Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
EwnetYashenifal

SHOCKED TO LEARN S&P's BOND RATINGS ARE BASED ON POLITICAL CONSIDERATIONS RATHER THAN ON MARKET CONDITIONS. HOLY COW!

Post by EwnetYashenifal » 25 Sep 2021, 00:04

I AM SHOCKED TO LEARN S&P's BOND RATINGS ARE BASED ON POLITICAL CONSIDERATIONS RATHER THAN ON MARKET CONDITIONS. HOLY COW!

Halafi Mengedi
Senior Member+

Re: SHOCKED TO LEARN S&P's BOND RATINGS ARE BASED ON POLITICAL CONSIDERATIONS RATHER THAN ON MARKET CONDITIONS. HOLY COW

Post by Halafi Mengedi » 25 Sep 2021, 00:56

EwnetYashenifal wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 00:04
I AM SHOCKED TO LEARN S&P's BOND RATINGS ARE BASED ON POLITICAL CONSIDERATIONS RATHER THAN ON MARKET CONDITIONS. HOLY COW!
I hate to include you and call you Chika Angol but bond/stock market/ any kind of investment instrument are heavily tied to political stability. Imagine if in America one of the state like California or Texas engages civil war with the federal and other states do the same like ethnics in Ethiopia, the stock market will tumble beyond recognition overnight more than anything else like one of the economic sector is weak like housing market which the heaviest in America economy. So, the Ethiopia bond should be close to zero because it is not infighting due to political but the existence of the nation as a whole, because Somali, Oromia, Sidama, Wolaita, Tigray, Beneshangule are ready to move on from the Menelik Gojo as we speak right now and there will not be bond market since there will not be a nation as we know it.

EwnetYashenifal

Re: SHOCKED TO LEARN S&P's BOND RATINGS ARE BASED ON POLITICAL CONSIDERATIONS RATHER THAN ON MARKET CONDITIONS. HOLY COW

Post by EwnetYashenifal » 25 Sep 2021, 01:17

Halafi Mengedi wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 00:56
EwnetYashenifal wrote:
I hate to include you and call you Chika Angol but bond/stock market/ any kind of investment instrument are heavily tied to political stability. Imagine if in America one of the state like California or Texas engages civil war with the federal and other states do the same like ethnics in Ethiopia, the stock market will tumble beyond recognition overnight more than anything else like one of the economic sector is weak like housing market which the heaviest in America economy. So, the Ethiopia bond should be close to zero because it is not infighting due to political but the existence of the nation as a whole, because Somali, Oromia, Sidama, Wolaita, Tigray, Beneshangule are ready to move on from the Menelik Gojo as we speak right now and there will not be bond market since there will not be a nation as we know it.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Halafi Mengedi, you are right, bond prices can be tied to political stability in addition to market conditions. The question is why issue the ratings now and that is what makes the whole thing suspect and may indicate malicious intent on the part of S&P. By the way, I respect your democratic right to call me Chika Angol. We are all looking for an Ethiopia where citizens respect each other and value each other's perspectives.

Halafi Mengedi
Senior Member+

Post by Halafi Mengedi » 25 Sep 2021, 02:23

EwnetYashenifal wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 01:17
Halafi Mengedi wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 00:56
EwnetYashenifal wrote:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Halafi Mengedi, you are right, bond prices can be tied to political stability in addition to market conditions. The question is why issue the ratings now and that is what makes the whole thing suspect and may indicate malicious intent on the part of S&P. By the way, I respect your democratic right to call me Chika Angol. We are all looking for an Ethiopia where citizens respect each other and value each other's perspectives.
Actually the free world want to see the country survive not disintegrate and they politically were very patience to say anything until now, otherwise they could have issued nine months ago when the war started. Ethiopia got free ride for political reasons. Junk bond was issue to many countries, like Russie, Argentina, Ukraine and other countries before, Ethiopia is the only country they tolerate so long but now they have to do it for the interest of investors around the world. So, your thinking should have been the other way around Ethiopia got favorable treatment for a while not to panic and make the situation dare and collapse the country they do not want to see at all.