Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
teodroseIII

An Open Letter to Ethiopians: the Pestilence of Pride and the Plague of Indifference

Post by teodroseIII » 25 Jun 2021, 20:05

What I learned over the past thirteen years is that my initial baptism by fire by my community was not an outlier but the norm. Don’t get me wrong, when it comes to kindness and giving to others, Ethiopians are as unselfish as they come. Our culture is rooted in collectivism; we eat together, we pray together, we dance together and when death arrives we mourn together. Yet, beyond the welcoming smiles and the three kisses on the cheeks we greet each other with, there is an underlying level of loathing that we have towards one another.

This veiled malice we display towards our own people has only intensified the more we endeavor in ethnocentrism and swallow the arsenic of Western style identity politics. Ethiopia has riches of talent and a poverty of imagination; the number of brilliant minds from doctors, engineers, thinkers and beyond within our community is truly astounding. Yet we suffer as a people because we refuse to work together and insist on a go-it-alone attitude. Collaboration creates wealth but so many Ethiopians are so intent on competing that we keep losing no matter how much we strive to succeed...continued...

READ FULL ARTICLE AT: https://ghionjournal.com/open-letter-to ... ifference/