Post by Zmeselo » 05 May 2022, 09:42

እምባሕ: አናብስ::

This year's route

Bini already considered a contender, for the white jersey

Girmay intent on making history in Giro d’Italia

By Alasdair Fotheringham

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/girmay ... k-e55bR4AU

Published about 1 hour ago

Young Eritrean racing his first Grand Tour and 'first big stage race' of any kind

Biniam Girmay shows the latest sponsor for Intermarché, Vini Zabú, at Giro team presentation (Image credit: Getty Images Sport)

Superstar status in cycling is not always easy to assess. But perhaps one way of doing it emerged on Thursday in Budapest, when Loic Vliegen, a teammate of Biniam Girmay and his hotel roommate for the upcoming Giro d’Italia, was asked by media in a press conference what Netflix series the two will likely be watching in the evenings for the next three weeks. And it was a genuine question.

Girmay’s rapid rise to stardom was evident in many other ways in the half-hour Giro press conference, as he fielded the vast majority of the media enquiries - Netflix preferences apart - about what it meant to be racing his first Grand Tour at 22.

_______

Alasdair Fotheringham has been reporting on cycling since 1991. He has covered every Tour de France since 1992 bar one, as well as numerous other bike races of all shapes and sizes, ranging from the Olympic Games in 2008 to the now sadly defunct Subida a Urkiola hill climb in Spain. As well as working for Cyclingnews, he has also written for The Independent, The Guardian, ProCycling, The Express and Reuters.
Last edited by Zmeselo on 05 May 2022, 14:29, edited 3 times in total.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Re: The Giro, begins!

Post by Zmeselo » 05 May 2022, 09:58

As independence day is approaching, I'll post about some of the people who've given their lives for this nation. I'll begin with Martyr Fessaha Abraha Fikak, one of the architects of Pakistan's Karachi Airport operation in June 1969. At 23, he shook the Ethiopian empire

Ismail Moussa | እስማዒል ሙሳ | إسماعيل موسى: @imoussai

Last edited by Zmeselo on 05 May 2022, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 05 May 2022, 10:06

ማሕበረኮም ኤርትራዉያን ኣብ ካምፓላ ኡጋንዳ ዘዳለዎ ዋንጫ ናጽነት ብወግዒ ትማሊ 04/05/2022 ተኸፊቱ፡፡ ኣብ መኽፈቲ፡ ኩቡር ኣምባሳደር ኤርትራ ኣብ ኡጋንዳ ኣቶ መሓመድ ሱሌማን ተርኺቡ፡፡ ኣብቲ ናይ መጀመርያ ግጥም፡ ጋንታ ኣስመራ Vs ዋርሳይ 2 - 2 ተፈላልየን፡፡ Maebel kiflay - Alena Walta Hager

Must haves, in Asmara! Macchiato at Bar Vittoria & Millefoglie Pasticceria Giardino. 📸 ሄርmon Yeማne

Last edited by Zmeselo on 05 May 2022, 14:06, edited 2 times in total.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 05 May 2022, 14:04

Eritrea's senior delegation composed of Foreign Minister Osman Saleh, and Presidential Adviser Yemane Ghebreab, met today in Juba and delivered message from Pesident Isaias, to his South Sudanese counterpart, President Salva Kiir Mayardit.

In his message, President Isaias reaffirmed the historic bonds of solidarity between the peoples of Eritrea & South Sudan since the days of struggle of the people of South Sudan for self-determination.

Pre. Isaias stressed Eritrea's resolute support for indepedence & sovereignity of SS & its right to address its internal matter, free from external diktat. Pre. Salva Kiir thanked Eritrea for its unwavering, constructive position & briefed delegation on development in the country.

President Salva Kiir further stated that South Sudan was making progress towards peace, stability & development despite acute difficulties. The two sides also discussed regional developments and agreed to bolster bilateral and regional cooperation.
Yemane G. Meskel: @hawelti

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 05 May 2022, 14:14

:lol:

Meet Steve Walker, US diplomat in Eritrea. When he isn't 'Jesus passing through the grainfields', he trolls @hawelti (the Eritrean government Minister) about internal matters in the tradition of colonial missionaries interference in Africa.

Feven Yemane: @FevenYemaney

Last edited by Zmeselo on 05 May 2022, 14:40, edited 2 times in total.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 05 May 2022, 14:36

Update: H.E. Fawzia Hashim the Minister of Justice & her team hosted the OHCHR Regional Director for East Africa, Mr Marcel Akpovo and his team, for a full day of productive discussions on the justice sector.
UN Eritrea: @UNinEritrea

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 05 May 2022, 18:59

Giro d'Italia: Biniam Girmay's shot at Grand Tour history

By Matt Warwick

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/61339763

2 hours ago

Girmay became the first black African to win a World Tour race in March

Eritrean rider Biniam Girmay says it would be one of cycling's "best moments" when the first black African rider wins a Grand Tour stage.

Girmay, 22, makes his Grand Tour debut at Friday's Giro d'Italia Grand Partenza, where he is expected to challenge for the stage victory.

He became the first black African to win a World Tour race at Belgium's Gent-Wevelgem classic in March.
It's going to be, I think, the best moment ever,
he said.
It's a dream of all African cyclists to win in a Grand Tour, especially the Tour [de France] or Giro. A black rider has never won a Grand Tour stage.
Girmay, who rides for the Belgian Intermarche-Wanty-Gobert team, took a shock victory at Gent Wevelgem when he sprinted early for the line, beating established one-day classics riders, such as Jasper Stuyven of Trek-Segafredo.

The first stage of the three-week Giro begins in the Hungarian capital Budapest, before returning to Italy from stage four.

The stage's 195km run to Visgrad is relatively flat, but ends with a category four climb in the final few kilometres, which is expected to suit Girmay.

And Girmay could even wear the famous race's pink leader's jersey if he wins the stage.
For me [in my career], I need to win a Monument [one-day race],
Girmay said.
But even also a Grand Tour [stage] is always in my dream. From tomorrow it's my dream to win one Grand Tour stage.

The first Giro stage, is not so easy for a bunch sprint. But from my side it's going to be good.
Following his victory in Belgium, he returned to the Eritrean capital Asmara and spent four hours being greeted by several thousand fans waving flags and following him through the city.
For me I was really surprised, I didn't expect so many fans - it's amazing, you know,
he said.