Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum

TGAA
Member+

Re: ይህ ጦርነት ያስተማረኝ፣ አማረ የኦርሞን መሬት መቼ ነዉ የምመልሰዉ?

Post by TGAA » 22 Sep 2021, 23:16

could you elaborate ?
DefendTheTruth wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 16:53
የድሬ ሮቃ ጀግኖች።

Misraq

Post by Misraq » 22 Sep 2021, 23:36

This man is one of the most respected wonderful man in Wollo. He organized his localities and fought with valour kicking the enemy where it hurts. His diplomatic words together with his stern and unapologetic statement makes him a quality statesman.

DefendTheTeuth, please listen at minute 3:45 and share us what you think of it.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 23 Sep 2021, 03:01

Misraq wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 23:36
This man is one of the most respected wonderful man in Wollo. He organized his localities and fought with valour kicking the enemy where it hurts. His diplomatic words together with his stern and unapologetic statement makes him a quality statesman.

Misraq,

I didn't have and don't have a doubt about the heroism of this man, also very intelligent. He and his commarades are true Heroes of Ethiopia, probably who were not given the chance to show what they can.

My question was about my keen interest to know about the place names in Wollo and Gonder, places which were affected by the war of aggression by the Junta, many of them are in Afan Oromo, like this one Dirre Doqaa.

But I am not going to lodge an appeal to return the "lost territories", at least not before those over there opt to make a claim of secession from Ethiopia, the virus of the day of Ethiopian politics.

TGAA
Member+

Post by TGAA » 23 Sep 2021, 07:29

Talk about the Virus of the day..It is contiguous
It infects both the less evolved and the advanced thinkers alike.

Misraq

Post by Misraq » 23 Sep 2021, 07:53

Brother Defend,

Yes there are many afan Oromo names in Wollo, Gojjam and even in Gonder. No surprise there since recorded history told us at one point in the Zemene Messafint, afan Oromo was even the palace language in Gonder itself. To read Oromo conquest of the then kingdoms, i suggest you read "Zenahu Le Galla" written by Aba Baherey in which many prominont oromo historians quote it as a reference for their own books. Professor Hassan is one example.

Unfortunately for oromo politians, their victimhood story begins starting from Menilik and deliberately ignore the dark side of it before Menilik. But you will need to go further to 15 and 16 century to really understand current Ethiopia

What happened in 16th century? Oromos invaded a swath of territories from their humble begining at around southern Ethiopia (Genale river). The amhara lead kingdom was so weakened by constant warfares with the Adal sultanet and couldn't defend iteself adequately and lost all previously integeral parts of its territories including Gondar. The following are territories Amhara lost permanently (fetagar which is arsi, Harar, entire shoa except north shoa, wellega then damot, keffa and illubanor). All the southern states who were effectively integerated with the central adminstration are cut as a result of Oromos invading Shoa and moving further east to Wellega (then called damot). These southern states preserved the cultures that exhibit that they were once part and parcel of the christian state. these states were the hadiya, the tambaro, janjaro, gurage, maya, kulo, kefficho, konso, welayta..etc) All this still celebrate Meskel in a colourful fashion)

The following are states Amhara recovered in less than 70 years (Gondar, Gojjam, Wollo). The only places that were intact during this onslought were [deleted] Shoa (merhabete, menz, minjar) because they were hills. and Welkayt Tsegede and eastern gondar vicinities. So some names, rivers ..etc still hold the invading forces names. That is all. You invade it doesn't make it yours. Coming to your point, Wollo is core Amhara and specifically called Bete-Amhara in the past. The place is still where core Amhara art, musical and folklore flows like a river. So you guys really did not understood that when Minelik marched to all those areas, it was to get back his forefathers lands and people. Unfortunately Gafat was completely wiped and Gurage was totally diminished. Gurage was one of the largest ethnic group populating massive lands all the way to current Addis Ababa. Now Gurage is reduced to minority due to Oromo invasion. Sodo-Gurage is a mixture of gurages and oromos while 7-house kept its authenticity till this days.

Oromos committed one of the untold genocide in the people's and cultures of medieval Ethiopia and some even say that Oromos need to be shipped back to Kenya where they originally come from. But i don't subscribe to that since states and countries are born out of such fusion everywhere. And it is not practical to do it. Current day Oromo is not authentic Oromo you find in Borena. For me, only Borena and Gudgi are authentic oromo. the rest are mulato (mixed populations). Current day Oromo is a mix of various ethnic group with afan Oromo speaking tongue. That is why you can't really tell apart Oromos from the populations next to them in shoa, wollo, harrar, arsi, bale and wellega, jimma..etc in many parts of the country.

If you read Negasso Godada book, he was able to find his Damote ancestry. Damots are people who lived on Wellega later swallowed by Oromos.

Also if name of place is a denominator, Nazret, Debrezeit, libre Mengist, Asebe Teferi, Addis Alem....etc are Amhara. These cities are currently in Oromia but hold Amhara names

Tadiyalehu

Post by Tadiyalehu » 23 Sep 2021, 10:18

Misraq wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 07:53
Brother Defend,

Yes there are many afan Oromo names in Wollo, Gojjam and even in Gonder. No surprise there since recorded history told us at one point in the Zemene Messafint, afan Oromo was even the palace language in Gonder itself. To read Oromo conquest of the then kingdoms, i suggest you read "Zenahu Le Galla" written by Aba Baherey in which many prominont oromo historians quote it as a reference for their own books. Professor Hassan is one example.

Unfortunately for oromo politians, their victimhood story begins starting from Menilik and deliberately ignore the dark side of it before Menilik. But you will need to go further to 15 and 16 century to really understand current Ethiopia

What happened in 16th century? Oromos invaded a swath of territories from their humble begining at around southern Ethiopia (Genale river). The amhara lead kingdom was so weakened by constant warfares with the Adal sultanet and couldn't defend iteself adequately and lost all previously integeral parts of its territories including Gondar. The following are territories Amhara lost permanently (fetagar which is arsi, Harar, entire shoa except north shoa, wellega then damot, keffa and illubanor). All the southern states who were effectively integerated with the central adminstration are cut as a result of Oromos invading Shoa and moving further east to Wellega (then called damot). These southern states preserved the cultures that exhibit that they were once part and parcel of the christian state. these states were the hadiya, the tambaro, janjaro, gurage, maya, kulo, kefficho, konso, welayta..etc) All this still celebrate Meskel in a colourful fashion)

The following are states Amhara recovered in less than 70 years (Gondar, Gojjam, Wollo). The only places that were intact during this onslought were [deleted] Shoa (merhabete, menz, minjar) because they were hills. and Welkayt Tsegede and eastern gondar vicinities. So some names, rivers ..etc still hold the invading forces names. That is all. You invade it doesn't make it yours. Coming to your point, Wollo is core Amhara and specifically called Bete-Amhara in the past. The place is still where core Amhara art, musical and folklore flows like a river. So you guys really did not understood that when Minelik marched to all those areas, it was to get back his forefathers lands and people. Unfortunately Gafat was completely wiped and Gurage was totally diminished. Gurage was one of the largest ethnic group populating massive lands all the way to current Addis Ababa. Now Gurage is reduced to minority due to Oromo invasion. Sodo-Gurage is a mixture of gurages and oromos while 7-house kept its authenticity till this days.

Oromos committed one of the untold genocide in the people's and cultures of medieval Ethiopia and some even say that Oromos need to be shipped back to Kenya where they originally come from. But i don't subscribe to that since states and countries are born out of such fusion everywhere. And it is not practical to do it. Current day Oromo is not authentic Oromo you find in Borena. For me, only Borena and Gudgi are authentic oromo. the rest are mulato (mixed populations). Current day Oromo is a mix of various ethnic group with afan Oromo speaking tongue. That is why you can't really tell apart Oromos from the populations next to them in shoa, wollo, harrar, arsi, bale and wellega, jimma..etc in many parts of the country.

If you read Negasso Godada book, he was able to find his Damote ancestry. Damots are people who lived on Wellega later swallowed by Oromos.

Also if name of place is a denominator, Nazret, Debrezeit, libre Mengist, Asebe Teferi, Addis Alem....etc are Amhara. These cities are currently in Oromia but hold Amhara names
ስሚ አንቺ Misraq የምትባይ ነፍጠኛ ኮማሪት፤
ታሪክን ለምን ከ16ኛው ክፍለዘመን በኋላ ትጀምሪያለሽ? ለምን ከ15ኛው ክፍለዘመን አትጀምሪም???
እስቲ ከአምደፅዮን በፊት የነበረችዋ አቢሲንያ የት እንደነበረች ንገሪን???
ኦሮሞ በ16ኛ ክፍለዘመን ያደረገው የናንተ መሠሪ ደብተራዎች እንደሚወሸክቱት የመሥፋፋት ዘመቻ ሳይሆን በአምደጽዮን ወረራ የተነጠቀውን የአባቱን ሀገር የማስመለስ የነፃነት ጦርነት ነው። ይሔ ደግሞ ህጋዊም ሞራላዊም ነው።
ልጋጋም ነፍጠኛ !!!

Abere

Post by Abere » 23 Sep 2021, 10:39

በታሪክ ጎዳና ላይ ወደ ኋላ ከተንደረደርን ቅድመ 15ኛ ክፍለ ዘመን የዛሬዋ ወለጋ፣ አሩሲ፣ ሀረር የሚታወቁት በሌላ ስም ነበር። አሁን የሚታወቁበት የኦሮምኛ ስያሜ አባገዳ ዳቦ ቆርሶ በሞጋሳ ያወጣላቸው ስም ነው እንጅ ስር መሰረታቸው ታሪካዊ ውርስ ባህርያቸው (historical DNA) የአማራ ፣ ጉራጌ እና ሌሎች ከነአካቴያቸው አፋቸው የጠፋ ጎሳዎች ናቸው። A dozen of lies don't make a straw size of truth and mountains of fabrications don't produce a page of valid history. Simply self-inflicted inferiority complex ridden Orommuma writes fictional characters of Burqa Zimita volumes does not mean it is history. It is unethical to please thug Orommumas by lying to history. It will be a betrayal to history itself. They can jump over the cliff if they want to. The law of Orommuma ኬኛ does not apply in the realm of history.

Misraq

Post by Misraq » 23 Sep 2021, 10:45

Tadiyalehu

ታሪክ ከቂጥሕ እየመዘዝክ አትውራ ጅሎ። የኢትዬጵያ መሪዎች ይህንን የኦሮሞ ወረራና ፍጅት እንዳይነገር invasion የሚለው migration በሚለው ሕዝብ ለሕዝብ እንዳይገዳደል ደብቀውት አልፈዋል።

የሆነው ግን ኦሮሞ ስልጣኔን አውድሞ ከ14 በላይ የታወቁ ብሄሮችን ለወሬ ነጋሪ ሳይቀር ፈጅቶ ነው ሰፊ መሬት ላይ የተንሰራፋው። ከጠፉት ሕዝቦች መሃከል ሃርላ እና ጋፋት የተባሉት ሕዝቦች ታሪክ አዋቂዎችን ቁጭት ውስጥ የከተተ ነው። ምክንያቱም እነዚህ ሁለት ሕዝቦች በመሃከልኛው በምስራቅና ምዕራብ የሃገሪቱ ክፍሎች ትልቅ ንግድን ያጡዋጡፉ የነበሩ የጠለቁ ሕዝቦች ነበሩ።

ከዚህ በተጨማሪም ደዋሮና የሃድያ kingdoms ስልጣኔን በማያውቀው የያኔው ኦሮሞ እንዲጠፉ ተደርገዋል። ይህን ተከትሎ በአማራ፤ በሲዳማና በሶማሊ መሕበረሰብ ውስጥ ጥልቅ የጋላ ጥላቻ ተፈጥሮ እንደነበረ ግልፅ ነው። ለዚሕም ይመስላል የኦሮሞ ማህበረሰብ በሰፈረበት ቦታ ሁሉ የአካባቢውን ባሕልና እምነት ወርሶ ራሱንም ቀይሮ እንዲኖር የፈቀደው።

Unfortunately for you, Amhata has a tradition of recording events unlike the rest. So your claims on lands that your invaded in the past can trigger past wounds and can distroy you in the process.

Tiago

Post by Tiago » 23 Sep 2021, 13:14

. Tadiyalehu Is agame.
Oh. I like the brief explanation regarding Oromo true background history.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 23 Sep 2021, 15:30

ወንድም ምስራቅ፣

ለማብራርያዉ አመሰግናለሁ።

I am not an historian and what you have said could be totally or partially true. In today's Ethiopia no one can reclaim anything from any one other, we are The Mosaic by now. Have you ever tried to dissolve a Mosaic into its constituents, or even imagined? It is near to impossible. By now I am not even sure from which root my ancestry might have arisen. At the same time knowing history is not damaging, I guess, as far as we may base our knowledge on some objective facts on the ground.

The literatures you mentioned could be factually correct and I am not a qualified authority to dispute or enforce the claims there.

While literature was being forged in front of our very eyes today by the likes of the so called media organisations of the day, like CNN, AFP, Reuters, BBC etc by the way of their በሬ ወለደ account, these will also be used as source of history sometimes down the road to justify some sort of secessionist claims or something else in the future.

Place names, on the other hand, are good sources of history and the present is the key to the past, goes a saying.

15th and 16th centuries are not that pre historic times that we may lack any clues of the sources from back then. People have got genealogies of different kinds and these are to certain extent much better sources of reliable information.

Oromos have left some relics on those places that still bear Oromo names, in the places you listed in your explanation there must have also been some known Amhara names, assuming that the people should have left their relics and other kinds of imprints on the places where they once dwelled on.

I know some places in Showa and there are a number of places which were named in Amharic, much recently. But the problem with that is that we don't find much Amharic names in the ancestors of the current dwellers of the places, for example Addis Aleme (Ejere), Hagere Hiywot (Ambo), Nazreth (Adama) and many more. Where are those relics today, all eradicated? I doubt, we could claim to be much different, but we are all fetched also from the same river, I think.

In some of the sources you mentioned there are also ample references to Moggassa (Adoption) and Oromos didn't even consider those they took capitives unequal to them and of different classes. They adopted them and started to treat them as equals, as such it could be difficult to imagine that people were told to not use their names any more after being taken capitives or what ever.

In the same talken there were many references to Oromo names in places where I raised under this thread, not only place names but also names of the citizens, which are more of Oromo name than any other.

I was just trying to express my keen interest to knowing more about our past, not to make any claim of this or that art, the title was just about trying to attract the attention of the forumers, and it was not in futile, as you can see now. :lol: :lol:

We have a common and more formidable adversary posing a challenge to our country right now and it is not time to divert attentions towards pitty differences in the family.

Let's defend Ethiopia First.I think that is also what the Gentle Man was doing, he deserved our respect and gratitude for defending our country.

Misraq

Post by Misraq » 23 Sep 2021, 17:50

Brother DefendTheTruth

When educated and wise old men say "we ethiopians are one" some twenty or twenty five years ago, they were being rediculed by the ethno-centered die hard tplf, olf and southern ideologues. They just brandished them saying "yedro sreat nafakiwoch". But in actuallity, these people who said "we are one" know the country well. They know places you mentioned that hold names and these people have a family history that was interwind from many ethnicities and they were comfortable with it. These people were collectively given a name and often refered as amhara just because they have unitary view of the country. And TPLF need to hit them because the plan is to make Ethiopia cash cow for Tigray. Unfortunately, the beher-behereseboch game worked really for weyanne to rob the country beyond recogniation and what weyanne gave them was very little incentives.

In my view, there is no ethnic purity in Ethiopia. there is mixes and intermexies despite the degree varies on its extent for each places. Let alone 400 years ago, in just the last 100 years, the entire amhara that made home in current Oromia is melting in the society marrying locals...etc. My uncle for instance moved to arsi from [deleted] shoa after some family fued which will result on the extermination of families (revenge killings). He married an oromo lady there and had 11 children. each of them intern got married gurage, welayta, amhara, oromo...etc. If this happened just in this 50-60 years, imagine the decades and centuries prior to that.

So what we have is languages and way of life distinct from place to place. And that should have never been a source of conflict but the cursed tplf added some venom to it for its own purposes. anyways the future is bright without them. most people don't have issue on identity in ethiopia. if their basic human right is respected, they know the rest can be worked on or improved through time

AbyssiniaLady
Member+

Post by AbyssiniaLady » 23 Sep 2021, 18:03

Amhara have nothing with Harar, Somali peoples are the first inhabitants of Harar and Hararghe region as a whole and it was the Somalis who named Harar, Don't rewrite history.

Sadacha Macca

Post by Sadacha Macca » 23 Sep 2021, 18:21

Misraq wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 07:53
Brother Defend,

Miss Rock,

When you mention one invasion and expansion, mention the Amhara's too, whose ancestors descend from the ''habeshat'' tribe from yemen, and conquered the parts of africa they're in, from the agew/qimant, and others. also mention how, the gurage descend from the tigrinya spekaing areas and are descendants of soldiers of the axumite empire, .. eshi? let's be fair here.
we all conquered lands from each other. conquerors rights remain, that's how ethiopia and other empires were formed. the lands menelik ancestors had, that you say oromo took, were held by others too, then the amhara took it from them, by force. mention that too, eshi? tole?
also mention that, without European firearms and aid, that, there wouldn't be an ethiopia today, because without them, the amhara emperors and their collaborators, were not able to permanently hold oromo land, or even other lands.

Tadiyalehu

Post by Tadiyalehu » 23 Sep 2021, 19:24

Abere wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 10:39
በታሪክ ጎዳና ላይ ወደ ኋላ ከተንደረደርን ቅድመ 15ኛ ክፍለ ዘመን የዛሬዋ ወለጋ፣ አሩሲ፣ ሀረር የሚታወቁት በሌላ ስም ነበር። አሁን የሚታወቁበት የኦሮምኛ ስያሜ አባገዳ ዳቦ ቆርሶ በሞጋሳ ያወጣላቸው ስም ነው እንጅ ስር መሰረታቸው ታሪካዊ ውርስ ባህርያቸው (historical DNA) የአማራ ፣ ጉራጌ እና ሌሎች ከነአካቴያቸው አፋቸው የጠፋ ጎሳዎች ናቸው። A dozen of lies don't make a straw size of truth and mountains of fabrications don't produce a page of valid history. Simply self-inflicted inferiority complex ridden Orommuma writes fictional characters of Burqa Zimita volumes does not mean it is history. It is unethical to please thug Orommumas by lying to history. It will be a betrayal to history itself. They can jump over the cliff if they want to. The law of Orommuma ኬኛ does not apply in the realm of history.
Abere
ታሪክ የማታውቅ ከሆነ አፍህን ዝጋ! ከአምደጽዮን ዘመን በፊት አቢሲንያ የበሬ ግምባር የማታህል ከአባይ ሸለቆ በስተምሥራቅ/በሰሜን ወሎ አከባቢ የምትገኝ ኩርማን የቆማጦች ምድርበዳ ናት።
ሌላው፤
ከዚህ በፊት ነግሬሃለሁ! ስለማታውቀው ቃል 99 ጊዜ "ኦሮሙማ" ... "ኦሮሙማ" እያልክ አቦሬህን አትክፈት!
ክፍታፍ ነፍጠኛ!

Tadiyalehu

Post by Tadiyalehu » 23 Sep 2021, 19:39

Misraq wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 10:45

Tadiyalehu

ታሪክ ከቂጥሕ እየመዘዝክ አትውራ ጅሎ። የኢትዬጵያ መሪዎች ይህንን የኦሮሞ ወረራና ፍጅት እንዳይነገር invasion የሚለው migration በሚለው ሕዝብ ለሕዝብ እንዳይገዳደል ደብቀውት አልፈዋል።

የሆነው ግን ኦሮሞ ስልጣኔን አውድሞ ከ14 በላይ የታወቁ ብሄሮችን ለወሬ ነጋሪ ሳይቀር ፈጅቶ ነው ሰፊ መሬት ላይ የተንሰራፋው። ከጠፉት ሕዝቦች መሃከል ሃርላ እና ጋፋት የተባሉት ሕዝቦች ታሪክ አዋቂዎችን ቁጭት ውስጥ የከተተ ነው። ምክንያቱም እነዚህ ሁለት ሕዝቦች በመሃከልኛው በምስራቅና ምዕራብ የሃገሪቱ ክፍሎች ትልቅ ንግድን ያጡዋጡፉ የነበሩ የጠለቁ ሕዝቦች ነበሩ።

ከዚህ በተጨማሪም ደዋሮና የሃድያ kingdoms ስልጣኔን በማያውቀው የያኔው ኦሮሞ እንዲጠፉ ተደርገዋል። ይህን ተከትሎ በአማራ፤ በሲዳማና በሶማሊ መሕበረሰብ ውስጥ ጥልቅ የጋላ ጥላቻ ተፈጥሮ እንደነበረ ግልፅ ነው። ለዚሕም ይመስላል የኦሮሞ ማህበረሰብ በሰፈረበት ቦታ ሁሉ የአካባቢውን ባሕልና እምነት ወርሶ ራሱንም ቀይሮ እንዲኖር የፈቀደው።

Unfortunately for you, Amhata has a tradition of recording events unlike the rest. So your claims on lands that your invaded in the past can trigger past wounds and can distroy you in the process.
ቅዘናም!
አማራ ልብ እና የማድረግ አቅም ቢኖረው ... ኦሮሞን ብቻ አይደለም የአፍሪካ ቀንድ ህዝብ በጠቅላላ ከምድረገጽ አጥፍቶ ብቻውን መሬት ወሮ ለመኖር ወደ ኋላ የማይል ጭራቅ እንደሆነ ጠንቅቀን እናውቃለን።
ችግሩ፤
አማራና ጅብ ሰፊ አፍና ሆድ እንጂ ልብ የለውም።

sun
Member+

Post by sun » 23 Sep 2021, 20:02

DefendTheTruth wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 03:01
Misraq wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 23:36

Misraq,

I didn't have and don't have a doubt about the heroism of this man, also very intelligent. He and his commarades are true Heroes of Ethiopia, probably who were not given the chance to show what they can.

My question was about my keen interest to know about the place names in Wollo and Gonder, places which were affected by the war of aggression by the Junta, many of them are in Afan Oromo, like this one Dirre Doqaa.

But I am not going to lodge an appeal to return the "lost territories", at least not before those over there opt to make a claim of secession from Ethiopia, the virus of the day of Ethiopian politics.
It is "Dirre Roqaa" not "dirre Doqaa" as you put it. Dirre Roqaa is perfect Oromo name. Tortoraa and Roqaa are Synonyms (equivalents)