Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Statement delivered by Ambassador Sophia Tesfamariam, Permanent Representative of Eritrea in New York, during the Genera

Post by Zmeselo » 25 May 2022, 11:43

Statement delivered by Ambassador Sophia Tesfamariam, Permanent Representative of Eritrea in New York, during the General Debate on International Migration Review Forum

https://shabait.com/2022/05/25/statemen ... iew-forum/

GENERAL

May 25, 2022

Madam Chair,

The adoption of the Global Compact for Safe Orderly and Regular Migration in 2018 was a historic outcome of several years-long processes. Eritrea is proud to have actively contributed to the discussions of the New York Declaration and the Global Compact on Migration, based on its firm belief that a well-managed migration is life-saving and benefits migrants and societies in countries of origin and destination.

Madam Chair,

The success of the GCM lies in its implementation and in that regard, my delegation thanks all that have contributed to the holding of the first International Migration Review Forum (IMRF), including the UN Migration Network (UNMN) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) for conducting regional consultations to solicit views of member states. We also congratulate all delegations for their efforts on the progress declaration and we look forward to its consensual adoption later today. Allow me, madam chair, to briefly share Eritrea’s views on migration.

First, Eritrea believes a discussion on migration should recognize the fact that every person deserves the right to better opportunities and prosperity in her/his country of origin. While socio-economic and political issues contribute to pushing citizens out of their countries, in search for better economic and educational opportunities, for many in Africa, external military and economic interventions, destabilization and stocking of regional tensions, remain the most crucial factors. Wars are waged, illegal unilateral sanctions imposed and pressures applied, over nations, who opt for sovereignty over their policies. Any long-term solution for forced migration, therefore, should include ending this exploitative system that has been depriving Africans of their right to peace and development, and draining African human capital.

Second, Migrants are human beings with hopes and dreams. While aiming to realize their dreams, they are faced with difficult and harmful situations that put them in perpetual state of vulnerability. In the past years, worrying reports emerged regarding the mistreatment of migrants in countries of transit and prolonged detention by countries of destination. We have serious concerns about the illegal push back of migrants, including migrants carrying boats in the Mediterranean Sea, putting many innocent lives in danger. We are also concerned about illicit schemes such as offshoring, where some states aim to establish migrant processing locations in geographically faraway places. Such actions are a violation of international law and an affront to the dignity and rights of migrants.

Third, migrants are agents of development, yet, very often, they lack access and recognition for their contribution. We must ensure migrants’ rights to contribute to development in their countries of origin and destination as well as to maintain their cultural connection with their countries of origin, while receiving adequate support for their integration and equal access and opportunities in their countries of destination.

Fourth, we continue to witness disturbing acts of racism and xenophobia committed against migrants and diaspora communities. We find it unacceptable that in an age of information, disinformation and negative narratives continue to inform peoples opinion on migrants and migration. Governments and the media should not only condemn racism but play a leadership role by demonstrating equal treatment of migrants and sharing positive narrative in the media.

In conclusion, recognizing international cooperation as a crucial means of achieving safe, orderly and regular migration, underpinned by the recognition of migrants rights, regardless of their migration status, Eritrea will continue its cooperation with the IOM, its engagement with the Khartoum Process, and the new Horn of Africa Initiative, and remains ready to work with all countries to realize these goals.

Thank you.

19th May 2022, New York

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Re: Statement delivered by Ambassador Sophia Tesfamariam, Permanent Representative of Eritrea in New York, during the Ge

Post by Zmeselo » 25 May 2022, 11:54

ROAD
Biniam Girmay sees imminent return to training after freak eye injury at Giro d’Italia

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/bini ... o-ditalia/

'I am happy that I will not have any after-effects.' Eritrean star on the mend after prosecco cork struck left eye last week, but no Tour de France start.

MAY 25, 2022

Biniam Girmay https://www.velonews.com/tag/biniam-girmay/ sees a return to training after the freak accident that forced him out of the Giro d’Italia. https://www.velonews.com/category/events/giro-ditalia/

The breakout Eritrean ace was one of a handful of riders to struggle with the Giro’s highly charged prosecco when he won the stage into Jesi last week, blasting the bottle’s cork directly into his left eye.

Girmay’s Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert https://www.velonews.com/tag/intermarche-wanty-gobert/ crew confirmed Wednesday its star sprinter underwent medical screening in Belgium this week and is expected to resume training within the next 10 days.
Hello everyone. I am doing better but I am not yet able to jump on the bike. But fortunately, I am happy that I will not have any after-effects. I would like to thank the doctors for the good advice and my team for the support,
Girmay wrote Tuesday.

Medical staff confirmed soon after the incident last week that Girmay suffered a
hemorrhage in the anterior chamber of his left eye.
Girmay was immediately forced to the sidelines and has been watching Domenico Pozzovivo and Jan Hirt ride high since.
I hope to be able to race soon and resume my race program after some rest at home in Asmara as scheduled,
he said.
Now, I hope my team will have more success in the Giro. See you soon.
Girmay’s schedule provisionally sets the 22-year-old on course for starts at Tour de Wallonie and the WorldTour level Tour of Poland late July.

That means no possible Tour de France start for the sprinting star.

________

Jaegol

Re: Statement delivered by Ambassador Sophia Tesfamariam, Permanent Representative of Eritrea in New York, during the Ge

Post by Jaegol » 25 May 2022, 19:57

Viva Bini… Tour de France here comes Bini

Temt
Member+

Post by Temt » 25 May 2022, 21:26

New Eritrea Poem 2022 ቀብሪ እቶም ህልዋት by ሮቤል ኪዳነ ሮኪሚራ

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 25 May 2022, 22:10

Amb. Alex Wetzig, SG of Foreign Policy of Chile paid a visit 2 @Eritrea_UN. Discussed @UN_HRC, its challenges, responsibilities & opportunities 4 States like Eritrea. Politicization of Human Rights, undermines Council's efficacy- compromises its credibility. UPR, best mechanism!
Amb. Sophia Tesfamariam: @AmbStesfamariam