or disintegration as Abyssinia camp likes to portray but it represents the rights and the self-determination of every Ethiopian. There was no such thing under Abyssinia and the few left from the past can't swallow our modern Ethiopia.

Article 39 is more Ethiopian than anything. Lesotho play Abyssinia in your games not Ethiopia.

mr crack pot go to axum there is underground tunnel with stone oblisk written in 3 languages.....its more than 2000 years old and the name Ethiopia is mentioned there axum is in tigay......you dumy ethiopian wonna be Somalian.....you somalis were once Ethiopian tewahedo followers until arabs came and raped you and converted you like they did to shabia rats make join the arab league and did nothing for you while you was killing each other didnt even bother helping you put a central government africans had to do not the camel donkey raping hairy arabs

Re: Ethiopia is not Abyssinia, Abyssinia is Ethiopia's ancient Lesotho

Postby Hawdian » 30 Dec 2013, 22:03

Meles is also the father of Ethiopia and he had no affiliation with dead Abyssinia. Therefore our chapter begins with Meles Zenawi (RIP). He was not perfect but our giant nation began its baby steps with those small feet of midget Meles Zenawi. In the end Meles has proven to us all that even midgets can be taller than dams. We say RIP to the founding father.

My revelation will be far more productive and effective than any 'armed ethnic' group struggle. Really you don't need guns. You just need to know Ethiopia is yours and how you define it. It is there to be tailored and customized for yourself.

I reject Abyssinia aka Ethiopia's Lesotho games and in such we thank the TPLF who unrolled their wicked agenda. Remember, I don't support them but I acknowledge areas I agree with them. Surely we can't all have 100% disagreement.

Ethiopia is now yours new generations.

Postby Horus » 31 Dec 2013, 01:36

Hawdian,

I beg you not make statements that would make you regret. Habasa does not mean a mixed people nor was it exclusively a name that applied to northern Ethiopia. The Name Ethiopia is associated with the Greek colonization Egypt around 300 BC and it is a rough translation of Habasa. Habasa is an Egyptian word and simply means "The Land of God" That God was the ancient Egyptian Sky God whose Eye was the Sun. This why the Greek translator got all confused with so called "burned eye". In fact is in Axum the same Sky God had two Eyes - the Sun and the Moon. You can find the two circles of the oblisk. I will tell you the exact word and Habasa bridges into Ethiopia. You need to study "sound Change" in etymological study. For our purpose, I just want to know this great Sky God was the most popular and still influential in Central and Southern Ethiopia. When Europeans came to Ethiopia they to northern part and used Habasa which made it popular and as the Greek name became popular when the Bible was written, people liked most with the coming Christianity and Habasa became associated with Non-Chriatian the Orit God followers most in central and south..Today, the content the ancient has been incorporated into Christianity as Orthodox follows both Orit and the Gospel. Habasa is the Orit Ethiopia. For your information, Egyptian also called Ethiopia the "Land of God", "The Source of Life" because the Nile. If you want to one more key information "Nile" means Life. So, when are not of something, it is wise to simply say, "I am not sure"

Postby Hawdian » 31 Dec 2013, 02:38

Horus,

I haven't mentioned anything called Habesha. Abyssinia was not Habesha either however Axum was more Habesha than Abyssinia. Abyssinia was a system by few for few while Habesha was an attempt to pool together a community in present day Ethiopia and Eritrea.

Postby Horus » 31 Dec 2013, 03:37

Hawdian wrote:Horus,

I haven't mentioned anything called Habesha. Abyssinia was not Habesha either however Axum was more Habesha than Abyssinia. Abyssinia was a system by few for few while Habesha was an attempt to pool together a community in present day Ethiopia and Eritrea.

Hawdian,
You need to be serious. Eritreans us habesha because, after separation they lost identity. They could not say Ethiopian. If they say Eritrea, they would burn the bridge so it was a convenient for youth to play with the term. Ethiopians never called themselves Abyssinians. The called themselves Habasa. Stupid Arabs found similar sounding Arabic term habis - mixed (we in Gurage call it abeshe, mixed spice). No body Habasa - is a term that is ancient and godly. Read the debate by linguists about Kadmos that related to Habasa and the origin of Greek civilization. It is a beautiful Egyptian root. I am keeping the actual kemtic word. Let me give you one more key info. The famous river Awash is named after Habasa, the Orit God of Ethiopia. Remember, we have related name for that God. derive it if you can. This is all fact...

Postby Hawdian » 31 Dec 2013, 04:28

Horus no one is talking about Habesha. You injecting that into the discussion just to confuse the readers but by now everyone knows Ethiopia is different from the two.

A perfect example of Abyssinian hiding amongst us is AbyssinianUnity who thinks Ethiopia is his private backyard (Abyssinia). This kind of people with this backwarded mentality cause more harm for Ethiopia than anyone else. The TPLF needs to do more to specify them and recognize anyone that tries to revive that old private club as terrorist.

ethiopianunity wrote:

Mr. Nolawi is very sleek, he slips in EPRDF, the toothless party in order to hide the crimes of Tplf. While I admit to his fairness and balanced views, let us face it, what is lacking under extreme views of todays narrow mind groups is the ability to differentiate 18th and 19th system which Ethiopia understandable like any country governed under Monarchy out weigh far better than under Mengistu or Tplf. Ethiopians were resisting colonialism and going against Menilik for those are obviously saying they prefer Colonialism than fighting together to free our land. This is the secret underlying issue. If we didn't have Menilik, we have colonialism, take your pick. If you go interveiw colonized nations, they will tell you they didn't like it but had no choice. It means they didn't fight far better than Ethiopians, they didn't have stronger diplomacy and negotiations than Ethiopia. This is what is unique about it. Ethiopa still was able to have strong relationships with foreign countries and moved on and did not dwell. Today Ethiopai is back to under marcianry colonialism. I don't know how he things they have achieved a lot? People are dying every where, Arab countries and in Ethiopia, people are starving, peole's livelihood and hard earned return is gone. Destroying social fabric and society does not mean it is good leadership. Does he mean erecting buildings is considered what good leadership is all about?

We have Abyssinians that can't even spell Ethiopia who want to hide behind us and our Ethiopia.

Postby ethiopianunity » 31 Dec 2013, 04:44

Horus wrote:Hawdian,

I beg you not make statements that would make you regret. Habasa does not mean a mixed people nor was it exclusively a name that applied to northern Ethiopia. The Name Ethiopia is associated with the Greek colonization Egypt around 300 BC and it is a rough translation of Habasa. Habasa is an Egyptian word and simply means "The Land of God" That God was the ancient Egyptian Sky God whose Eye was the Sun. This why the Greek translator got all confused with so called "burned eye". In fact is in Axum the same Sky God had two Eyes - the Sun and the Moon. You can find the two circles of the oblisk. I will tell you the exact word and Habasa bridges into Ethiopia. You need to study "sound Change" in etymological study. For our purpose, I just want to know this great Sky God was the most popular and still influential in Central and Southern Ethiopia. When Europeans came to Ethiopia they to northern part and used Habasa which made it popular and as the Greek name became popular when the Bible was written, people liked most with the coming Christianity and Habasa became associated with Non-Chriatian the Orit God followers most in central and south..Today, the content the ancient has been incorporated into Christianity as Orthodox follows both Orit and the Gospel. Habasa is the Orit Ethiopia. For your information, Egyptian also called Ethiopia the "Land of God", "The Source of Life" because the Nile. If you want to one more key information "Nile" means Life. So, when are not of something, it is wise to simply say, "I am not sure"

Horus,

You should write a book on anthropological/etymological study of the region and particulary on Ethiopia. Very interesting. I am not sure many fact studies other than watered down history books even on Egyptology would not mention the untold stories of our region. Heck the vast majority of Ethiopians know only specific story during Tedros. Basically Ethiopian history almost always seems to start from Tewodros and not beyond that. Todays' generation don't even know about Emperoros existance. Check this out, the Chinese are now going back to Buddhism and how Chinese history started. They are exploring the Dynasty kingdoms of the Chinese. I heard that China's civilizaton exceeds way before than even Egyptian? That is interesting.

Postby Abe Abraham » 31 Dec 2013, 04:49

I get it now when some of you said that Oromia was Madagascar. Geographically it makes sense to put Abyssinia in Lesotho and Oromia in Madagascar. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby ethiopianunity » 31 Dec 2013, 04:55

Hawdian,

What is so wrong about what I posted? Ethiopia like any other country had feudalism and Monarchy this is fact. But why is it only Ethiopai's Monarchy is seen as negative by the same narrow mind people? Every country around the world had bad and good governonce and yet, they are coming out and working much better understanding and embracing their hisotry while we are bickering on non sensical past 100 years. Who is bringing up Abyssinia if not the likes of you? Every time we talk about unity of Ethiopia, you bring up Abyssinia and Amara. What has unity has to do with being Amara or Abyssinia? I think you are trying to bring from your educators Arabs. Let us face it, your narratives and Jawars narrative is about Arab dominance via Islam. That is what your agenda is behind Ethiopia.

Instead of focusing on development and growth the narrow tells us about 100 years old, about ethnicity about relgion is only because it is divisve that is why.

Next Page

Return to Ethiopian News & Opinion