Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
sarcasm

An ethnic Tigrayan Professor, at Bahirdar University , Meareg Amare, has been gunned down by Amhara police

Post by sarcasm » 06 Nov 2021, 14:52

An ethnic #Tigray|an @BDUEduEt chemistry Professor, Meareg Amare, has been gunned down and killed by #Amhara nationalists. Two ethnic Tigrayan @WolloUniversity lecturers, Birhanu Gidey and Haile Habenyom, were also killed in October.

Abere

Re: An ethnic Tigrayan Professor, at Bahirdar University , Meareg Amare, has been gunned down by Amhara police

Post by Abere » 06 Nov 2021, 15:57

Was he an active shooter? or refuse to surrender possessing military communication device, gun, or any dangerous weapon? Or refused to be searched on suspicion of possession of illegal arms? I am pretty certain, no Amhara would execute another fellow human being. This is a propaganda stunt by TPLF thugs themselves. So, let's not assist, enable or ally with TPLF so that we don't risk our lives and the lives of other innocents. Enabling or aiding terrorist genocidal TPLF is a heinous crime. By not cooperating with TPLF save yourself, your family and other innocent Ethiopians.

Wedi
Member+

Re: An ethnic Tigrayan Professor, at Bahirdar University , Meareg Amare, has been gunned down by Amhara police

Post by Wedi » 06 Nov 2021, 16:02

Abere wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 15:57
Was he an active shooter? or refuse to surrender possessing military communication device, gun, or any dangerous weapon? Or refused to be searched on suspicion of possession of illegal arms? I am pretty certain, no Amhara would execute another fellow human being. This is a propaganda stunt by TPLF thugs themselves. So, let's not assist, enable or ally with TPLF so that we don't risk our lives and the lives of other innocents. Enabling or aiding terrorist genocidal TPLF is a heinous crime. By not cooperating with TPLF save yourself, your family and other innocent Ethiopians.
Abere , no he died with COVID 19 issues. 8)

sarcasm, You are trying to twist the truth about his death. I live in Bahir Dar and I know this man. This man was infected with COVID 19 few days ago and died because of COVID 19 complications! :P :P

ethioscience

Post by ethioscience » 06 Nov 2021, 16:08

Thanks for sharing the Good News!!!!! Only dead Agame is good Agame!!

Greetings from Kobo!!

Abere

Post by Abere » 06 Nov 2021, 16:21

Wedi,

Thanks for the information about his cause of death. I trust you, he died of natural cause. Lie is intrinsic culture of most Tiges this days. Bahir Dar is the city of the civilized. It is not the sin city of Mekelle. The monastic city of Bahir Dar wages Holly war if an army of Satan from the sin city of Mekelle dears to touch her. That is it.

Wedi wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 16:02

sarcasm, You are trying to twist the truth about his death. I live in Bahir Dar and I know this man. This man was infected with COVID 19 few days ago and died because of COVID 19 complications! :P :P

sarcasm

Post by sarcasm » 21 Dec 2022, 09:11

Wedi wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 16:02
Abere wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 15:57

sarcasm, You are trying to twist the truth about his death. I live in Bahir Dar and I know this man. This man was infected with COVID 19 few days ago and died because of COVID 19 complications![/color] :P :P

It wasn't Covid! The truth is coming out . . . .

"Meareg Amare Abrha, was a well-known chemistry professor and member of the Tigrayan ethnic group. He was murdered on Nov. 3, 2021, when a group of men followed him from the university on motor bikes and shot him twice in front of his home,"

Analysis: How killing of Ethiopian professor unfolded, led to $2bn lawsuit against Meta
DECEMBER 20, 2022

Professor Meareg Amare Abraha

Addis Abeba – Meareg Amare Abreha, 60, a father of four children, and a full-time Professor of Analytical Chemistry at Bahir Dar University, was shot dead in front of his residence around midday on 02 November 2021 in Bahir Dar, the capital of Ethiopia’s Amhara regional state; he was left on the scene for hours before the perpetrators allowed the city municipal service to pick his body.

The professor’s murder came after two Facebook posts of defamation and death threats from a page identified as “BDU STAFF” that had 50k followers at the time, his son, Abrham Meareg told Addis Standard magazine for a story of its November print publication.

Abrham is one of the plaintiffs in a new $2bn (£1.6bn) lawsuit filed against Facebook’s parent company, Meta, which was fielded last week at a High Court in Nairobi, Kenya. The case is supported by non-profit campaign group, Foxglove, which says there is a reasonable certainty that lack of prompt measure from Facebook has changed the fate of the life of professor Meareg.

“We firmly believe that had the posts been taken down immediately, or caught by a filter and taken down, the Professor would still be alive,” Rosa Curling, Director at the Foxglove, told Addis Standard.

According to the director, the posts that incited the murder of Prof. Meareg Amare Abrha stayed up for weeks after his son reported them – one of them stayed up for over a year and was still up as late as last week.

The lawsuit establishes the connection of algorithmic functions that favors fanning viral contents giving nonequivalent emphasis of care to avert their repercussions.

“Sadly, ‘engaging’ posts are often violent or shocking, because people react to them, share them, comment on them. All those reactions mean the Facebook algorithm promotes the post more, and can make hate posts and violence go viral, and spread even further. This is why we say that Facebook is deadly by design,” Rosa said.

Abrham, alongside other petitioners in the lawsuit, demands the court to order Facebook to halt promoting viral hate; start demoting violent incitement similar to the immediate steps it took after the US Capitol riots of 06 January 2021; as well as employ enough content moderators to address content moderation in a range of languages; apologize for the professor’s death, and create a restitution fund to be assessed by the court for victims of hate and violence incited on Facebook; petitioners demand a total of $2.4 billion for harm from posts, and sponsored posts.

But who was professor Meareg and how did his killing unfold?

Continue reading https://addisstandard.com/analysis-how- ... inst-meta/

https://addisstandard.com/analysis-how- ... inst-meta/

Noble Amhara

Post by Noble Amhara » 21 Dec 2022, 09:18

So what is your opinion on this?

This is what Tigrayan Nationalists did to Wollo Univeristy

Misraq

Post by Misraq » 21 Dec 2022, 12:33

Sarcasm a.k.a Axumezana

If i was the leader of amhara region, i will send every agame to his/her promise land with full retirement package so that they won't come again. My question to you is that why do you agames live amongst the people you call eternal enemies? The task to send million agames from the cities of Amhara will sure come one day and i long for that. agames are #1 enemy for amhara

sarcasm

Post by sarcasm » 21 Dec 2022, 16:26

Misraq wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 12:33
Sarcasm a.k.a Axumezana

If i was the leader of amhara region, i will send every agame to his/her promise land with full retirement package so that they won't come again. My question to you is that why do you agames live amongst the people you call eternal enemies? The task to send million agames from the cities of Amhara will sure come one day and i long for that. agames are #1 enemy for amhara
Guys like you are killing civilians in Western Tigray, Metekel, Semien Shoa, Welega etc etc. No people is an enemy of any people. Inter-Ethiopian and Ethiopian/Eritrean conflicts are conflicts / power struggles between political class/es.

You couldn't play politics with politicians. Your army couldn't fight other armies. The only thing you are capable is murdering, harassing and displacing civilians everywhere you go. 'Play' politics with politicians. Get your army do what professional armies do lawfully. Leave the civilians in Tigray, Amhara, Oromia and BG alone. If you can't do that, step aside and let capable politicians come forward.

Didn't Agegnehu Teshager say "this people is the enemy of every people"? Did it help him win anything politically? No. He's booked himself a place on future ICC trials though. And of course, he made life hell for poor civilians. Out of all people, you are copying Agegnehu Teshager! Shame on you.

Noble Amhara

Post by Noble Amhara » 21 Dec 2022, 16:45

sarcasm

why are you denying the fact since 1990 amhara civilians have been getting killed in Metekel and Welkait by your TPLF and AGAME fckkrs so you better shut up you are the instigator

and Semien Shoua? you mean ataye and shoa robit the towns set on fire by ola terrorists who operate in the oromia zone in amhara which belongs to amhara argoba afar ppl?

it is amhara who is the victim now rising up

when amhara repels your terrorist groups you cry genocide so be it

sarcasm

Post by sarcasm » 06 Feb 2023, 20:09

An excellent 10 minute report in Danish and English on the murder of Prof. Meareg (BDU) and the role of Facebook on DR (Danish public broadcaster), 5 February 2023.

https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/udvalgt-fra-2 ... rig_367801

Yimer

Post by Yimer » 06 Feb 2023, 20:32

sarcasm wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 20:09
An excellent 10 minute report in Danish and English on the murder of Prof. Meareg (BDU) and the role of Facebook on DR (Danish public broadcaster), 5 February 2023.

Sarcasm aka eden,

Is this Meareg guy a graduate of Dedebit university? Why don’t I see any journal article by this fake professor?

I see your hate in every post you share/write here. Your hate is limitless towards Amhara farmers. Fortunately, you will just leave this world sad and miserable like Seyoum and Abay. But, why all this hate man?

sarcasm

Post by sarcasm » 06 Feb 2023, 20:54

Yimer wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 20:32
sarcasm wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 20:09

Why don’t I see any journal article by this fake professor?

HomeBahir Dar UniversityDepartment of ChemistryMeareg Amare
Meareg Amare
Bahir Dar University · Department of Chemistry
BSc in Chemistry, MSc in Analytical Chemistry & PhD in Physical Chemistry

Publications - 46
Reads - 15,815
Citations - 616

Introduction
Meareg Amare currently works at the Department of Chemistry, Bahir Dar University. Meareg does research in Physical Chemistry, Materials Chemistry and Analytical Chemistry. His most recent publications are 'Electrochemical Characterization of Iron (III) Doped Zeolite-Graphite Composite Modified Glassy Carbon Electrode and Its Application for AdsASSWV Determination of Uric Acid in Human Urine", and "Fe(III) doped zeolite-graphite composite modified glassy carbon electrode for selective voltammetric determination of resorcinol in water samples".

Skills and Expertise
Electropolymerization
Electrochemistry
Voltammetry
Stripping Voltammetry
Electrochemical Methods
Modified Electrode
Material Characterization
Electroanalytical Chemistry

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Meareg-Amare

sarcasm

Post by sarcasm » 06 Feb 2023, 21:08

The readers could see from your post that you are filled with hatred even after the likes of you murdered him, you still want to dishonor him. Calling for accountability, on my part, is is not hate.

See his son's Facebook post a couple days ago where he said he is still mourning his dad. Campaigning for accountability, is the least we could do.
Please wait, video is loading...

Abere

Post by Abere » 06 Feb 2023, 21:15

Well, Tigray lost 1 million poor souls to a none sense war launched by Tigre-Woyane. TPLF massacred more than 1,000 innocent Amhara in North Gondar, Mai-Kadra and North Command ENDF. Since then, death has become the new normal. TPLF is killing Tigres everyday; Abiy is killing none Oromo every day. Nothing is news. What would be news is if there is no death in a day.

sarcasm

Post by sarcasm » 02 Jun 2023, 07:36

A professor was murdered after a Facebook post branded him a traitor. Was Facebook complicit in his death?

Business Insider

Weeks before the 2021 murder of Meareg Amare in Ethiopia, Amare's son and one of Facebook's trusted partners say they warned Facebook about hateful posts threatening his life. In the wake of his murder, six Ethiopian partners tell Insider that Facebook routinely ignored their pleas to take down hateful content.

he first Facebook post about Professor Meareg Amare appeared five weeks before his murder.

The 60-year-old professor was known to be a pillar of his community in Bahir Dar, the capital of Ethiopia's Amhara region. He had authored four widely used chemistry textbooks for middle- and high-school students, and sometimes appeared on local TV, where he encouraged young people to pursue the sciences.

On October 9, 2021, a post about Amare appeared on an unofficial Facebook page for Bahir Dar University staff. The user had posted the professor's picture alongside a caption that read: "His name is Professor Meareg Amare Abrha. He is Tigrayan. We will tell you about how he was hiding at Bahir Dar University and carried out abuses."

In the months preceding the post, federal forces in Ethiopia — a country of 120 million people with five official languages — had been in turmoil as a civil war tore through Amare's native Tigray, Ethiopia's northernmmost region along its border with Eritrea. Though an internet blackout in Tigray made it almost impossible to know exactly what was happening there, human-rights groups documented mass killing, displacement, and destruction by Ethiopian federal forces, Amhara regional forces, and other allied groups. Human Rights Watch documented ethnic cleansing by Amhara forces, with help from Ethiopian federal forces, against Tigrayans in western parts of the region. The conflict had spilled into Amhara, and Tigrayan militants were accused of executing Amhara civilians.

High-profile Tigrayans like Professor Amare were being targeted across Ethiopia.

On October 10 — one day after the first post appeared — a school friend of Professor Amare's son, Abrham Amare, called to warn him that a much longer post had gone up on Facebook. Without any evidence, it implicated Amare in the massacres of Amhara civilians and accused him of embezzling funds from the university on behalf of Tigrayan rebels. It included the neighborhood where the family lived.

"I have social capital that I built before you were born," Abrham Amare remembers his father saying. "I'm an innocent person. I have nothing to hide." Surely, a community where he'd spent four decades as an educator would not turn on him.

Even as police in Bahir Dar assured him that authorities were not seeking his arrest, people who knew Professor Amare well had become suspicious. A neighbor he'd known for many years confronted him about the allegations. The harassment became incessant. Five days before his murder, Amare resigned from his teaching post.

On November 3, 2021, Professor Amare was killed outside his home.

A group of men wearing Amhara Special Forces uniforms approached him at his front gate, according to a $1.6 billion lawsuit that Abrham Amare brought against Meta late last year. One of the men shot him twice — once in his right shoulder and once in the leg.

As the professor lay bleeding, the group of men encircled him and "chanted the same insulting slander from the inciteful Facebook post," and kept away anyone who might have tried to bring him to a nearby hospital, the lawsuit said.

"For seven hours, he lay there dying slowly in unimaginable suffering," it said.

Continue reading https://www.businessinsider.com/faceboo ... ?r=US&IR=T

sarcasm

Post by sarcasm » 13 Jun 2023, 17:00

በግፍ ባህርዳር ላይ የተገደሉት የፕሮፌሰር ማዕረግ አማረ ቤት ያለበት ሁኔታ ልጅየው Abrham Meareg እንደፃፈው ...

1. ከ1974 እስከ ጥቅምት 24 2014 ዓ.ም በአማራ ክልል ህይወቱን ሙሉ የመራ ያስተማረ ብዙዎቹን ትልቅ ደረጃ ያደረሰ ፣የተመራመረ ፣የማህበረሰብ አገልግሎት የሰጠ ፣ልጆቹን ወልዶ ያፈራ እና በማህበረሰቡ ባህል ያሳደገ እና ለቁም ነገር ያበቃ

2. ከ1982 ዓ.ም እስከ ጥቅምት 24/2014 ዓ.ም ለ31 አመታት አማራ ክልል በባህር ዳር ከተማ በቀበሌ 13 በጣና ክ/ከተማ በቤት ቁጥር C-40 ከማህበረሰቡ እና ጎረቤትና ህዝብ ጋር በሰላም በመከባበር፣ በመረዳዳት የኖሩ

3. ጥቅምት 24 ዕሮብ ቀን በቀኑ አምስት ሰአት አካባቢ በገዛ ቤቱ ህይወቱን በአሰቃቂ ሁኔታ እና በግፍ ነጥቀው መኪናውን እና ለፍቶ ያገኘውን ሀብት እና ንብረት ነጥቀው ወስደው መኪናውንም ያለምንም ከልካይ ፤በድፍረት ከተማ ውስጥ በቀን በጠራራ ፀሀይ እንዳሻቸው እንደሚያሽከረክሩ ይህ ክህደት እና በደል አልበቃ ቢላቸው
4. የአማራ ልዮ ሀይል እና አመራሮች በቤቱ ውስጥ የከባድ እና ቀላል መሳሪያ ማከማቻ ፣የዕዝ መስጫ፣የአማራ ልዮ ሀይል ካምፕ መኖሪያ እና ቢሮ በማድረግ ከዛም መኖሪያ አድርገው እስከ አሁን ያሉና ግምታቸው በብዙ ሚሊየኖች የሚቆጠር ሀብት እና ንብረት የሚችሉትን ዘርፈው እና ጭነው መውሰድ ሳያንሳቸው ..
በግቢ ውስጥ እና ውጭ ቀሪ ንብረቶችን በእሳት አቃጥለዋል ፤ በሁለት ዙር ከፍተኛ ዘረፈ ፈፅመውበታል እና አሁንም ድረስ በመኖሪያነት ያለምንም ከልካይ እና ጠያቂ እየኖሩበት ይገኛል።

sarcasm

Post by sarcasm » 17 Aug 2023, 08:02

ባህርዳር ከተማ ላይ ከሁለት አመት በፊት ... ፕሮፌሰር ማዕረግ አማረ መኖሪያ ቤታቸው በራቸው ላይ በማንነት ትግራዋይ በመሆናቸው ብቻ በጥይት ተመተው ተገድለው ነበር።

ለተወሰኑ ቀናት አስከሬናቸው እንዳይነሳ ተደርጎ ብሎም ቀብራቸው በድብቅ እንዲፈፀም ነበር የተደረገው ... ባህር ዳር ዩኒቨርስቲ አይደለም የሀዘን መግለጫ ማውጣት ቀርቶ ኮሽ የሚል ድምፅ አላሰማም ..

ፕሮፌሰር ማዕረግ ለ36 አመታት በባህርዳር ዩኒቨርስቲ ያገለገሉ። ስኬታማ ተመራማሪ ከመሆናቸው በተጨማሪ አንቱታን ያተረፉ የዩኒቨርስቲው መምህር ሲሆኑ ..

ኑሮአቸውን ሆነ አብዛኛውን የህይወታቸው ጊዜ ያሳለፉት በባህርዳር ከተማ ነበር። እኚን ምሁር በማንነታቸው ምክንያት ብቻ ያለርህራሄ ገድላ አስከሬን እንዳይነሳ ያደረገች ከተማ ዛሬም ተገቢውን የፍትህ ጥያቄ አልሰማችም።

ዛሬም የፍትህ ድምፅ ከልጃቸው Abrham Meareg ይሰማል። ሁላችንም ፕሮፌሰር ማአረግ አማረ ፍትህ እንዲያገኙ እንናገር።

Abdeaziz

Post by Abdeaziz » 17 Aug 2023, 08:12

Oh Lebe Kibe Teta FANO should assassinate all high level Tigryans. The rich, the lecturer, business men, Journalists and so on. The leeches are hiding inside Amharas and Eritreans closet. Nothing good comes from this leeches except manipulating, stealing, spying and creating chaos.