Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Horus
Senior Member+

የትምህርት ሚኒስትር ፕ/ር ብርሃኑ ነጋ አብዮቱን ጀመረው! On Transformation of Ethiopian Higher Education ከዚህ በኋላ የውሸት ዲፕሎማ የማይታሰብ ነው !!

Post by Horus » 29 Oct 2021, 01:01

Feel the sense of ease and positive air among the leaders of Ethiopian higher education and truth speak. Everybody fully agrees the shameful state of low quality Ethiopian higher education - BA/BS, MS. PHD, MD and post doctoral RD
Last edited by Horus on 29 Oct 2021, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.

Horus
Senior Member+

Re: የትምህርት ሚኒስትር ፕ/ር ብርሃኑ ነጋ አብዮቱን ጀመረው! On Transformation of Ethiopian Higher Education

Post by Horus » 29 Oct 2021, 01:17

Latest events . ..

http://www.moe.gov.et/News

Here are some fundamental education policy, strategy and curriculum guideline documents
http://www.moe.gov.et/PoliciesStrategies

Horus
Senior Member+

Re: የትምህርት ሚኒስትር ፕ/ር ብርሃኑ ነጋ አብዮቱን ጀመረው! On Transformation of Ethiopian Higher Education

Post by Horus » 29 Oct 2021, 01:52

እኔ እንደ ገባኝ፣ እንደ ማንምነውና የዶ/ር ብርሃኑ እምነትና መመሪያ ነው ብዬ የማምነው ይህ ነው። መመሪያው ምንም ምስጢር የለውም። ሙሉ መርሁ በአንድ መስመር ሊገለጽ ይችላል ። Ethiopia will have world class education and products of the Ethiopian education system will be of equal competence and expertise with global market competencies and skill sets. An Ethiopian MD will have the requisite trainings and skills required by a clinic in NY and London. A PhD in physics will have same academic rigor and intellectual preparation to teach at MIT in Mass. This is the guideline. This will be the measure of performance by Ethiopian professors and graduates of all levels. Ditto!

Yes Dr. Berhanu raised the need for educational academic infrastructures - cutting edge labs, cutting edge teaching technologies, teaching methods, materials, and in fact capable higher education leadership and management systems as well high caliber army of teachers. But the very education infrastructure is part of the transformation process .

My suggestion is Abiy and Berhanu need to recruit education managers and educators from the skill rich Ethiopian diaspora.

MOE should also introduce Blockchain Technology for its national education database management, cost permitting!
Last edited by Horus on 29 Oct 2021, 16:34, edited 5 times in total.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 29 Oct 2021, 15:46

Horus wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 01:52
እኔ እንደ ገባኝ፣ እንደ ማንምነውና የዶ/ር ብርሃኑ እምነትና መመሪያ ነው ብዬ የማምበው ይህ ነው። መመሪያ ምንም ምስጢር የለውም። ሙሉ መርሁ በአንድ መስመር ለገለጽ ይችላል ። Ethiopia will have world class education and products of the Ethiopian education system will be of equal competence and expertise with global market competencies and skill sets. An Ethiopian MD will have the requisite trainings and skills required by a clinic in NY and London. A PhD in physics will have same academic rigor and intellectual preparation to teach at MIT in Mass. This is guideline. This will be the measure of performance by Ethiopian professors and graduates of all levels. Ditto!

Yes Dr. Berhanu raised the need for educational academic infrastructures - cutting edge labs, cutting teaching technologies, teaching methods, materials, and in fact capable higher education leadership and management systems as well high caliber army of teachers. But the very education infrastructure is part of the transformation process .

My suggestion is Abiy and Berhanu need to recruit education managers and educators from the skill rich Ethiopian diaspora.
Horus,

Meles Zenawi left his signature of taking the Ethiopian Education Quality level from one of the top in Africa to the bottom of all that we have today. It is a big opportunity for Prof. Berhanu to undo this major damage to the future of the country and bring back a quality education to the country.

A country devoid of learned people is a country already condemned to backwardness and misery, especially in today's world competitive socio-economic order.

Even at my age the Derg era education was rigorus enough to make Ethiopian students competitive with the rest in the world, perhaps not much practice oriented but theoretically there were many many students scoring top level points, in Ethiopia and beyond.

Woyane killed the country by building enclaves for everybody and telling them not to leave those delimited areas and didn't stop there. It also told them you should gain an education also only on your village level, no more.

University presidents were recruited from loyalists and then from those available from the respective villages alone, two level of recruiting. Once you are loyal, then you need also to be from the respective village. That essentially killed the Ethiopian brain, in addition to the physical one of course.

The policy was started before 30 or so years and the result is becoming effective today and we are living under it. If Prof. Berhanu may introduce the changes now, the effect will only be realised after decades, the current ailment will persist with us for a number of decades to come and we will going to feel the pain in the meanwhile.

He can make a name for himself and leave behind a lasting legacy for the country, it is not unimportant position in my view.

Sam Ebalalehu

Re: የትምህርት ሚኒስትር ፕ/ር ብርሃኑ ነጋ አብዮቱን ጀመረው! On Transformation of Ethiopian Higher Education ከዚህ በኋላ የውሸት ዲፕሎማ የማይታሰብ ነው !

Post by Sam Ebalalehu » 29 Oct 2021, 16:03

When Meles publicly had said as long as one is an EPDRF member he or she qualifies for anything, it was a very telling statement that Ethiopian education was sabotaged by the very government that is supposed to enrich it.
By the way I paraphrased what he said.

Horus
Senior Member+

Re: የትምህርት ሚኒስትር ፕ/ር ብርሃኑ ነጋ አብዮቱን ጀመረው! On Transformation of Ethiopian Higher Education ከዚህ በኋላ የውሸት ዲፕሎማ የማይታሰብ ነው !

Post by Horus » 29 Oct 2021, 16:26

Sam Ebalalehu wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 16:03
When Meles publicly had said as long as one is an EPDRF member he or she qualifies for anything, it was a very telling statement that Ethiopian education was sabotaged by the very government that is supposed to enrich it.
By the way I paraphrased what he said.
I agree fully. I do believe, Berhanu has gotten his passion and he will make a dent on the problem. You will be amazed by the amount change that could be effected in 5 years. The first is psychological change, positivity, confidence, and hopefulness of parents, youth and educators. By eliminating the corruption and ethnic driven social promotion of student alone can produce significant change.

There is one concept that is dear to Berhanu 'disruption'! It the essential tool of making change & innovation. He will disrupt the corrupt and failing system of miseducation. I also believe he is given a green light to do by Abiy education is one of the 6 or 7 core focus areas including agriculture, mining, technical innovation etc.. I also believe that Berhanu will be able to draw a lot assistance from international education partners and the Ethiopian academic diaspora.

Abiy couldn't have made a better choice for Ethiopian education.
Last edited by Horus on 29 Oct 2021, 19:22, edited 2 times in total.

ethiopianunity
Member+

Post by ethiopianunity » 29 Oct 2021, 17:39

I really don't understand why most officials in Ethiopia are mixing English with Amharic. Dr Berhanu and Dr Abiy are doing this is bad example to the society. It loses essence of either language. If they want to speak in Amharic, then do so. If they want to speak in English, they can do so but have translators. This is really outrageous. The other issue is that almost everybody are now mimicking Western style of dressing professionally. More and more we are losing our traditions. India was ruled by British for 600 years and they know they would lose who they are and still till this day they wear their traditional Saris. Till this day, their PM still wear their own traditions. What is wrong with Ethiopia? For 50 years of Western influence Ethiopia claiming not to colonized had created brainwash societies via Eprp, Derg, All Liberation Fronts. Today, they feel embarassed the men wearing their traditions afraid they will be called Fara for wearing their traditionals clothes, mixing English with Amharic is considered sophisticated, this would affect generations in fact. So what is going on? We know leaders create societies that looks exactly like them. We will have generations to speak Amanglish unable to address their point acrosss. Note: this is positive criticism. For sure we are so used to using English, we have to search for what the word used to be in Amharic. Especially those of us living outside Ethiopia. I understand Dr Berhanu have been teaching in U.S using the language English and it might be difficult. I am not clear why Dr. Aby mixes Amanglish. Most leaders do practice on important issues or when they give speech, I think that might be the solution. I understand also there are times you have to use the English word that doesn't have Amharic word. However, it is unacceptable giving presentations/ interviews with mixed up Amharic and English. Pracitice, practice, practice. Thank you.

ethiopianunity
Member+

Post by ethiopianunity » 29 Oct 2021, 17:52

I would like to add also, the emerging Ethiopoian Protestant societies also promote this as well both the clothing and English language. They are sent in the West to be trained as leaders and get sent to Ethiopoia to change the hearts and minds of Ethiopians to be a Protestant, wear suits and become modern to be considered Western.

In addition, Amharic/Geez is a difficult grammar that enhances the brain. Most countries around the world have and till this day embrace their wriiting and languge one example is India. Due to this ethnic politics in Ethiopia, the resentment for the Amharic/Geez, language by ethnic Liberation Fronts have created a rift in Ethiopia's communication and language skills. Note: Geez and Amharic is currently being taught in the West because they know its usefullness and once they built this skill, it had help them reach ancient mysteries that made the world exist till this day. It is Ethiopia's ancient mysteries also that contributed to this. Thank you.

Horus
Senior Member+

Post by Horus » 29 Oct 2021, 18:05

ethiopianunity

Can you explain what you mean by "Amharic/Geez is a difficult grammar that enhances the brain"?

Also this thread is not about official language use.

So, may be you should make a comment on the academic and intellectual problems of TPLF created educational crises .

ethiopianunity
Member+

Post by ethiopianunity » 29 Oct 2021, 18:26

Horus,

What I mean is challenging subject such as Amharic /Geez or any other subjects as well as Math, enhances your brain, surely you know that. I don't understand why it was not clear for you. I know this ER website is not designed for civil/educational purpose but a kill and attack of one another. Well we are talking about Education and definitely should include language, speech even with said subject. Of course Tplf was the architect of anti education, moral that is why Tplf controlled Ethiopia, we know that obviously. That is why I included it as Liberation Fronts I mentioned you are trying to avoid. Pro Tplf groups, Liberation Fronts, Eprp, Endrias Eshete, Prof Duri Mohammed, Education minister Gennet Assefa, her so called brother who decimated the University systems in Ethiopia. surely these guys were pro Tplf opportunists. Over all, I don't undertand why you are diverting the issue I wrote about that I believe that need to be corrected as constructive advice when making speech.

AbebeB
Member+

Post by AbebeB » 29 Oct 2021, 18:30

Birhanu Nega will soon be required to cooperate ICC. No doubt, he wouldn't be let for free after poisoning Oromo children as fulfillment of his ego he used to chant to finish Oromo nation. It should be clear for anyone alive. Trust me, one way or the other he will be accountable soon before his natural death otherwise his ---will repay.

https://kichuu.com/breaking-news-in-fin ... d-to-harm/

Horus
Senior Member+

Post by Horus » 29 Oct 2021, 19:36

ethiopianunity wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 18:26
Horus,

What I mean is challenging subject such as Amharic /Geez or any other subjects as well as Math, enhances your brain, surely you know that. I don't understand why it was not clear for you. I know this ER website is not designed for civil/educational purpose but a kill and attack of one another. Well we are talking about Education and definitely should include language, speech even with said subject. Of course Tplf was the architect of anti education, moral that is why Tplf controlled Ethiopia, we know that obviously. That is why I included it as Liberation Fronts I mentioned you are trying to avoid. Pro Tplf groups, Liberation Fronts, Eprp, Endrias Eshete, Prof Duri Mohammed, Education minister Gennet Assefa, her so called brother who decimated the University systems in Ethiopia. surely these guys were pro Tplf opportunists. Over all, I don't undertand why you are diverting the issue I wrote about that I believe that need to be corrected as constructive advice when making speech.
It is ok to borrow foreign words in a speech in any language! So, let me ask you what is the Amharic/Geez word for metaphysics or phenomenology or Philadelphia?

Naga Tuma
Member+

Post by Naga Tuma » 29 Oct 2021, 20:57

የዚህን ሹመት ዜና ስስማ እንደ ኣንድ ግለሰብ የመጀመርያ ምኞቴ በትምህርት ጥራት የኣጼ ሃይለስላሴ ያህል ዉጤት፣ በብልህነቱ ኣንድ ወቅት ኣንድ አከባቢ ቤት ፆም ካደረ ተነስቶ ቤት ይናጋ የማይል ትዉልድ ለማፍራት ያብቃ ነዉ።

ቀጥሎም በኢትዮጵያ ዉስጥ መሠረት ይዞ የነበረዉን ትምህርት ጠግኖ ጠንካራ ለማድረግ እንዴት መስመር ማስያዝ ይቻላል የሚል ጥያቄ መመለስ ነዉ። ለዚህ በቂ ልምድ ያለ ስለሚመስልኝ ይህን መሰብሰብያ የሚሆን ወጥ ዉይይት ኣድርጎ መሪህ ሀሳቦችን መወጠን ነዉ።

እንደ ኣንድ የድሮ ተማሪ ካስተዋልኩኝ የተወሰኑ ልምዶች ኣንዱ የኢትዮጵያ ትምህርት ለመፈተን ሳይሆን ለማስተማር መሆኑን ከስሩ ማስተዋል ነዉ። መማር ሀሳብ ለመሸምደድ ሳይሆን ሀሳብን ከመሠረቱ ማስተዋል የበለጠ ዉጤታማ ያደርጋል ብዬ ኣስባለሁ። በኣጭሩ ማስተማር ከመሸምደድ ይልቅ ማስተዋልን ነዉ።

ካስተዋልኩት ኣንድ ገጠመኝ ዶር ስለሺ በቀለ ከኣዲስ ኣበባ ዩኒቨርዚቲ ከተመረቀ በኃላ እና ከእንግሊዝ ሃገር ዩኒቨርዚቲ ከተመረቀ በኃላ ያሳየዉ የማስተማር ስልት ለውጥ ነዉ። ይህን ለዉጥ የምያስታዉስ ከሆነ ምን ነበር ያለወጥከዉ? ምን ነበር ያስለወጠህ? ብሎ ጠይቆ ያንን ልምድ መቅሰም ነዉ። ይህ ኣንድ ምሳሌ ነዉ። የማያስታዉስ ከሆነ እኔ ተሳስቼ ይሆናል ማለት ነዉ።

ሁለተኛ ኣንድ ወቅት ፕሮፌሰር መሳይ ከበደ ኢትዮጵያ ዉስጥ ዘመናዊ ትምህርት ሲጀመር ጎጃም ዉስጥ ኣንድ አለቃ ይህ ዘመናዊ ትምህርት የሳተዉ ኣለ ብለዉ ነበር የሚል ጽሁፍ ኣስነብበዉን ነበር። እስከዛሬ በዉል ኣልገባኝም። እዉነት የተረሳ ነገር ካለ ምን ነበር ብሎ ማስታወስ ይህ ጥሩ ዕድል ይመስለኛል። በዚሁ ኣጋጣሚም ከገዳም ሆነ ከባላሃገር የእዉቀት ባልሃብቶች ልጆቻቸዉ ከባህሉም ይሁን ከሃይማኖታዊ እዉቃታቸዉ ምን እንዲወርሱ እንደሚፈልጉ ቢጠየቁ ለማስተማር ፈር ማስያዝ የሚቻሉ ሀሳቦችን ያፈልቁ ይሆን?

ሶስተኛ ከኢትዮጵያ ትምህርት ቤቶች ጎን ለጎን የኣድቬንቲስት ትምህርት ቤት የኢትዮጵያ ወጣቶችን ኣስተምራ ለዉጤት ኣብቅታለች። እዛ ትምህርት ቤት የተማሩት ኢትዮጵያን ከኢትዮጵያ ትምህርት ቤቶች ያላገኙት ምን ኣለ፣ ያጡትስ ምን ኣለ ብሎ ልምድ መቅሰምም ይህ ጥሩ ዕድል ይመስለኛል።

አረተኛ እኔ ማትሪክ ለመፈተን ስዘጋጅ ከገጠሙኝ የሚነበቡ እና የሚጠኑ ጠንካራ ጽሁፎች ዉስጥ በወቅቱ ወሂኒ ቤት የነበሩ የሚማሩት እና የምያስተምሩበት ነበር ሲባል ሰምቻለሁ። የወሂኒ ቤት ኣስተማሪዎች ከመደበኛዉ ትምህርት ቤት የበለጠ ጠንካራ ጽሂፎችን ሲጠቀሙ ገርሞኝ ነበር፣ የዛን ወቅት የልጅነት ኣስተሳሰቤ ትክክል ከሆነ። የዛ ትምህርት ተሳታፊዎች የተለየ ያስተዋሉት ነበረ? ከነበረ ምን ነበር?

እነዚህ ሁሉ የተስተዋሉ ለዚህ ጅምር የማይጠቅሙ ሊሆኑ ይችላሉ። እንደ ኣንድ ግለሰብ ኣስተዋልኩ የመሰለኝ ለማስተዋል ያሚበቃ ከሆን ብዬ ነዉ።
Last edited by Naga Tuma on 03 Nov 2021, 15:12, edited 4 times in total.

AbebeB
Member+

Post by AbebeB » 29 Oct 2021, 21:20

ethiopianunity wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 19:17
Abebe,

from pro Tplf to pro Olf? hahahaha.
ethiopianunity,
What you say belongs to prostitutes. Yet it is ethiopians aka Abyssinian known for prostitution. Okay?

Educator

Post by Educator » 29 Oct 2021, 21:23

DefendTheTruth,
I agree with most of what you said. But I doubt Birhanu will remedy the current problem within the education system. For one he is being a negative influence by not able to communicate his ideas in a language Ethiopians understand. He neither speaks in Amharic nor in English. He is not proficient in either language by the way. He either say entin or therefore at every sentence he makes and we are always lost as to what he wants to propagate as a message.
And now, I am not sure whether he is campaigning as a candidate or leading a department. Cause all he seems to be saying is rhetorical and focused on problems. No solutions . Maybe his solutions are suppressed by the word entin.

DefendTheTruth wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 15:46
Horus wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 01:52
እኔ እንደ ገባኝ፣ እንደ ማንምነውና የዶ/ር ብርሃኑ እምነትና መመሪያ ነው ብዬ የማምበው ይህ ነው። መመሪያ ምንም ምስጢር የለውም። ሙሉ መርሁ በአንድ መስመር ለገለጽ ይችላል ። Ethiopia will have world class education and products of the Ethiopian education system will be of equal competence and expertise with global market competencies and skill sets. An Ethiopian MD will have the requisite trainings and skills required by a clinic in NY and London. A PhD in physics will have same academic rigor and intellectual preparation to teach at MIT in Mass. This is guideline. This will be the measure of performance by Ethiopian professors and graduates of all levels. Ditto!

Yes Dr. Berhanu raised the need for educational academic infrastructures - cutting edge labs, cutting teaching technologies, teaching methods, materials, and in fact capable higher education leadership and management systems as well high caliber army of teachers. But the very education infrastructure is part of the transformation process .

Horus,

Meles Zenawi left his signature of taking the Ethiopian Education Quality level from one of the top in Africa to the bottom of all that we have today. It is a big opportunity for Prof. Berhanu to undo this major damage to the future of the country and bring back a quality education to the country.

A country devoid of learned people is a country already condemned to backwardness and misery, especially in today's world competitive socio-economic order.

Even at my age the Derg era education was rigorus enough to make Ethiopian students competitive with the rest in the world, perhaps not much practice oriented but theoretically there were many many students scoring top level points, in Ethiopia and beyond.

Woyane killed the country by building enclaves for everybody and telling them not to leave those delimited areas and didn't stop there. It also told them you should gain an education also only on your village level, no more.

University presidents were recruited from loyalists and then from those available from the respective villages alone, two level of recruiting. Once you are loyal, then you need also to be from the respective village. That essentially killed the Ethiopian brain, in addition to the physical one of course.

The policy was started before 30 or so years and the result is becoming effective today and we are living under it. If Prof. Berhanu may introduce the changes now, the effect will only be realised after decades, the current ailment will persist with us for a number of decades to come and we will going to feel the pain in the meanwhile.

He can make a name for himself and leave behind a lasting legacy for the country, it is not unimportant position in my view.

ethiopianunity
Member+

Post by ethiopianunity » 29 Oct 2021, 21:38

Educator,

This is not merely the problem of Dr Berhanu, it is the current educated politicians as well among many individuals. When it comes to leaders, since they make impact, it would be an issue. Note: India has this problem as well.

Educator

Post by Educator » 29 Oct 2021, 21:50

ethiopianunity,

Yes, you are 100% correct. But I am so curious how and why these so called educated people are not able to form a sentence in a single language.
ethiopianunity wrote:
29 Oct 2021, 21:38
Educator,

This is not merely the problem of Dr Berhanu, it is the current educated politicians as well among many individuals. When it comes to leaders, since they make impact, it would be an issue. Note: India has this problem as well.