Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
teodroseIII

Tough Medanit for My Fellow Ethiopians: Time to Put Away Childish Things and Grow Up

Post by teodroseIII » 06 Sep 2021, 16:38

Consider this some tough love from someone who loves Ethiopia dearly and respects our elders and our heritage. However, it is time for some truths to be spoken. You can take my words as harm of you can take them for what they are, bitter medanit (medicine). For the longest time, elders in Ethiopia kept our country together, upheld our heritage and were the glue that kept communities from destroying one another. Not anymore, elders have become Ethiopia’s crucible.

When the Derg deposed Emperor Haile Selassie in 1974, they targeted the elders as they murdered tens of thousands of community leaders in order to destabilize my birth land. Centuries of passed down stories and aspects of our culture that were preserved for thousands of years were buried in the same unmarked graves where countless professors, lawyers, doctors and civic leaders were entombed. They did this for a reason, a household without parents enables criminals to easily manipulate orphans...continued...

READ FULL ARTICLE AT: https://ghionjournal.com/tough-medanit- ... thiopians/