Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
BigBreak

Predicting future relations between Tigray and the rest of Ethiopia

Post by BigBreak » 24 Sep 2021, 16:30

Obviously only God knows what will happen in the future but I believe there will be an indefinite/long term ceasefire via a stalemate in this war and the situation would return to before November 2020 whereby Tigray acts likes a de facto sovereign state that's just about part of Ethiopia but fully autonomous of the Ethiopian federal government

Abdisa
Member+

Re: Predicting future relations between Tigray and the rest of Ethiopia

Post by Abdisa » 24 Sep 2021, 17:01

The TPLF terrorist group will be uprooted and destroyed, and soon there will be a civilian government in Tigray that is fully accountable to the central government. And as far as relations goes between Tigray and the rest of Ethiopia, the agame have burned the bridge they once used to cross into Ethiopia, so the prevailing and increasing distrust of agame will still be there for the coming hundreds of years irrespective of efforts to diminish its effects. You can't have your cake and eat it too. :|

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 25 Sep 2021, 07:15

BigBreak wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 16:30
Obviously only God knows what will happen in the future but I believe there will be an indefinite/long term ceasefire via a stalemate in this war and the situation would return to before November 2020 whereby Tigray acts likes a de facto sovereign state that's just about part of Ethiopia but fully autonomous of the Ethiopian federal government

If "full autonomy" was such a fulfilment for you, why has it not helped your tribal enclave, aka somaliland, succeed, as it has been having it for over 30 now!

Just a thought!

Halafi Mengedi
Senior Member+

Post by Halafi Mengedi » 25 Sep 2021, 15:58

Somaliman wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 07:15
BigBreak wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 16:30

If "full autonomy" was such a fulfilment for you, why has it not helped your tribal enclave, aka somaliland, succeed, as it has been having it for over 30 now!

Just a thought!
Why do not you get it yourself instead of looking Tigray to hand you, what have you done what Tigray did for you, she secure your kilil you never had prior in 1991. Tigray does not have any obligation for anyone about their future, let them fight it and get it.

mattykkkk

Post by mattykkkk » 25 Sep 2021, 20:01

Old man Halafi:

Somaliman is talking about Somaliland. If de facto autonomy didn't work for Somaliland, it will be a hell for TPLF surrounded by enemies on all sides.

Blueshift

Post by Blueshift » 25 Sep 2021, 20:43

Somali man,

Perhaps you are not going to like what I write. When the UN was established after the League of Nations fiasco, the UN formost agenda has been on self-determination. No country owns any part of it at will. To me, the Somali Land seems to a candidate for self determination evaluation. Somalia should not be acting as it owns Somali Land. Somali Land should decide for itself. I say that out of principle. I do not have deep knowledge on either of you.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 25 Sep 2021, 21:22

Blueshift wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 20:43
Somali man,

Perhaps you are not going to like what I write. When the UN was established after the League of Nations fiasco, the UN formost agenda has been on self-determination. No country owns any part of it at will. To me, the Somali Land seems to a candidate for self determination evaluation. Somalia should not be acting as it owns Somali Land. Somali Land should decide for itself. I say that out of principle. I do not have deep knowledge on either of you.

Halafi,

I notice the defeat inflicted upon your wicked cult, aka TPLF, and its bandits is inflicting a brain damage upon you!

Tigray is incapable to feed its starving population, leave alone handing anything to anyone.

Blueshift,

Somaliland has been having more than a self determination, as it has got a de fact independence. Somaliland is not run from Mogadishu, neither has Mogadishu any influence in Somaliland. But despite all this, Somaliland is incapable to succeed.

In addition, what you don't know is that Somaliland is inhabited by about five clans and out of the five, only one clan is entertaining this somaliland project, as it only benefits a few elites of such a single clan - all the rest being against and want to continue to be part of Somalia.

Blueshift

Post by Blueshift » 25 Sep 2021, 21:30

Somali lander ,
:lol:
You force them back, Somalia will be finished. It is easier to recognize them and work with them. I say, let them vote. Give them a referendum.

Somaliman

Post by Somaliman » 25 Sep 2021, 21:51

Blueshift wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 21:30
Somali lander ,
:lol:
You force them back, Somalia will be finished. It is easier to recognize them and work with them. I say, let them vote. Give them a referendum.

I didn't realize that you were such an idiot!

I'm telling you that Somaliland is not run from Somalia and has a de facto independence, yet you're telling me, "let them vote. Give them a referendum." WTF are you smoking! They don't need Somalia to let them vote or hold a referendum, or relocate to Mars.

Stop daydreaming, your Tigray will never succeed to secede from the rest of Ethiopia. You're very lucky if you're not extinct.

Blueshift

Post by Blueshift » 25 Sep 2021, 21:57

Listen idiot,

Somalia has refused to recognize them. The right thing to do is, give them official referendum and recognize them if you have to. Shyyyt head. :twisted: :lol:

Horus
Senior Member+

Post by Horus » 25 Sep 2021, 23:15

It is funny that BigBreak raised the socalled defacto Tigray mirage. The leaked TPLF strategy paper precisely talks about this eventuality except like all of its tiring bla bla it is a day dream visualized in abstract and in the absence of the Ethiopia power. various Somali factions could entertain a defacto existence because each could survive on informal economy and black markets. A defacto Tigray will be a whole different animal. Today, as we speak a single enjera is selling for 50 birr. Ethiopia can lock up the entire fence and gates and throw the keys away. Ergo: Tigray will have to come up with a different set of elites to deal with Ethiopia.There will be no defacto Tigray. Ditto!

BigBreak

Post by BigBreak » 26 Sep 2021, 04:17

Horus I fully support the territorial integrity of Ethiopia as it compliments the independence of Somaliland. We both must fight against Greater Somalia which would incorporate Jijiga and the rest of the Ethiopian Somali region. If you can reassert Ethiopian control over Tigray by crushing the terrorist TPLF then great but if you can't then let's go back to pre November 2020.

Somaliland has been a resounding success for the last 30 years. A peaceful, functioning independent country albeit without international recognition, my country SL is the only democratic country in the Horn.

Comparing Somaliland and Tigray is like comparing apples and oranges. Somaliland has more right to be an independent country then Eritrea let alone any of the 10 regions of Ethiopia. There's no chance Somaliland and Somalia reuniting ever again....it's more likely and IMO better that Somaliland unites with Ethiopia and/or Djibouti.

Tigrayans and Amharas need to reconcile

EthioRedSea

Post by EthioRedSea » 26 Sep 2021, 04:40

For Tigray, it is better to be part of a united democratic Ethiopia, where equality and mutual respect will be the defining features of the Ethiopian State. Thus the old provincial system is better for Tigray. Tigray is landlocked and surrounded by enemies. Sudan cannot be a friend of Christian Tigray. The Amhara might attack Tigray again. Eritrea has become a voed enemy of Tigray, committing genocide and demolishing infrastructure (schools, hospitals, universities, factories etc) when Eritrea's army invaded Tigray in November 2020. I think Tigray is more secured in a democratic unitary state. TPLF criminal can be brought to justice. Tigray people have been abused by TPLF.

BigBreak

Post by BigBreak » 26 Sep 2021, 06:59

Ethiopia should be indivisible, should be a genuinely multi party democracy and must have a different kind of federalism whereby every region is multiethnic plus named after a major city. No region should have its own flag, emblem, (para)military etc. Every political party should be pan Ethiopian not ethnic based.

On the other hand Ethiopia should use ethnic based power sharing at only the national level Lebanon style whereby for example the President of Ethiopia is Amhara, the Prime Minister of Ethiopia is Oromo, the leader of every political party is Tigrayan, the Vice President of Ethiopia is Afar and the speaker of the Upper and Lower Houses of the Ethiopian Parliament should be respectively Somali and Sidama

Blueshift

Post by Blueshift » 27 Sep 2021, 14:30

BIg B, wrote,
On the other hand Ethiopia should use ethnic based power sharing at only the national level Lebanon style whereby for example the President of Ethiopia is Amhara, the Prime Minister of Ethiopia is Oromo, the leader of every political party is Tigrayan, the Vice President of Ethiopia is Afar and the speaker of the Upper and Lower Houses of the Ethiopian Parliament should be respectively Somali and Sidama
You must be out of your wits. Do you think. the amhara would settle for honorary position, namely the presidency. That would never work. Your proposition would bring Ethiopia back to the ethnic center. You just build a democratic process with political parties that are not affiliated to Ethnicity at all levels. Other wise, you are back to square one.

BigBreak

Post by BigBreak » 28 Sep 2021, 09:52

Blueshift wrote:
27 Sep 2021, 14:30
BIg B, wrote,
You must be out of your wits. Do you think. the amhara would settle for honorary position, namely the presidency. That would never work. Your proposition would bring Ethiopia back to the ethnic center. You just build a democratic process with political parties that are not affiliated to Ethnicity at all levels. Other wise, you are back to square one.
Blue I actually believe Ethiopia should follow the example of France whereby the president is powerful and directly elected by citizens yet shares power with an equally strong prime minister that's accountable to both the president and Parliament

Blueshift

Post by Blueshift » 28 Sep 2021, 10:09

Big B.

If the principles of none ethnic based multi party systems are put in place, at least, 40% of the time, an Oromo most likely will win the presidency. 30% of the time, An amhara will win. If the minority groups work together, then 50% of the time, a minority will win. But, that is unlikely. For instance,
a gurage may vote for an amhara, and a Tigrayan may vote for Oromo. In the long run, the Oromos will dominate the most powerful position. The amharas will challenge them to the core. Hence, they will work together. Ethnic affinity is always a problem for the third world countries. But, it wanes over time. With out any assignment any particular position to any group, let evolution take its place.