Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
sesame
Member+

Re: Jawar Mohammed: He Played His Cards Wrong

Post by sesame » 11 Sep 2021, 10:39

Jawar was afflicted with what I call the "Agame syndrome", he started to believe his own lies. He over blew his own importance and started to have megalomaniacal views of himself. He thought that he was the one who got rid of the TPLF thugs and thought that he could get rid of Abiy and his PP as well. He, like his Agame friends, was the author of his own downfall. The first rule of life is "Know thyself". Those who don't know their limitations don't live long.

Blueshift

Post by Blueshift » 11 Sep 2021, 10:51

The Red man, you have a point there.
My view, Jewar is an Arusi type Oromo. Which means he preferred an independent muslim dominated Oromo. Abbiy may be from Jimma, but he is more like Shewa Oromo, the Gobena types. In other words, he viewed himself more Ethiopian than anyone else. Jewar is an idiot in a way. After all what he has been through because of TPLF, he was allowing to be influenced by TPLF. Abbiy could easily have implicated him in the killings of many Ethiopians thorough his influential tacit approval to the rebellious genocidal youth. I admit, I don't know much, but that is my impression. Good luck to him. He could have been premier politician in Ethiopia.

Sam Ebalalehu

Post by Sam Ebalalehu » 11 Sep 2021, 11:03

Sesame got it right. But I like to add two points. Ayatollah has a very limited knowledge about Ethiopia. In a country of more than 100 million, eighty or so ethnic groups, to be national leader you have to operate beyond your comfort zone. He however chose to dramatize the Oromo issue, which he failed to acknowledge it is complicated to begin with.
Second, he chose to interject subtly religion in the mix.
The very moment he returned to Addis, he went to Mecca. He is Moslem, and he has a right to make that journey. But I have a problem with the timing. To me it seems he wanted to appeal to the moslem young radicals for support.
It showed. During the uprising he instigated the damage on property lost, lives lost happened to be in cities where the Ethiopian moslem population numbers in great number.
Trying to appeal to radicals of a certain ethnicity had its own drawbacks. It would fire up an opposite group in opposition.
In general , Ayatollah might be a good student, but he has not been cut for politics.