Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Horus
Senior Member+

Re: Make English the Official Language of Ethiopia

Post by Horus » 23 Sep 2021, 19:46

Roman wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 19:34
English is a global language and majority of knowledge in this world is written in English and it absolutely makes no sense to confuse children by teaching 3 or 4 languages.

No offense to Amhara nationalists here but Amharic is useless - Everyone who wants to be educated from engineers to pilots need to be proficient in English and it's time the country moved on from a village language. Teach Amharic to students in Amhara region who want to learn it but the most important language should be English because it will be used for education, business and communicating with Ethiopians in other regions.

A. Regions should teach English and their ethnic language - ( Ex: Oromia - English, Afaan Oromoo) (Ex: Somali - English, Af Somaali)

Example: Here's a book that used for third year college class in algorithms while studying for computer science at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. ( How hard is to translate that into Amharic? I think its impossible and for a nation which is low in education it makes no sense to deny children to learn from the thousands of published documents written in English.

እዚህ ፎረም ውስጥ ስንት አይነት ደደብ ሰዎች እንዳሉ ያስገርመኛል። የግዕዝ ፊደል ከላቲን ፊደል ሺ ግዜ እንደ ሚቀልና በጣም ያነሰ ቦታ እንደ ሚወስድ ማያቅ ምን ይባላል። ኢትዮጵያ የራሷን ስነስሌት መርሃ ግብር መጻፍ እንጂ እንግሊዝኛ ብሄራዊ ቋንቋ ማድረግ የሚባል ቆሻሻ ሃሳብ ምን አመጣው?

Educator

Post by Educator » 23 Sep 2021, 19:56

Some people's hatred for Amhara is boundless. Grow up please.
Roman wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 19:34
[

Sam Ebalalehu

Post by Sam Ebalalehu » 23 Sep 2021, 20:08

I am really surprised, rather shocked. I thought Roman is someone with a mental issue, and whenever he forgets taking his medication who visits ER to scribble some bizarre idea. It turns out he is a college educated guy.