Loïc "Hawey" Vliegen, Biniam Girmay's guardian angel

Post by Zmeselo » 10 Mar 2023, 12:21

CYCLING
Loïc "Hawey" Vliegen, Biniam Girmay's guardian angel
Please wait, video is loading...
Yesterday at 08:00

By Kevin Paepen

https://www.rtbf.be/article/loic-hawey- ... 46575?s=09

He follows him, like his shadow. Loïc Vliegen has been advising, supporting and protecting Biniam Girmay for almost 2 years. The 2 men became very close, within the Intermarché-Circus-Wanty team. They are currently on Tirreno-Adriatico. An Italian event, where 'Bini' yesterday ranked 3rd in the sprint during the 3rd stage won by Jasper Philipsen https://www.rtbf.be/article/tirreno-adr ... e-11163652.

Vliegen – Girmay is a very friendly duo on the bike, but also in life. So much so, that the Belgian and the Eritrean share the same nickname.
I think we met an African on the bike,
says Loïc Vliegen.
He said, 'Hey…Hawey!' I said, 'Hawey, what is that?' He then explained to me that it means 'my brother.' From that moment on, he started calling me that. My brother… my brother. So we call each other that way, all the time. Even on my phone, his name isn't Bini. His name is Hawey. And so is he. So, there you go. And everyone in the team knows, that we're called that. It's funny. We have a really good feeling. Now it's been almost 2 years. We've really struck up a friendship. We get along really well.
Even on my phone, his name is not Bini. His name is Hawey

Loïc Vliegen, has become the official teammate of the leader of the Intermarché-Circus-Wanty formation. Their first meeting dates from September 6, 2020. A meeting behind a podium at the Tour du Doubs, after a victory for the Liégeois.
The first time I saw him was when I won a race in France, in 2020. He finished, 2nd. It was the only time, I beat him. But I can assure you...I don't... I didn't beat in the sprint. I arrived on my own and won the sprint behind him,
smiles the former winner of the Tour de Wallonie.
It was one of his first pro races. I was like, 'Oh! An African like that 2nd in a really tough race. Who is it?' I did some research and saw, it was one of his first races with the pros. But hey, he was already known among the juniors. He had beaten Remco, by the way... (Editor's note: August 3, 2018 during the 1st stage of Aubel-Thimister-Stavelot) But I didn't know him, because he's much younger than me. Afterwards, we had to do another 2-3 races together that year. And then, the following year, he joined the team. And he directly showed what he was capable of and I think he hasn't finished showing really, all his abilities.
Winner of Ghent-Wevelgem and a stage of the Giro, Biniam Girmay is the first rider from black Africa to win the World Tour. He's a new, cycling star. A cyclist, who took a little time to realize the scope of his exploits last year.
Yes, he is aware of that now,
explains Vliegen.
But on the day of Ghent-Wevelgem he said to me: 'I didn't know it was such a big race, such an important race'. He knew it was a classic, but he didn't know that it was really a great race to win. I said to him: 'Well yes, it's Ghent-Wevelgem! It's still one of the races that everyone would like to win in their life (laughs)'. So , yes sometimes, he is not aware of all that he can do and all that he achieves. I believe that now very slowly he realizes, but he is someone who remains with his feet on the ground. C frankly, he's a great person. A bit apart. Unique.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Re: Loïc "Hawey" Vliegen, Biniam Girmay's guardian angel

Post by Zmeselo » 10 Mar 2023, 19:33

Tiffany, has a 💗!!!