Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Zmeselo
Senior Member+

It's legal to drink & drive, according to Obiden.

Post by Zmeselo » 05 Jul 2022, 01:20

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fiyameta

Re: It's legal to drink & drive, according to Obiden.

Post by Fiyameta » 05 Jul 2022, 03:27

I don't think Biden is saying "it's legal to drink and drive." I think his comment shows he has succumbed to the pressure exerted by civil rights groups and African American leaders, who point out to the evidence of DUI checkpoints disproportionately located in Blacks and Latino areas relative to White areas, which sheds light on the disparities in DUI conviction rates that lead to more blacks and Latino immigrants facing deportation, while white immigrants who drink and drive are not subjected to the same strict scrutiny, hence they never get pulled over by the police, and they never get charged with a felony DUI that could result in their deportation.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 05 Jul 2022, 04:14

Fiyameta wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 03:27
I don't think Biden is saying "it's legal to drink and drive." I think his comment shows he has succumbed to the pressure exerted by civil rights groups and African American leaders, who point out to the evidence of DUI checkpoints disproportionately located in Blacks and Latino areas relative to White areas, which sheds light on the disparities in DUI conviction rates that lead to more blacks and Latino immigrants facing deportation, while white immigrants who drink and drive are not subjected to the same strict scrutiny, hence they never get pulled over by the police, and they never get charged with a felony DUI that could result in their deportation.

I thought, he was subtly supporting Nancy Pelosi. Her husband was, recently, charged for DUI.

If it's as you say tho, why was the reporter so shocked by his answer?

Fiyameta

Post by Fiyameta » 05 Jul 2022, 09:07

Zmeselo wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 04:14
Fiyameta wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 03:27

I thought, he was subtly supporting Nancy Pelosi. Her husband was, recently, charged for DUI.

If it's as you say tho, why was the reporter so shocked by his answer?
Although it's hard to tell by looking at the frozen frame at the end of the video if the reporter was indeed "shocked" by his answer, it is possible that she could be oblivious to the systemic racism in the country's immigration enforcement system that is designed to keep Blacks and Latino immigrants out, while providing European immigrants the white-skinned privilege that insulates them from harsh immigration policies.

Yesterday I took my kids to a 4th of July fireworks show and I was surprised to see so many recently arrived Ukrainian immigrants attending the event, in stark contrast to the thousands of black Haitian immigrants, including hundreds of families with children, apprehended at the US-Mexico border and got deported late last year. The only black immigrant I saw at the event was the agame Meleket, who was hired by the venue to keep black immigrants out. :P