Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
sarcasm

"Abiy’s new $1billion palace reminds me of Haile Selassie’s birthday cakes imported from Paris; both in times of famine"

Post by sarcasm » 22 May 2022, 08:25

(አንድሪው ዲኮርት የተባለ የቲዮሎጂ ፕሮፌሰር፣ እንዲህ አድርጎ ይነግረናል)
-
Abiy’s new $1billion palace reminds me of Haile Selassie’s birthday cakes imported from Paris — both in times of famine.
This new palace is estimated to cost 49billion birr. The public improvements in Addis Ababa — Unity Park, Meskel Square, Entoto, the Riverside project — were budgeted at around 29billion birr. So Abiy is budgeting almost twice as much for his private palace as he did for the entire public.

When leaders lose touch with reality, they inevitably lose control of power. Millions of people urgently need food, and yet Abiy is dreaming of luxury that will displace thousands of people.

But this is where prosperity ideology goes. Its detachment from reality isn’t seen as a mistake but a sign of authority and success. When you’re prosperous, you don’t respond to reality; you create your own.
Prosperity ideology is callous and glamorously cruel. Ethiopians hungry and thirsty for food, water, and justice deserve better.

“All this will be yours if you bow down and worship me.” Satan to Jesus (Luke 4:7).

https://www.facebook.com/eyob.mihreteab