Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
DefendTheTruth
Member+

Everything is ቦርጫ

Post by DefendTheTruth » 22 Jan 2023, 11:32

I don't come much on this forum these days, becuase it became so boring contentwise and lately also much time consuming (it takes couple of minutes before it can load a single page, and the owner of the site seems to have not scaped the so called "tech-sector slow-down" :lol: :lol: ). Many of the so called big techs are axing down their work-force in the thousands currently, according to media reports.

This site is also a tech-giant in terms of the Ethiopian tech-industry, I might be forgiven for guessing so, lol.

Today I came on and read the link about "ዋጀሀ ድንቅ (ስድስት ድንቅ ነገሮች)" by Naga Tuma, and the last enumeration point catched my eyes, the translation of Uumoo (ኡሞ) into Amharic. I used to go to google-translate if I may know a term in one of the languages arleardy supported by the service to find the counterpart in the other language. Afan Oromo is one of them, at least these days.

If I am not mistaken ኡሞ is translated into Eagle in English, which has been translated to ንስር in Amharic. I translated back ንስር into Afan Oromo and found out that it is termed Joobira or ጆብራ (I think this one is called in Amharic ጅግራ or ጅግር አሞራ, but I am not sure here). What I am sure is that ጆብራ and ኡሞ are not the same, I speak Afan Oromo as my mother tounge (native speaker, if you like) and no one equates the two birds in the language.

In my view ጆብራ should be አሞራ or ጅግር አሞራ and ኡሞ should be ንስር in Amharic.

In my view someone who is trying to write down a dictionary should first try to distinguish between the two before rushing to write it down and mislead others down the road, at many junctures, and causing confusions, just like the current versions of the Ethiopian history, that is reduced to the beginning of the South-ward "expansion" of Emperor Menelik's army, headed by Ras Gobena Dache (neat confusion for the current generation).

I heard Google was paying for those who participated in helping the translation and the amount of coins that was paid out should have been indirectly proportional to the amount of time you spend in delivering your translations, just like it is also the case for the many so called Youtube channels that have popped up everywhere and busy broad-casting "political analysis" of all sorts.

ቦርጫ is an Afan Oromo word used to say mixed-up and many things are just mixed up for our time and the country, I am afraid.

Naga Tuma
Member+

Re: Everything is ቦርጫ

Post by Naga Tuma » 23 Jan 2023, 01:39

DefendTheTruth wrote:
22 Jan 2023, 11:32
I don't come much on this forum these days, becuase it became so boring contentwise and lately also much time consuming (it takes couple of minutes before it can load a single page, and the owner of the site seems to have not scaped the so called "tech-sector slow-down" :lol: :lol: ). Many of the so called big techs are axing down their work-force in the thousands currently, according to media reports.

This site is also a tech-giant in terms of the Ethiopian tech-industry, I might be forgiven for guessing so, lol.

Today I came on and read the link about "ዋጀሀ ድንቅ (ስድስት ድንቅ ነገሮች)" by Naga Tuma, and the last enumeration point catched my eyes, the translation of Uumoo (ኡሞ) into Amharic. I used to go to google-translate if I may know a term in one of the languages arleardy supported by the service to find the counterpart in the other language. Afan Oromo is one of them, at least these days.

If I am not mistaken ኡሞ is translated into Eagle in English, which has been translated to ንስር in Amharic. I translated back ንስር into Afan Oromo and found out that it is termed Joobira or ጆብራ (I think this one is called in Amharic ጅግራ or ጅግር አሞራ, but I am not sure here). What I am sure is that ጆብራ and ኡሞ are not the same, I speak Afan Oromo as my mother tounge (native speaker, if you like) and no one equates the two birds in the language.

In my view ጆብራ should be አሞራ or ጅግር አሞራ and ኡሞ should be ንስር in Amharic.

In my view someone who is trying to write down a dictionary should first try to distinguish between the two before rushing to write it down and mislead others down the road, at many junctures, and causing confusions, just like the current versions of the Ethiopian history, that is reduced to the beginning of the South-ward "expansion" of Emperor Menelik's army, headed by Ras Gobena Dache (neat confusion for the current generation).

I heard Google was paying for those who participated in helping the translation and the amount of coins that was paid out should have been indirectly proportional to the amount of time you spend in delivering your translations, just like it is also the case for the many so called Youtube channels that have popped up everywhere and busy broad-casting "political analysis" of all sorts.

ቦርጫ is an Afan Oromo word used to say mixed-up and many things are just mixed up for our time and the country, I am afraid.
DefendTheTruth,

ኡሞ is different from eagle. They are big black birds that usually walk as a pair. I don’t remember seeing them fly. I checked for the pictures of ostrich and turkey to see if they are close to either of those. I couldn’t see them online in my quick search.

Culturally, there is one thing you are told not to do to a pair of ኡሞ. Do you remember what it is? If you do, that means you know ኡሞ.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 23 Jan 2023, 15:38

I think you might be talking about ሪሳ (ርሳ), which is also another big bird and people talk sometimes about a possible bad omen if its shadow may catch you during the sunny days.

I know for sure that ኡሞ can fly and fly high (ኡሞ ዋቀ/ሰሚ ኬሳ), ሪሳ on the other hand is very rare and I didn't know much about it.

Abere

Post by Abere » 23 Jan 2023, 16:57

In Amharic ጆቢራ (ጆሚራ) is also called ጥንብ አንሳ አሞራ። Both words are alternatively used in Amharic. This bird is termed as vulture, not an eagle in English.

Naga Tuma
Member+

Post by Naga Tuma » 24 Jan 2023, 02:51

DefendTheTruth wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 15:38
I think you might be talking about ሪሳ (ርሳ), which is also another big bird and people talk sometimes about a possible bad omen if its shadow may catch you during the sunny days.

I know for sure that ኡሞ can fly and fly high (ኡሞ ዋቀ/ሰሚ ኬሳ), ሪሳ on the other hand is very rare and I didn't know much about it.
DefendTheTruth,

ኡሞ Is different from ርሳ. I have heard of the cultural reference to a bad omen of the shadow of the latter.

I was referring to the cultural teaching of not passing between a pair of ኡሞ; they are usually found in a pair. If I remember correctly, one of them has a red neck or red skin in some part of it; that one is assumed to be the male partner.

I am not sure what that is meant to symbolize. Respect for partnership? I suppose they don’t have a known marriage.

I am asking myself now if it has anything to do with the idea of sacred union. Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code is a thriller. More than its main fiction theme, I enjoyed reading about the idea of sacred union in ancient Egypt that he wrote about in passant. I felt at home reading that part. The book ends by reflecting the respect for sacred union.

I know this sounds a bridge too far. But I can’t help asking now what not passing between a pair of ኡሞ is meant to symbolize culturally and remembering the late Laureate Taegaye Ghebremedhin’s ለካ ኣንተ ነህ when I remember about Dan Brown’s sacred union culture in ancient Egypt.

Abere,

It feels like the Amharic name of ኡሞ is in the back of my mind. I just can’t pull it out now. I hope to find it out and share it here.
Last edited by Naga Tuma on 24 Jan 2023, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Horus
Senior Member+

Post by Horus » 24 Jan 2023, 03:21

ምናልባት 90% ወፎች እስከ እለተ ሞታቸው በጋብቻ ነው የሚኖሩት! ባልና ሚስት ወፎች ሁልግዜ አብረው ናቸው። ጥምብ አንሳ ጆፌ አሞራ ነው ፣ የሞተ እንሰሳና በጦር ሜድ የሞቱ የሚበሉት ማለት ነው። ከዚያ በተረፈ ንስር አለ፣ ጭልፊት አለ፣ ቁራ አለ፣ ጆፌ አለ፣ ወዘተ ንስር ሰማይን የማካለል ክንፍ ቢኖረውም እግዚአብሄር የጭልፊት (ፋልከን) ፍጥነት አልሰጠውም ይባላል! ፈጣኑ አዳኝ ሆረስ ነው! Horus the Mighty Falcon!

Naga Tuma
Member+

Post by Naga Tuma » 24 Jan 2023, 17:31

I got help from an expert in biology for the name in both Amharic and English: እርኩም and Horn Bill. He also says there are about six or seven species of it.

I may have totally forgotten the cultural teaching about passing between a pair. He says it is rather a challenge for good fortune. I apologize if the version I remembered is wrong.

He added a local saying about its red neck: ኡሞን ፎን ኮኬት ባቴ ዴምት። ነማ ህን ላቱ ዮካን ህን ኛቱ፣

እርኩም ስጋ በአንገቷ ተሸክማ ትሄዳለች። ወይ ኣትበላ ወይ ኣታበላ ማለት ነዉ።

Naga Tuma
Member+

Post by Naga Tuma » 25 Jan 2023, 20:12

Does someone remember a Wollo song that has እሪኩም in it? If yes, what does the word mean or what is its origin?

Abere

Post by Abere » 26 Jan 2023, 15:23

Literally it is equivalent to someone surprise by sight of most beautiful woman that stole his heart away, left standing still stunned by her beauty.
" Wow! stunned by her beauty!) --- An expression of surprising beauty.

<እሪ ኩም > ከሁለት አጋኖ የአማርኛ ቃላት የተቀመረ የወሎ ዘይቤዊ የውበት አድናቆት መግለጫ ይመስላል።

እሪ! ውይም እሪስ! ይላሉ ወሎየዎች አንድ ነገር ሲያደንቁ - ከምችለው በላይ ነው ለማለት ነው ። እሪ ---> ኡኡ! ቢመስልም ይህ ውበት ከማድነቅ በላይ ነው ሲሉ እሪ!ይላሉ::

ኩም---> ክው! /ድርቅ ብሎ ወይም ፈዞ) መቅረት ። ይህም በአየሁት ውበት እጅግ ፈዝዠ ወይም ክው ብየቀረሁ እንደማለት ነው። በነገራችን ላይ የኢትዮጵያ የፍቅር እና የውበት ቅኝቶች መፍለቂያቸው ወሎ ነው።

Naga Tuma wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 20:12
Does someone remember a Wollo song that has እሪኩም in it? If yes, what does the word mean or what is its origin?

Naga Tuma
Member+

Post by Naga Tuma » 26 Jan 2023, 16:57

Abere,

ኣመሰግናለሁ።

ጫወታ ጫወታን ያመጣል ኣሉ?

እሪኩም ኣይቶ አረ ክዉ ኣልኩ እንደማለት መሁኑ ነዉ? እሪኩም እንደ እርኩሞች እንሁን ማለት መሆኑ ባይታወቅም።

ገቢና ከወሎ ሞተር ከሰላሌ የሚል ጫወታ በልጅነት ሰምቼ ነበር።

የወሎን እሪኩም የጎጃሙ ድንቅ ፀሓፊ ወደ እስከመቃብር ቀይሮታል።

የተፈቃሪዉን የአንበሳ ሽንጥ የሃገር ጸበል ኣሳይቶ የልበወለዱን እስከመቃብርን ፈጽሟል።

ከጸበሉ በላይ ሌላ ደሴ እና ወጅረ ይገኛሉ። ከወሎዉ ደሴ እና አከባቢዉ ዋጅራት ሌላ ማለት ነዉ። ኣብረዉ የሚታዩ እርኩሞች በደንብ የሚታወቁበት አከባቢ። ደንብ ከተባለ ደግሞ ከሰሜን እስከ ምዕራብ ይወስደሃል። ወይ ጉድ ይበላሎ ታሪክ።