Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
eden
Member+

Who is the REAL audience for PM Abiy’s ceaseless town hall meetings

Post by eden » 21 Apr 2024, 10:12

The PM’s office is the busiest office, and its power holder always pulled in every direction for each and every hour. I think the people in these town halls are not the real audience. Besides, there are more efficient ways of reaching population than dissecting the population by every imaginable way and holding town hall after town hall as if it’s election time. Why is Abiy doing this considering it’s hugely taxing his time?

Everybody knows he is not gaining any approval regardless of outreach. So what’s the benefit? What’s he getting out of this? I thought about this for a long time but I couldn’t figure it out. Then I asked the question from a different angle. What would he lose if he doesn’t do it the continuous way he’s doing it? I still couldn’t get it. So to answer my own question, I expanded my question.

What if I ask why Abiy does it but other rulers, say President Isayas, don’t do it. Then I immediately got the answer. Isayas already has absolute control of PFDJ, the entity behind the the bank, the army and security machinery so he doesn’t feel the need to play in endless drama to “prove” to them that he is indispensable for their own existence.

Abiy needs to constantly remind the OPDO, the ruling party, that they need him. They are his real audience of the well orchestrated town halls. He is creating an illusion for this audience that he is in charge when the same audience is constantly seeing with their own eyes the opposite is happening inside the party and across the land. It’s working for him so far. Or they are letting him believe it’s working for him until they figure a way to oust him.

If they haven’t already, it won’t be long for them to see the jig is up like Minister Taye did.

Research idea 😉
the timeline of the Taye Dendea debacle and these town halls

Educator

Re: Who is the REAL audience for PM Abiy’s ceaseless town hall meetings

Post by Educator » 21 Apr 2024, 10:37

eden,
The reason his is doing all these meeting is to convince donor nations that he still has support from the population.
The west, America and EU, told him that he has no support and popularity among the many sectors of the population and he has to find a way to transfer power before things get worse than the current situation. And they told him that they wouldn't support a dying adminstration. So he went out and organized all those meetings to convince them that he still has a base. But as his name Mamo Killo suggests, he is a fool, and he hasn't still realized that they know more about his and the country's situation than him.

eden wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 10:12
Why is Abiy doing this considering it’s hugely taxing his time?

sesame
Member+

Re: Who is the REAL audience for PM Abiy’s ceaseless town hall meetings

Post by sesame » 21 Apr 2024, 10:58

edina,

Don't torture your Agame brain.

Abiy loves to talk even when he has little to say. It is one of the traits of the narcissist: He has to be in the lime-light. Abiy loves an audience. It drives his adrenaline to extreme heights to see himself in an elevated podium speaking down to a pathetic audience. The subject matter does not matter; It may be water or an iPhone. Abiy is an accident. He has little accomplishments. Esu is a giant. His resume speaks for itself. He doesn't need to blubber to get attention. He speaks with action like cruising the TPLF to Arat Kilo to sign the deal and crashing them when they back stabbed us.