Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
DefendTheTruth
Member+

The more I look at it, the more it feels awkward to me

Post by DefendTheTruth » 21 Mar 2024, 11:11

It has to be revisited, reevaluated and re-devised, it is unsustainable, specially taking into consideration of the unfolding and upcoming digital transformation era.

Digitization is all about efficiency, productivity, optimization and improving the consumption of resources to generate output.

The use of latin alphabet fails the criteria of meeting this requirements, it is inefficient, it is resource intensive, doesn't lend itself to optimization, no matter what the political imperative may say about it.

It is also awkward at the optical level itself, the longer a chain of letters appear before your eyes, the more tired you get when reading something, even at the personal level.

I went back before few years and, honestly speaking, it didn't take me much time before I got bored about reading these long Afan Oromo shields on all kinds of government and private institutions. It felt too long, trying to figure out the message. The shorter the text, the shorter the time it takes to grasp the message.

Compare these two words:

ገሞጂ = Gammoojjii (in latin aka. Qubee). How much you have to star at the two words to grasp the message itself.

This is at the word level, when taken at a sentence (longer text) level or book level, it is clear how much more energy you have to exert to get the same message.

This is at the level of personal information processing, the same is true (albeit at a more scale) with machine processing of the information. Are we prepared to make our digital processing of information less efficient?

I am not part of that tendency, if I am asked.

Naga Tuma
Member+

Re: The more I look at it, the more it feels awkward to me

Post by Naga Tuma » 25 Mar 2024, 19:55

DefendTheTruth:

To add to your comments here, do you happen to know what language or closest language those who invented Fidel spoke?

In addition, what do you read in the following two words in terms of both meanings and the symbolic nature of the origin of Fidel in ancient times: ኮሜ፣ ኮሚ?

Furthermore, ask yourself how fast you can read the words once you have seen them multiple times. Very fast with a quick glance.
DefendTheTruth wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 11:11
It has to be revisited, reevaluated and re-devised, it is unsustainable, specially taking into consideration of the unfolding and upcoming digital transformation era.

Digitization is all about efficiency, productivity, optimization and improving the consumption of resources to generate output.

The use of latin alphabet fails the criteria of meeting this requirements, it is inefficient, it is resource intensive, doesn't lend itself to optimization, no matter what the political imperative may say about it.

It is also awkward at the optical level itself, the longer a chain of letters appear before your eyes, the more tired you get when reading something, even at the personal level.

I went back before few years and, honestly speaking, it didn't take me much time before I got bored about reading these long Afan Oromo shields on all kinds of government and private institutions. It felt too long, trying to figure out the message. The shorter the text, the shorter the time it takes to grasp the message.

Compare these two words:

ገሞጂ = Gammoojjii (in latin aka. Qubee). How much you have to star at the two words to grasp the message itself.

This is at the word level, when taken at a sentence (longer text) level or book level, it is clear how much more energy you have to exert to get the same message.

This is at the level of personal information processing, the same is true (albeit at a more scale) with machine processing of the information. Are we prepared to make our digital processing of information less efficient?

I am not part of that tendency, if I am asked.