Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
DefendTheTruth
Member+

The Seven Summits meet the Seven Gorges and feed the Seven Clans

Post by DefendTheTruth » 11 May 2023, 14:19

And they will not marry into a family before the 7th Generation. 777 and many more sevens.

This man is digging out all the buried histories and exposing the generation long negelegt that was characteristic to many of the countries sights and sounds.
This is why they hate him to the morrow of their bone, they can hate him but the job is no more rewind-bar!

Naga Tuma
Member+

Re: The Seven Summits meet the Seven Gorges and feed the Seven Clans

Post by Naga Tuma » 11 May 2023, 15:31

Interesting culture that may have its roots in ancient times.

Counting to seven generations for marriage to avoid intermarriage between relatives is one of the solid cultural traits in Ethiopia that I have heard frequently since my childhood age.

More than a dozen years ago, Qamar Yusuf asked a question at a meeting in Washington DC about ancient culture from where our people got this idea in ancient times because he saw the detriment of not following it after traveling widely in the Arab countries in this time.

Speaking of the significance of seven in cultures, I have heard Nadhi Gemeda say the following in 1991 while responding to a question that he was asked: ነመ ዸሎተ ቶርበ ሰበ ኬሰ ጅራቴን ሰብን ጎሰ ብራት ጄቹን ጩቡ ዸ፣ እንስ አን ጎሰ ብራት ጄቹን ጩቡ ዸ። I am paraphrasing his words because I don't remember it word for word but the message is essentially the same.

In Amharic, it roughly means ከሰባት ትዉልዶች በላይ ኣንድ ማህበረሰብ ዉስጥ የኖረን ሰዉ ሌላ ጎሳ ነዉ ማለት ግፍ ነዉ፣ እሱም ከሌላ ጎሳ ነኝ ማለት ግፍ ነዉ።

I remember reading somewhere that the Arsi, Kambata, and/or Hadiya of Ethiopia share heritages. So, I am not sure if this cultural heritage is local or part of a wider Ethiopian heritage that started in ancient times.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 08 Jun 2023, 12:28

ማጋለጡ ቀጥሎዋል

Noble Amhara

Post by Noble Amhara » 08 Jun 2023, 15:15

Naga Tuma wrote:
11 May 2023, 15:31
Interesting culture that may have its roots in ancient times.

Counting to seven generations for marriage to avoid intermarriage between relatives is one of the solid cultural traits in Ethiopia that I have heard frequently since my childhood age.

More than a dozen years ago, Qamar Yusuf asked a question at a meeting in Washington DC about ancient culture from where our people got this idea in ancient times because he saw the detriment of not following it after traveling widely in the Arab countries in this time.

Speaking of the significance of seven in cultures, I have heard Nadhi Gemeda say the following in 1991 while responding to a question that he was asked: ነመ ዸሎተ ቶርበ ሰበ ኬሰ ጅራቴን ሰብን ጎሰ ብራት ጄቹን ጩቡ ዸ፣ እንስ አን ጎሰ ብራት ጄቹን ጩቡ ዸ። I am paraphrasing his words because I don't remember it word for word but the message is essentially the same.

In Amharic, it roughly means ከሰባት ትዉልዶች በላይ ኣንድ ማህበረሰብ ዉስጥ የኖረን ሰዉ ሌላ ጎሳ ነዉ ማለት ግፍ ነዉ፣ እሱም ከሌላ ጎሳ ነኝ ማለት ግፍ ነዉ።

I remember reading somewhere that the Arsi, Kambata, and/or Hadiya of Ethiopia share heritages. So, I am not sure if this cultural heritage is local or part of a wider Ethiopian heritage that started in ancient times.
Arsi is originally Hadiya. Hadiya speak a language similar to Oromiffa.

Queen Helena was a Hadiyan from Arsi highlands.

Today Hadiyans live on the other side of the rift valley.