Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Messele Zewdie Ejeta

Future, a Moment in Space, and Stationarity

Post by Messele Zewdie Ejeta » 18 May 2022, 16:18

When you imagine future as a moment in space, it may sound daunting at first thought. A simple way to think about it is that if one goes from point A to point B and then to point C, you have a construct of a line on which future falls. The linear construct makes future appear as if it doesn't go back to point A once it has reached at point B. It only appears to look forward to point C.

What if it happens naturally that there is orbital going back from point B to point A? I imagine that this thinking becomes clearer once we become aware of the understanding that Earth is the biggest known natural spaceship. Its movement is not linear. It is orbital. This natural spaceship goes back cyclically to roughly the same node in space. Its orbital movement has been characterized using Saros cycle. Understanding this cyclic orbital movement of the Earth in space, along with its Moon, makes the idea of a future as a moment in space easier to grasp.

A simple way for the layperson to understand how orbital movements work is understanding how geostationary satellites work when conversing instantaneously over telephones across continents. If I am not mistaken, it is an instance of Einstein's relativity theory that is now in common practice. Even though geostationary satellites orbit, they appear motionless to ground observers thereby making communications instantaneous.

The idea that future is a construct of a moment in space is what I have posited and presented as a proceeding paper back in 2015, seven years ago today, at an annual conference of the American Society of Civil Engineers in Austin, Texas. It is an emerging scientific thought that needs more research by more upcoming researchers. It is a new frontier that suggests that meteorological variability is predictable. Its caveat is that it doesn't take into account the other emerging frontiers of manmade geoengineering and cloud seeding.

I am convinced that this emerging frontier of research is likely to make a solid presence in the advancement of science. At the risk of self-reference, I think that more upcoming researchers would benefit from reviewing, evaluating, and advancing it as they see fit.

By the way, I have been asking myself for a long time now if it is possible that the word future comes from ፉልዱረ (ፉለ ዱረ።) It roughly means in front. The answer for it is better left to anthropologists. If it is possible, it will only make our construct of future even clearer. In addition, it is also possible that the root word for Sirius is ሶርሰ።