Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Post Reply
EPRDF
Member
Posts: 2005
Joined: 26 Jan 2010, 12:58

Similarities between Somali and Oromo

Post by EPRDF » 13 Oct 2021, 15:53


Sholla Addis
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 12 Dec 2013, 02:02

Re: Similarities between Somali and Oromo

Post by Sholla Addis » 14 Oct 2021, 12:58

.
.
Nothing new here. Both ethnic groups are descended from the same family, and we are the owners of East Africa.
However, there is a minor distinction between the two. Oromo people intermarried with other ethnics, whereas Somali people did not, which is why they retained their culture and customs.

yaballo
Member
Posts: 961
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 02:30

Re: Similarities between Somali and Oromo

Post by yaballo » 14 Oct 2021, 13:24

Sholla;

Are you sure about the Somalis being "pure" &/or not having any admixture with other tribes?? .. What about their extensive mixing with southern & eastern Oromo clans such as those in Hararghe, Baalee, Boorana, Kenya, etc?? .. Note too that the Oromos & Somalis originate from the same "Cushitic family tree". Of course, a significant percentage of the Somalis have mixed with their Bantu neighbours over the centuries.

Also, your notion of "an Oromo" is clearly limited to the Gobana Tulama/Shoa woremos who are, in fact, more Amhara than they are woremos! :roll:

For example, Oromo groups such as Boorana, Gujii, Gabra, Orma, Saakuyyee, Karrayyu, Jilee, most of Baale/Arsi, most of Hararghe & even Wollo + Raayya, etc, are still pretty much authentically woremos - unlike your semi-gudeela aka GUDEELIFIED relatives from Shoa, Jimma, Ilu, Wollega, etc. OK - አንተ እበታም ግማሽ የኩሎ-ኮንታ ጉዴላና ባሪያ ሁሉ? :shock: .. Good then.

SONG: THIS IS A COVER BORANA SONG BY A LOVELY YOUNG SINGER NAMED SAKINA [KENYA]. THE ORIGINAL SONG IS IN SOMALI [SEE BELOW]. .. ENJOY!

SONG: Fanaanad ajnabiya Zakina oo heesahii Alla quruxsanaa iyo hadaadan tumeyn si cajiiba u qaaday




AND ..

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL SONG BY OUR SOMALI COUSINS ...

SONG: ZAKI YARE | ALLA QURUXSANAA | - New Somali Music Video 2019 (Official Video) - NOTE HOW MANY HITS THIS SONG HAS ON YOUTUBE .. 16 MILLION HITS OVER A RELATIVELY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME .. & GROWING FAST!! :shock: 8)






Sholla Addis wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 12:58
.
.
Nothing new here. Both ethnic groups are descended from the same family, and we are the owners of East Africa.
However, there is a minor distinction between the two. Oromo people intermarried with other ethnics, whereas Somali people did not, which is why they retained their culture and customs.
Last edited by yaballo on 14 Oct 2021, 14:38, edited 3 times in total.

Noble Amhara
Member+
Posts: 6892
Joined: 02 Feb 2020, 13:00
Location: Abysinnia

Re: Similarities between Somali and Oromo

Post by Noble Amhara » 14 Oct 2021, 13:53

Tulama are somewhat comprised of Shewa Amhara (north of Awash) and Shewa Gurage (South of Awash) as well Gafat and many Welayatan Woremo Gudifechas! The name tulama is just a borana warlord that assimilated Abysinnians of Shewa in central Ethiopia! The language of Oromo was a dialect of Borana Somalis and is also related to Sidama of Bale and Gedeo of Guji

Somaliman
Member
Posts: 2540
Joined: 09 Nov 2007, 20:12
Location: Heaven

Re: Similarities between Somali and Oromo

Post by Somaliman » 14 Oct 2021, 19:18

yaballo wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 13:24
Sholla;

Are you sure about the Somalis being "pure" &/or not having any admixture with other tribes?? .. What about their extensive mixing with southern & eastern Oromo clans such as those in Hararghe, Baalee, Boorana, Kenya, etc?? .. Note too that the Oromos & Somalis originate from the same "Cushitic family tree". Of course, a significant percentage of the Somalis have mixed with their Bantu neighbours over the centuries.

Also, your notion of "an Oromo" is clearly limited to the Gobana Tulama/Shoa woremos who are, in fact, more Amhara than they are woremos! :roll:

For example, Oromo groups such as Boorana, Gujii, Gabra, Orma, Saakuyyee, Karrayyu, Jilee, most of Baale/Arsi, most of Hararghe & even Wollo + Raayya, etc, are still pretty much authentically woremos - unlike your semi-gudeela aka GUDEELIFIED relatives from Shoa, Jimma, Ilu, Wollega, etc. OK - አንተ እበታም ግማሽ የኩሎ-ኮንታ ጉዴላና ባሪያ ሁሉ? :shock: .. Good then.

SONG: THIS IS A COVER BORANA SONG BY A LOVELY YOUNG SINGER NAMED SAKINA [KENYA]. THE ORIGINAL SONG IS IN SOMALI [SEE BELOW]. .. ENJOY!

SONG: Fanaanad ajnabiya Zakina oo heesahii Alla quruxsanaa iyo hadaadan tumeyn si cajiiba u qaaday




AND ..

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL SONG BY OUR SOMALI COUSINS ...

SONG: ZAKI YARE | ALLA QURUXSANAA | - New Somali Music Video 2019 (Official Video) - NOTE HOW MANY HITS THIS SONG HAS ON YOUTUBE .. 16 MILLION HITS OVER A RELATIVELY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME .. & GROWING FAST!! :shock: 8)






Sholla Addis wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 12:58
.
.
Nothing new here. Both ethnic groups are descended from the same family, and we are the owners of East Africa.
However, there is a minor distinction between the two. Oromo people intermarried with other ethnics, whereas Somali people did not, which is why they retained their culture and customs.



Yaballo,

Many Somalis would reject outright the idea that Somalis mixed with Bantu to a certain extent in the past, but to me, it's just undeniable. You clearly notice traces of such a mixture even in the north of Somalia, which is quite far from East Africa. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with being Bantu.

yaballo
Member
Posts: 961
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 02:30

Re: Similarities between Somali and Oromo

Post by yaballo » 14 Oct 2021, 23:43

Somaliman:
Yaballo, Many Somalis would reject outright the idea that Somalis mixed with Bantu to a certain extent in the past, but to me, it's just undeniable. You clearly notice traces of such a mixture even in the north of Somalia, which is quite far from East Africa. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with being Bantu.

Somaliman,

Hola.

Yes, indeed. Boranas also have almost exactly the same attitude/view on issues such as their admixture or no with the Bantu tribes whom they (Boranas) & other related groups such as Gabra, Saakuyye, Orma, Warday, Garre/Garri, etc, sometimes call "guraalee" [= the darkies].

But, many of the Boranas & related tribes - especially those bordering on various Bantu tribes in Kenya & Bantu-looking tribes in southern Ethiopia - show a great deal of genetic & cultural admixture with their Bantu neighbours with whom they have been interacting for centuries.

Even then, many insist that 'they have nothing Bantu in them' - just like our Somali cousins :roll: - :P .

Nagaatti/nabad.


SONG: 'caaccolee" [chachole] - a Borana traditional song for goats .. <Lookoo Ashanee **Sirba Re'ee** New Oromo Music 2020.> .. PS: these are Boranas from the Ethiopian side of the border. Those in Kenya have lost many of their traditional look as they adopted Islamic &/or Somali attires, etc.




SONG: New oromo/Borana song 2021....simu teh dabe inollin by Rufastiya.... [from Kenya]


Somaliman
Member
Posts: 2540
Joined: 09 Nov 2007, 20:12
Location: Heaven

Re: Similarities between Somali and Oromo

Post by Somaliman » 15 Oct 2021, 05:42

yaballo wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 23:43
Somaliman:
Yaballo, Many Somalis would reject outright the idea that Somalis mixed with Bantu to a certain extent in the past, but to me, it's just undeniable. You clearly notice traces of such a mixture even in the north of Somalia, which is quite far from East Africa. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with being Bantu.

Somaliman,

Hola.

Yes, indeed. Boranas also have almost exactly the same attitude/view on issues such as their admixture or no with the Bantu tribes whom they (Boranas) & other related groups such as Gabra, Saakuyye, Orma, Warday, Garre/Garri, etc, sometimes call "guraalee" [= the darkies].

But, many of the Boranas & related tribes - especially those bordering on various Bantu tribes in Kenya & Bantu-looking tribes in southern Ethiopia - show a great deal of genetic & cultural admixture with their Bantu neighbours with whom they have been interacting for centuries.

Even then, many insist that 'they have nothing Bantu in them' - just like our Somali cousins :roll: - :P .

Nagaatti/nabad.


SONG: 'caaccolee" [chachole] - a Borana traditional song for goats .. <Lookoo Ashanee **Sirba Re'ee** New Oromo Music 2020.> .. PS: these are Boranas from the Ethiopian side of the border. Those in Kenya have lost many of their traditional look as they adopted Islamic &/or Somali attires, etc.




SONG: New oromo/Borana song 2021....simu teh dabe inollin by Rufastiya.... [from Kenya]





Yaballo,

Hola!

This denial of having mixed with Bantu, to me, is a typical attitude of nomadic pastoralist communities, as they're often associated with excessive pride and are too conscious of their own dignity.

Hawdian
Senior Member
Posts: 11518
Joined: 15 May 2013, 23:18
Location: Islam, commercial, maritime and free

Re: Similarities between Somali and Oromo

Post by Hawdian » 15 Oct 2021, 06:12

I'm linguist expert.

Oromo and Somali have nothing in common other than few words they borrowed from each others.

Even the phonetic sounds are very different.

Somali is more closely related to Afar and Saho.

Cushitic neither Semitic is of ancestry or even language relations.

This classification is purely how words are congregated, sentences are formed, etc.

I can assure you that Somali has more words with Arabic than Amharic does with Arabic yet supposedly "Semitic".
Amhara can't even pronounce ح or ع

Tigringya does have those letters.

Conclusion: fake news

Somali and Afar, very close



Oromo



That Oromo song is lit btw.

Agew is Cushitic classification so is Beja. No Oromo or Somali can understand more than 10 words.

It's not about words. These language classifications are formed based on conjugation of words.

yaballo
Member
Posts: 961
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 02:30

Re: Similarities between Somali and Oromo

Post by yaballo » 15 Oct 2021, 17:41

Somaliman:
yaballo: this denial of having mixed with Bantu, to me, is a typical attitude of nomadic pastoralist communities, as they're often associated with excessive pride and are too conscious of their own dignity.

Hola.

True. Nomadic pride is paramount among pastoralist societies & these often view the cabbage & ቆጮ/qocho farming Bantus/Hutus/GUDEELAS' :shock: as 'pride-less' serfs.

To many pastoralist communities all over Africa ranging from the Somalis in the east to the Hawsa & Tuareg in the west; from the Tutsis in the centre to the Beja in the north; digging the earth (cultivating/farming) to make a living is seen as a degrading task only fit for people of the 'lower castes', cultivators or slaves. Such people are also seen as 'uncultured' & 'dim-witted'. Only impoverished pastoralists are forced to cultivate land to make a living & such people are looked upon with some pity.

Also, pastoralist communities tend to be more martial in part because of their more mobile way of life, the need to find more land for their herds of animals & even due to their better diet. As you know, it was because of this 'martial trait' that the colonial administrations all over Africa used to recruit pastoralists as soldiers in places such as Nigeria [Hawsa], Congo-Rwanda-Burndi [Tutsis & related tribes in eastern Congo], Uganda [Akoli, Idi-Amin's tribe], Kenya [Somalis, Masai, Turkana, Borana, etc].

Saludos/Nagaatti/Nabad






SONG: MUSIC OF THE TUAREG PASTORALISTS OF THE SAHEL & THE SAHARA ... Fatou Seidi Ghali (Les Filles de Illighadad) - Telilit




SONG: Hees qaraami macaan badan maxamed kabanle Qaraami macaan


EPRDF
Member
Posts: 2005
Joined: 26 Jan 2010, 12:58

Re: Similarities between Somali and Oromo

Post by EPRDF » 15 Oct 2021, 18:39

Hawdian wrote:
15 Oct 2021, 06:12
I'm linguist expert.

Oromo and Somali have nothing in common other than few words they borrowed from each others.

Even the phonetic sounds are very different
If an Oromo, a Guraghe and an Adere man entered into Hargeysa or Muqdishoo, it took only less than six months for an Oromo man to speak fluent aaf Somal, whereas for an Adere and Guraghe man takes maybe years to make basic conversation. WHY?

If a Somali man comes to Dire Dawa a city where aafan Oromo, Aderigna, aaf Somal and Amharic is widely spoken, the first language our man from Muqdishoo would master quickly is none other than aafan Oromo. WHY?

Post Reply