Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Pictorial: 16th YPFDJ Europe Conference - 14th to 18th April 2022, Rome (Italy)

Post by Zmeselo » 16 Apr 2022, 10:10

መበል 16ተ ዋዕላ መንእሰያት ህግደፍ YPFDJ ኣብ ኢጣልያ ብዙሓት መንእሰያት ዝካፈልዎ ዘሎዉ ኾይኑ፥ ብዓቢ ፍናንን ሃገራዊ ፍቕርን ይካየድ ኣሎ።

Biniam Berhe, Permanent Mission to AU & UNECA - 16th YPFDJ Euro Conference in Italy 2022

Rahel Weldeab, Biniam Berhe, Michael Hagos, Hizbawi Mengisteab and Simon Tesfamariam. Hats off, to our presenters #EritreaPrevails!
Last edited by Zmeselo on 16 Apr 2022, 17:31, edited 7 times in total.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Re: Pictorial: 16th YPFDJ Europe Conference - 14th to 18th April 2022, Rome (Italy)

Post by Zmeselo » 16 Apr 2022, 10:36

🇪🇷 Eritrean Athletes Amanuel Mesel and Tsegay Tuemay, will participate in the Boston Marathon 2022 (18 April). #ENAF @biniamb

“If We, all Artists, Work in Unity, our Country’s Melodies Would be Known Worldwide,” Salem

By Luwam Kahsay H.

https://shabait.com/2022/04/16/if-we-al ... eaPrevails

Q & A

Apr 16, 2022

Our guest today is Salem Goitom, an aspiring young artist craving for the highest achievement in all her work. Though young, she shoulders big responsibilities as a teacher, singer and mother; which all require working hard with dedication.

What got you into art?

I would say, I got into art mainly due to my talent discovered at different occasions. I first discovered I had the talent, when I was in 11th grade singing to boost the morale of my soccer team. I got invited by Hareg Cultural Group at Keih Bahri Secondary School, where I sang “Eti gezana” by Teberih Tesfahuney (a legendary Eritrean singer). Then I went to Sawa for my national service and won, as the star at the National Youth Festival of the 26th round. Then, I went to college.

How many artistic works have you produced?

I have so far released two songs, and one is on the way. But all in all I have produced ten, including soundtracks. But it was my singing of one of Tsehaytu Beraki’s songs, that got me well recognized.

Tell us your school life.

I did my elementary schooling, at Dahlak Elementary and then went to Natsenet Junior Secondary School. After attending Keyhbahri High School, I went to Sawa as a member of the 26th round. I joined the College of Arts and Social Sciences at Adikeyh and earned a diploma in Fine Art, with a good grade.

Did your upbringing influence you to be involved in art?

Surprisingly, not at all. But my neighborhood, Kagnew, did influence me a lot because most of my neighbors were somehow involved in art. I believe it was my talent that got me into art, in addition to my parents’ support. My parents are very well acquainted with art, particularly my dad. He has a good taste for poems and always gives me his opinion regarding my work. And so does my mom.

Were you able to maintain a balance between school work and art in college?

The moment I joined college I was accepted in a well talented family of youngsters, who had a big interest in art and academic work. In those days most of the college activities involved art such as drama, poetry, songs and dances. I experienced art, in my daily life. What helped me most with maintaining a balance between school and art, was time management. Most students knew what to do and when to do it. For instance, activities related to art were usually held after dinner. College life, was more like living in a helpful family in every aspect. That’s why, it was not difficult for me.

After graduating from college, you were assigned to work as a teacher. Did this create any obstacle for you, to start singing as a career?

At the beginning, as with most youngsters, it was hard because teaching is a demanding job and gives you the responsibility of looking after students and their needs. But with the help of experienced teachers at Awet Elementary and Junior Secondary School, I was able to manage my time.

How do you manage as a mom?

I have two kids — a five-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy. To be honest, it is very difficult. I had to go to school, leaving my six-month daughter home. I then would use any time I could find at work, to go back home to breastfeed her and go back to work again. I was always running. The good thing, though, is my parents have always been by my side. Their presence in my life was and is crucial.

The reaction of your students as an artist…

I can say I have two personalities, one as a teacher and another as an artist. Initially, I began as a teacher but when I started appearing on the media; not only my students but also my supervisors were surprised. I handle myself very professionally at school, as a teacher. I do that, because I have to. I want to be an example for my students. I want them to understand that no matter how valuable a career is, it means nothing without education.

How do your students’ parents feel about you?

No one necessarily starts as a professional in his or her career. You get to that stage by learning from and correcting your mistakes. And a teacher learns all the time while teaching, personally and professionally.

Parents entrust us with their children and their feedback is very important for teachers. Parents of my children are very appreciative of what I do, and I believe that is because I try to do my job by treating my students like my siblings.

What do you do for your career development?

I love reading. I read different types of books, including those related to my profession. To take care of my voice, I always do warm ups. I pay attention in choosing poems and rhythms by using helpful references, as I desire to make our nine ethnic group melody known worldwide. I enroll in courses offered by associations, such as the National Union of Eritrean Youth and Students. Believing that I know nothing, helps me to use every opportunity to learn.

Your message to beginners in art.

I suggest, they use every opportunity they find to learn. They should yearn for education, that could help them improve.

Your future plans …

From the many plans I have, I would like to get a vocal scholarship and release four or five songs of my own instead of one in a year. I want to work for the melodies of all nine Eritrean ethnic groups, to be known internationally. I am sure if we, all artists, work in unity, our country’s melodies would be known worldwide like others.

Thank you, for your time.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Re: Pictorial: 16th YPFDJ Europe Conference - 14th to 18th April 2022, Rome (Italy)

Post by Zmeselo » 16 Apr 2022, 14:05

Presentation on the Oral Tradition in Tigre Language

By Simon Weldemichael

https://shabait.com/2022/04/16/presenta ... eaPrevails

HISTORY & CULTURE

Apr 16, 2022

The Afar proverb which says ‘Intikuficintooy, aytiku-abbahficinto’ meaning “the ear is as old as the past”, puts it succinctly. The marvel of oral tradition is that messages from the past continue to exist, as long as they are told.

On March 31st last month, the National Union of Eritrean Youth and Students hosted a presentation on the oral tradition of the Tigre language in its weekly program at the Junior Club. The presentation was given by Staz Mohammed Said Osman, a former student of the Revolution School, and, currently Unit Heat at the Eritrean Commission of Culture and Sports. Staz Mohammed, has an avid interest in research on oral tradition.

Eritrea has nine ethnic groups who are distinguished by their own languages and ways of life, but united by a common history and destiny. In his presentation, Staz Mohammed underlined that oral traditions are documents of the present because they are told in the present. Simultaneously, oral traditions embody messages from the past and are expressions of the past as well. Oral poetry is introduced to a Tigre child (this is also broadly the case in other language groups) in the early ages of infancy, when mothers cuddle and recite poems to infants and toddlers.

Oral tradition is part and parcel of the intangible cultural heritage, conveyed from generation to generation through words of mouth and is also called a living culture. In this connection, Staz Mohammed highlighted the significance of oral tradition in the livelihood of the people. During the entire presentation, Staz Mohammed, who is proficient in several Eritrean languages, used proverbs of Tigre and Tigrigna languages to express the ideas he intended to communicate to the audience.

The Tigre ethnic group is known for its rich treasury of oral tradition that expresses many aspects of life in the society; including marriage, death, pilgrimage, customary laws, resistance, childhood, pregnancy, birth, circumcision, New Year, seasons, traditional medicine, religious traditions, and rite of passage. Staz Mohammed Said Osman said that in Tigre language, there are poems for everything; even for lice. The oral poetry for lice that caused laughter among the audience, run as follows:

ኢወጊእ ወኢረግዝ ዶላ ርምታተቱ

እትሚ ስካብ ከለአነ ሕድት ላተ ሒለቱ?!

Although lice has no horn to pierce nor tooth to bite, no one is able to sleep while it sucks one’s blood

Powerless as it may be, it challenges the powerful.

Here is another popular oral poetry, of a poor guy falling in love with a fortunate and beautiful girl:

በለም-በርቅ አፉሃ፡ ክልኤ ደብነ ፈናቴ

ክም ኡቡያም ንትማሰል፡ ክም ትማጻእና ንትፋቴ

አባዬ ወአባይኪ፡ ዐዱ በንበን ልትኣቴ

ክም ምራዱ ኢረክብ፡ ማሉ ላቱ ሕንካቴ።

Her toothcomb looks like lightning

But we remain apart in spite of love

A poor guy can’t find his desire

How can I see her family?

In Tigre, there are many traditional platforms for the conduct of oral tradition such as hakakito, mim, reb’at, Tieno, hebo, zar, kunbob, tltel, tiernie,knbob, hlay Asyad & so on. Tiernie is a conversation, often awkward, between a bride and the bridegroom at the first night of their encounter. This conversation is conducted, to attest the wisdom and patience of the woman. The man tries everything he can, to undermine her patience. For instance, one bridegroom tells his bride:
Let’s see the left-over of the youth of our village
to scornfully imply that
she had premarital intercourse’
that was regarded as indecent or immoral in prevalent societal norms.

Keenly aware of the subtle insinuations of her groom, the bride responds soberly:
You cannot reverse what is gone; neither can you finish the ample endowment that is still left.

Staz Mohammed paid tribute, to important personalities known in Tigre for their contribution to art. They include Omer Ibrahim, Idris Ibrahim Amir (wedi Amir), Abe Abdela, Hamid Abdela, Osman Idris Wuela, Mohammed Ali Qulbab, ZeinebYasin, Idris kemajela, Osman Ali and Mesmer Isa.

Oral literature, is the verbal art of an essentially non-literate community. It is composed in the presence of an audience, for its entertainment and edification. Oral poetry, one genre of oral literature, is used in the Tigre ethnic group as a medium of instruction. Patriot Zeineb Yassin, a famous poet and orator, is one of the great Eritrean women who fought in the struggle for independence. When she one day saw freedom fighters running to a battle field, she felt obligated to accompany them. Unable to cope with them due to her old age, patriot Zeineb Yassin resorted to expressing her feelings through a poem in Tigre. Here is its rough translation:

What can I do to this frail body

Unable to join with the fighting army

Not assigned with the public authority

My sprit can bestow liberty to Eritrea

The fire inside me can roast a meat

Tired of age, my body crumbled

Staz Mohammed, gave examples of the cultural and linguistic diversity and interconnectivity of the Eritrean people. There are a lot of commonalities in the various ethnic groups of Eritrea. Staz Mohammed gave proverbs, riddles, songs, oral poetry, folktales, legends, and myths widely used among the Tigre people that create a wealth of wisdom to solve complicated problems. He added that oral tradition, which is transmitted from the elders to the young while people gather to enjoy a coffee ceremony or on other occasions, is an integral element in the construction of national consciousness. The customs, tales, music, dances, and rituals enrich the social bonds within a community and help build group identity. In this sense, the oral tradition of the Eritrean society helps to keep intact not only the present society but also the future.

When people lose the fragile fragment of their culture they lose their reason for existence; their past and their future. Due to its strong dependence on languages, oral tradition can survive only if the rich lexicon that makes the narration attractive is still intact. In explaining the significance of oral tradition in maintaining the culture and identity of a people, Staz Mohammed noted that a society that has lost its oral tradition loses its language and by extension its culture. He emphasized, that accurate use and full comprehension of a language are indispensable for an oral heritage is to be correctly transmitted. The speaker and the listener, should indeed know the words and their diverse meanings.

Story-telling, one of the oldest means of communication in human history, is very common in the Tigre ethnic group. The elders in Tigre have unparalleled skill of transmitting historical events, traditions and social norms to future generations by using compelling stories.

Staz Mohamed Said recited many widely used Tigre songs that praise or criticize certain conduct, as a means of inculcating societal ideals. In the Tigre language group, men and women, young and old, are permitted to sing in praise of someone’s spectacular achievements or to criticize and condemn someone’s socially reprehensible behavior. They compose the songs, by incorporating the historical circumstances surrounding the events. In this way, the songs of praise or condemnation serve as a medium of preserving historical records. Satirical songs, are meant to prevent others from emulating the actions of the deviants and teach the people to follow the socially acceptable behavior.

We are what we are today and what we will be in the future, partly because our history has been passed from generation to generation. In this regard, Staz Mohamed underscored the need and urgency of documenting our rich and diverse oral traditions for a comprehensive study of culture, art and history of the Eritrean people. As a modest contribution in this collective endeavor, he is writing a book on our heritage that will be published soon.

Staz Mohammed is an energetic researcher of culture; an author, poet, and a film script writer. He has so far written a children’s book about the oral tradition of Tigre ethnic group and another book of a collection of poems. He has also translated from Tigrigna to Tigre several books on Eritrean history, published in the past by Hidri Publishers.

Honoured to join H.E. Amb Cai Ge & Acting Min of Educ H.E. Pedro Hailemariam in commemorating International Day of the Chinese Language, a day established by the UN to celebrate multilingualism, cultural diversity & to promote equal use of all its official working languages.

It was also such a pleasure to join with other partners - the #ConfuciusInstitute, the National Higher Education & Research Institute, the Commission of Sports & Culture the National Museum of Eritrea. A visit to the museum is a must! #culturaldiversity #People2People
Ama Sande: @AmaSande
Last edited by Zmeselo on 16 Apr 2022, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 16 Apr 2022, 14:15

Qohaito 📸 Herbert Graf

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 16 Apr 2022, 17:42

Eritrean electrical- engineer & rocket scientist, at the YPFDJ Conference:

Fed_Up
Senior Member+

Post by Fed_Up » 17 Apr 2022, 01:38

ናይ ከደምቲ አጋመ ፈራእራእ ዘተንፈሰ ዋርሳይ.... ንኺድ ጥራይ ደቂ ኤረይ::

eden
Member+

Post by eden » 16 May 2022, 20:06

Zmeselo wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 17:42
እንደ ለበሰው ነጭ ልብስ ውስጡም የነጣ ስተትን በስተት ሳይሆን በይቅርታ የሚያድስ ዘላቂ መፍትሔ የሚያስብ የራሱን ሀገር ብቻ ጥቅም ሳይሆን ወንድም ህዝብና ሀገርን ኢትዮጵያን የሚረዳ የውነት ሰው ፕ/ኢሳያስ አፈወርቂ ነው የውነት ሰው እውነተኛ መሪ ።
lol