Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
TesfaNews
Member+

[HISTORY] Eritrean King of Adulis Story of Military Conquest into Abysinnia in 300BC(Tigray Amhara Beja Agaw Arabs)

Post by TesfaNews » 27 Mar 2022, 13:28

The campaigns were originally documented on a throne at Adulis in the 3rd century but it only survives in the 6th century copy by Cosmas but this again is preserved in a 8th-10th century manuscripts.

The below is the inscription about the campaigns and source is “Aksum: An African Civilisation of Late Antiquity".

". . . and after I had commanded the peoples near my country to maintain the peace, I entered valiantly into battle and subdued the following peoples; I fought the Gaze, then the Agame and the Siguene, and, having conquered, I reserved for myself half of their lands and their peoples. The Aua and Singabene and Aggabe and Tiamaa and Athagaous (meaning Agaw) and Kalaa and the Samene (Semien Mountian People) people who live beyond the Nile in inaccessible mountains covered with snow where tempests and cold are continuous and the snow so deep that a man sinks up to the knees,

Photo of Semien Mountian Snow.

I reduced to submission after having crossed the river; then the Lasine, and Zaa and Gabala, who inhabit very steep mountains where hot springs rise and flow; and the Atalmo and the Beja and all the people who erect their tents with them. Having defeated the Taggaiton who dwell up to the frontiers of Egypt I had a road constructed going from the lands of my empire to Egypt.

"Then I fought the Annine and the Metine who live on precipitous mountains as well as the people of Sesea. They took refuge on an inaccessible peak, but I besieged them on all sides and captured them, and chose among them young men and women, boys and virgins. I retained also their goods.

"I defeated also the barbarian people of Rauso who live by the aromatics trade, in immense plains without water, and the Solate, whom I also defeated, imposing on them the task of guarding the sea-lanes.

"After I had vanquished and conquered, in battles wherein I personally took part, all these peoples so well protected by their impenetrable mountains, I restricted myself to imposing tribute on them and voluntarily returning their lands. But most peoples submitted of their own free will and paid me tribute.

"I sent an expedition by sea and land against the peoples living on the other side of the Erythraean Sea, that is the Arabitas and the Kinaidokolpitas, and after subjugating their kings I commanded them to pay me tribute and charged them with guaranteeing the security of communications on land and sea. I conducted war from Leuke Kome to the land of the Sabaeans.

"I am the first and only of the kings my predecessors to have subdued all these peoples by the grace given me by my mighty god Ares, who also engendered me. It is through him that I have submitted to my power all the peoples neighbouring my empire, in the east to the Land of Aromatics, to the west to the land of Ethiopia and the Sasou; some I fought myself, against others I sent my armies.

"When I had re-established peace in the world which is subject to me I came to Adulis to sacrifice for the safety of those who navigate on the sea, to Zeus, Ares and Poseidon. After uniting and reassembling my armies I set up here this throne and consecrated it to Ares, in the twenty-seventh year of my reign."

About some of the names in the text, the same source says,

The 8th to 10th century manuscripts in which this inscription is preserved have some explanatory glosses about some of these names; thus Gaze apparently means the Aksumites, still called Agaze, the Siguene are the Suskinitai, the tribes near Adulis are called the Tigretes (the earliest mention of Tigray?), the Tiamaa are the Tziamo and Gambela, the Atalmo and Beja are the Blemmyes, the Taggaitai (Tangaitai) are also called Attabite.. and Adra..s, the Sesea are tribes of Barbaria, the Solate are those living by the sea in Barbaria, called the Tigretai of the coast in Barbaria, and Sasou is the furthest part of Ethiopia, beyond which lies the ocean and the Barbareotes who traffic in incense.
Edit: Cosmas though the King was Ptolemy of Egypt but in truth it was an Adulite.
Last edited by TesfaNews on 27 Mar 2022, 13:49, edited 2 times in total.

TesfaNews
Member+

Re: [HISTORY] Eritrean King of Adulis Story of Military Conquest into Abysinnia (Tigray Amhara Beja Agaw Arabs)

Post by TesfaNews » 27 Mar 2022, 13:49

Snow ❄️ in Semien Mountians in 300 BC was over 20 Inches! Today Semien Mountians can only get a maximum of 1-2 Inches of Snow

Axumezana

Re: HISTORY Eritrean Bahre Kingdom of Adulis Story of Military Conquest of Abysinnia (Tigray Amhara)

Post by Axumezana » 27 Mar 2022, 15:01

Do not waste your time to create forged and poached history!

(1) The Erythraean Sea and Italy colony Eritrea

The Erythraean Sea (Greek: Ἐρυθρὰ Θάλασσα, Erythrà Thálassa, lit. "Red Sea") was a former maritime designation that always included the Gulf of Aden and at times other seas between Arabia Felix and the Horn of Africa. Originally an ancient Greek geographical designation, it was used throughout Europe until the 18-19th century. At times the name frequently extended beyond the Gulf of Aden—as in the famous 1st-century Periplus of the Erythraean Sea—to include the present-day Red Sea,Oman sea, Arabian Sea, Persian Gulf, and Indian Ocean as a single maritime area.[1].
It looks the Italians coined a similar to name their new colony in the Horn of Africa in the 19th century , but the two are not related.

(2) The King visited Adulis but was not living in Adulis
The following paragraph reveals the King came to Adulis for a short trip with the objective of" to sacrifice for the safety of those who navigate on the sea, to Zeus, Ares and Poseidon". It means Adulis was not a capital city but a sea port.

The following extract from the same book also confirms that Axum was the capital city not Adulis.

"The Aksumite period in Northern Ethiopia covers some six or seven centuries from
around the beginning of our era, and was ancestral to the rather better known mediaeval
Ethiopian kingdoms, successively based further south in Lasta and Shewa. The Semiticspeaking people called Aksumites or Habash (Abyssinians), centred at their capital city
Aksum (Ch. 5) in the western part of the province of Tigray, from there came to control
both the highland and coastal regions of northern Ethiopia. They were able to exploit a
series of favourable situations, some of which we can only guess at at this stage, to
become the dominant power group in the region and to develop their very characteristic
civilisation in an area now represented by the province of Tigray, with Eritrea to the north
where they gained access to the Red Sea coast at the port of Adulis (Ch. 3: 2). "

"When I had re-established peace in the world which is subject to me I came to Adulis to sacrifice for the safety of those who navigate on the sea, to Zeus, Ares and Poseidon. After uniting and reassembling my armies I set up here this throne and consecrated it to Ares, in the twenty-seventh year of my reign."

(3) The throne that was built in Adulis.

It has been customary to the Axumite kings to build thrones far from their capital city( Axumite King thrones were found in the present day Sudan). The mentioned throne was constructed in Adulis to celebrate his 27th year anniversary was "I set up here this throne and consecrated it to Ares, in the twenty-seventh year of my reign."

(4) Content of the write up and mentioned god, and the time it was written reveals the King is King Ezana of Axum or his predecessors

- The following also reveals the king is either King Ezana of Axum( who was king at the end of 3rd century and begining of 4th century, the Axum book mentions) or his predecessor( similar sentences are used in the stone inscription still standing in Axum)

"I am the first and only of the kings my predecessors to have subdued all these peoples by the grace given me by my mighty god Ares"

(5) Article poached from book of Axum

You poached this article from a book written by historians for Axum

(6) Identity crises syndrome

People with identity crises syndrome try to forge and poach history and you are doing same. The solution is to be healed from the illness of "identity crises syndrome".

Right

Re: [HISTORY] Eritrean King of Adulis Story of Military Conquest into Abysinnia in 300BC(Tigray Amhara Beja Agaw Arabs)

Post by Right » 27 Mar 2022, 15:24

I$$diot,
There is no such thing called Eritrea then. Eritrea was a town during the Roman Empire in Europe. Italian invaders gave that name to the northern tip of Ethiopia. This northern tip of land doesn’t include the Afar land on the shores of Red Sea. Eritrea is an isolated land locked country.
That is the fact.

TesfaNews
Member+

Re: [HISTORY] Eritrean King of Adulis Story of Military Conquest into Abysinnia in 300BC(Tigray Amhara Beja Agaw Arabs)

Post by TesfaNews » 28 May 2023, 18:00

Right wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 15:24
I$$diot,
There is no such thing called Eritrea then. Eritrea was a town during the Roman Empire in Europe. Italian invaders gave that name to the northern tip of Ethiopia. This northern tip of land doesn’t include the Afar land on the shores of Red Sea. Eritrea is an isolated land locked country.
That is the fact.

Where was Ethiopia then? where was Tigray? :lol:

Axumezana

Post by Axumezana » 28 May 2023, 18:08

TesfaNews wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 13:28

The campaigns were originally documented on a throne at Adulis in the 3rd century but it only survives in the 6th century copy by Cosmas but this again is preserved in a 8th-10th century manuscripts.

The below is the inscription about the campaigns and source is “Aksum: An African Civilisation of Late Antiquity".

". . . and after I had commanded the peoples near my country to maintain the peace, I entered valiantly into battle and subdued the following peoples; I fought the Gaze, then the Agame and the Siguene, and, having conquered, I reserved for myself half of their lands and their peoples. The Aua and Singabene and Aggabe and Tiamaa and Athagaous (meaning Agaw) and Kalaa and the Samene (Semien Mountian People) people who live beyond the Nile in inaccessible mountains covered with snow where tempests and cold are continuous and the snow so deep that a man sinks up to the knees,

Photo of Semien Mountian Snow.

I reduced to submission after having crossed the river; then the Lasine, and Zaa and Gabala, who inhabit very steep mountains where hot springs rise and flow; and the Atalmo and the Beja and all the people who erect their tents with them. Having defeated the Taggaiton who dwell up to the frontiers of Egypt I had a road constructed going from the lands of my empire to Egypt.

"Then I fought the Annine and the Metine who live on precipitous mountains as well as the people of Sesea. They took refuge on an inaccessible peak, but I besieged them on all sides and captured them, and chose among them young men and women, boys and virgins. I retained also their goods.

"I defeated also the barbarian people of Rauso who live by the aromatics trade, in immense plains without water, and the Solate, whom I also defeated, imposing on them the task of guarding the sea-lanes.

"After I had vanquished and conquered, in battles wherein I personally took part, all these peoples so well protected by their impenetrable mountains, I restricted myself to imposing tribute on them and voluntarily returning their lands. But most peoples submitted of their own free will and paid me tribute.

"I sent an expedition by sea and land against the peoples living on the other side of the Erythraean Sea, that is the Arabitas and the Kinaidokolpitas, and after subjugating their kings I commanded them to pay me tribute and charged them with guaranteeing the security of communications on land and sea. I conducted war from Leuke Kome to the land of the Sabaeans.

"I am the first and only of the kings my predecessors to have subdued all these peoples by the grace given me by my mighty god Ares, who also engendered me. It is through him that I have submitted to my power all the peoples neighbouring my empire, in the east to the Land of Aromatics, to the west to the land of Ethiopia and the Sasou; some I fought myself, against others I sent my armies.

About some of the names in the text, the same source says,

The 8th to 10th century manuscripts in which this inscription is preserved have some explanatory glosses about some of these names; thus Gaze apparently means the Aksumites, still called Agaze, the Siguene are the Suskinitai, the tribes near Adulis are called the Tigretes (the earliest mention of Tigray?), the Tiamaa are the Tziamo and Gambela, the Atalmo and Beja are the Blemmyes, the Taggaitai (Tangaitai) are also called Attabite.. and Adra..s, the Sesea are tribes of Barbaria, the Solate are those living by the sea in Barbaria, called the Tigretai of the coast in Barbaria, and Sasou is the furthest part of Ethiopia, beyond which lies the ocean and the Barbareotes who traffic in incense.
Edit: Cosmas though the King was Ptolemy of Egypt but in truth it was an Adulite.