Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
AbyssiniaLady
Member+

The brutal dictatorship the world keeps ignoring

Post by AbyssiniaLady » 07 Dec 2021, 16:10

The brutal dictatorship the world keeps ignoring

This article is more than 1 year old

A drawing provided to the U.N. by an Eritrean torture survivor.

On Monday, the United Nations released the results of a year-long investigation into human rights in Eritrea. What it found was horrific. Detailing "systematic, widespread and gross human rights violations," the U.N. commission of inquiry argued that Eritrea was operating a totalitarian government with no accountability and no rule of law.

"The commission also finds that the violations in the areas of extrajudicial executions, torture (including sexual torture), national service and forced labor may constitute crimes against humanity," the report said.

However, it appears the report failed to produce any mainstream outrage. Unlike similar U.N. reports on alleged crimes against humanity in North Korea, or online criticism of human rights abuses in places such as Saudi Arabia or Qatar, the horrific accusations against Eritrea didn't produce a viral outcry.

Why not? It certainly doesn't seem to be because of the severity of the accusations. Crimes against humanity are pretty much as serious as you can get, and it's hard to read the United Nations' full report and not be shocked.

It's hard to imagine now, but hopes were initially high for Eritrea in 1993 after it gained independence from Ethiopia after 30 years of civil war. Since then, however, President Isaias Afwerki has clamped down and allowed no room for an opposition. The U.N. report described a Stasi-like police state that leaves Eritreans in constant fear that they are being monitored.

“When I am in Eritrea, I feel that I cannot even think because I am afraid that people can read my thoughts and I am scared," one witness told the U.N. inquiry.

The whole article
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... s-ignoring

Fiyameta

Re: The brutal dictatorship the world keeps ignoring

Post by Fiyameta » 07 Dec 2021, 16:19

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: