Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
eritrea

It is crazy to create a new synod from the same church

Post by eritrea » 05 Feb 2023, 08:39

Even I do not have any deeper knowledge about the conflict that is currently going on in Ethiopia. But, what I miss in this topic regarding the religious conflict is that the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, just like all other Orthodox churches, has its own institutional canonical and dogmatic practices to which it must adhere.

One of the main achievement that Dr. Abi made when he assumed power was he successfully managed to reconcile Abune Merkorios the Patriarch who was illegally dismissed by TPLF when it assumed power and the current Patriarch Abune Mathias who was chosen to lead the church after the death of Abune Paulos who was appointed by TPLF to be Patriarch of the church.

What Dr. Abi reconciled at that time was, Abune Merkorios had his own synod representing the church according to canonical and dogmatic practices of the church. And Abune Paulos had his own synod in Ethiopia because he had the support of the government. This was broken when Abune Mathias accepted reconciliation and handed over the throne to the real Patriarch according to the canonical and dogmatic practices of the church.

And now all of sudden a new synod from the same church want to be created or should I say have already been created from nothingness because of what? I don't see any dogmatic or cnonical change. Simple put it just is crazy.

sarcasm

Re: It is crazy to create a new synod from the same church

Post by sarcasm » 05 Feb 2023, 09:57

eritrea wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 08:39
Abune Mathias accepted reconciliation and handed over the throne to the real Patriarch according to the canonical and dogmatic practices of the church.
That is not what happened.