Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
DefendTheTruth
Member+

In Defense of Prof. Merera Gudina

Post by DefendTheTruth » 21 Jun 2021, 16:13

The current change many seem to be in a celebration mode today, specially after the peacful holding of national election, didn’t happen overnight, it is a result of many years of resistance and political campaign on part of those who decided to get involved and take bold decisions and extra steps, at times risking many of their precious possessions and even lives.

Prof. Merera Gudina is, in my view, one of those who decided to step in and straighten what was starting to go in the wrong direction according to their assessment of the situation back then. No one may deny that he was on the receiving end from all sides for his out of the steps political discourse of the early days of TPLF’s rule in the country. I think he was the first to stand up and say Oromo’s future is in Ethiopia and Oromo can’t be a minority that should contemplate about seeking liberation from Ethiopia and founded a political party to fight for this goal. Those days many considered him, like they do today, that he is out of sync and taking odd steps.

Interestingly, the party in power today, former OPDO, was the one which was cheering about the Oromo’s homeland, in sync with TPLF’s own political agenda in the country back then, while Prof. Merera Gudina was trying to teach them that such contemplation is on the wrong path and possibly dangerous for the people they claim to defend themselves.

Today many things have changed and former OPDO itself became the central advocate of a united Ethiopia and considering other Oromo political activists as extremists or some other kinds of actors of the peripheral fields. Here it must be clear that the political space the party of Prof. Merera used to occupy has been overtaken by the former periphery players. If not by design, then certainly by accident his party has lost the space it used to have to the OPDO by now. This is not an easy thing, it is not about personal comfort of a single individual but also that of the many followers and co-players.

As if that is not painful enough many are now trying to criticize and demean someone who was already an accomplished politician before these his critiques may have understood the word politics itself well, including myself.

From the government side too his contributions have merely found any recognition and even he was not offered a meaningful slot in the new power structure, let alone many of his followers and other party officials, while many who used to be abroad and far away are the top political advisors to the high ranking officials of the current government, including the PM or themselves high-ranking officials of this government.

I leave the decision to the readers about if the contribution of Prof. Merera has been less than those who were offered different positions and benefits but he has tried to maneuver his political future by also deciding to work with the likes of Jawar Mohammed, a political novice when compared with the giant in the field who saw what is happening today before decades. He is a pioneer in this regard.

Gratefulness and acknowledgement of the contributions of people towards achieving what we celebrate and benefit from for all of us at the end has never been the hallmark of Ethiopian politics, for good or bad. That is unfortunate in my view.

temari

Re: In Defense of Prof. Merera Gudina

Post by temari » 21 Jun 2021, 16:27

I think I agree on most of what you said. One thing really I don't understand about Prof. Merera is that he is one of those well known politicians who have been participating in almost all the previous TPLF elections in which TPLF/EPRDF always won 99% or 100%. It is mind boggling to me that the prof. was willing to participate in all of those sham elections but boycott the only fairly democratic election. If he had done the same previously, I would have had less problem understanding him but now I'm simply puzzled.
DefendTheTruth wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 16:13
The current change many seem to be in a celebration mode today, specially after the peacful holding of national election, didn’t happen overnight, it is a result of many years of resistance and political campaign on part of those who decided to get involved and take bold decisions and extra steps, at times risking many of their precious possessions and even lives.

Prof. Merera Gudina is, in my view, one of those who decided to step in and straighten what was starting to go in the wrong direction according to their assessment of the situation back then. No one may deny that he was on the receiving end from all sides for his out of the steps political discourse of the early days of TPLF’s rule in the country. I think he was the first to stand up and say Oromo’s future is in Ethiopia and Oromo can’t be a minority that should contemplate about seeking liberation from Ethiopia and founded a political party to fight for this goal. Those days many considered him, like they do today, that he is out of sync and taking odd steps.

Interestingly, the party in power today, former OPDO, was the one which was cheering about the Oromo’s homeland, in sync with TPLF’s own political agenda in the country back then, while Prof. Merera Gudina was trying to teach them that such contemplation is on the wrong path and possibly dangerous for the people they claim to defend themselves.

Today many things have changed and former OPDO itself became the central advocate of a united Ethiopia and considering other Oromo political activists as extremists or some other kinds of actors of the peripheral fields. Here it must be clear that the political space the party of Prof. Merera used to occupy has been overtaken by the former periphery players. If not by design, then certainly by accident his party has lost the space it used to have to the OPDO by now. This is not an easy thing, it is not about personal comfort of a single individual but also that of the many followers and co-players.

As if that is not painful enough many are now trying to criticize and demean someone who was already an accomplished politician before these his critiques may have understood the word politics itself well, including myself.

From the government side too his contributions have merely found any recognition and even he was not offered a meaningful slot in the new power structure, let alone many of his followers and other party officials, while many who used to be abroad and far away are the top political advisors to the high ranking officials of the current government, including the PM or themselves high-ranking officials of this government.

I leave the decision to the readers about if the contribution of Prof. Merera has been less than those who were offered different positions and benefits but he has tried to maneuver his political future by also deciding to work with the likes of Jawar Mohammed, a political novice when compared with the giant in the field who saw what is happening today before decades. He is a pioneer in this regard.

Gratefulness and acknowledgement of the contributions of people towards achieving what we celebrate and benefit from for all of us at the end has never been the hallmark of Ethiopian politics, for good or bad. That is unfortunate in my view.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 21 Jun 2021, 16:55

temari wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 16:27
I think I agree on most of what you said. One thing really I don't understand about Prof. Merera is that he is one of those well known politicians who have been participating in almost all the previous TPLF elections in which TPLF/EPRDF always won 99% or 100%. It is mind boggling to me that the prof. was willing to participate in all of those sham elections but boycott the only fairly democratic election. If he had done the same previously, I would have had less problem understanding him but now I'm simply puzzled.
Did you also try to imagine and understand what it means when the political space you used to have been taken away from you?

It could be just like you used to have an house but at sometime somebody comes in and dislodge you out and takes it over, but then still also expects you or ask you about why you don't get to your house, as if nothing has changed, in analogy?

I am the first here who tried to quesiton about his decision to work with Jawar Mohammed before the latter was thrown to where he duly belongs to now, in my view, but at the same time I can't deny that the Prof. was just compelled to do something to rescue his political career, for which he paid dearly, I think he even lost his brother at a very young age to the "revolution", if I am not mistaken, and at one time he was saying in public that his party was denied any support from anyside and he was forced to pay the rent of its office from his own pocket to just keep the party afloat.

Meles Zenawi and many other TPLF officials hated the man to the core of their bone, it was not without a reason, in my view. Meles liked and respected Lencho Leta, on the other hand, and Lencho Leta didn't make it a secret that he was in contact with him all along.

Y3n3g3s3w

Post by Y3n3g3s3w » 21 Jun 2021, 18:10

Dr Merara was one the few I had high regard for his role in exposing TPLF .And I also like his tactfulness in how he put himself out of harms way except that one time which lead him to prison for just being with Dr Birhanu and Ana Gomez(talking about Ana , where is she, does anyone know-I honestly missed her) Things were going well with Dr Merara: any media, both Ethiopian and international ones rushed to him to get his opinion on situations until this ከይሲ Jawar showed up in Ethiopia with his crazy idea of separating Ethiopia and Oromo under the banner of everthing ኬኛ which scares the hell out of every body incuding me . How he ended up abandoning his long held beleive of togetherness of Ethiopians and joined the evil ኬኛ ideal Jawar still a puzzle to me. I honestly couldn"t beleive my eyes seeing Dr Merara standing with the ወጠጤ Jawar and demonizing everything of Ethiopia. My final prayer for him is that he comes back to his true self and we wish him long life in his retirement age so that other young Ethiopians look up to him like Ato Bulcha Demeksa! Amen!

TGAA
Member+

Post by TGAA » 21 Jun 2021, 19:08

DTT, Prof. Merara Gudina is a sociologist and a long time politician, he is not a clueless political huck who just popped up on the political stage out of the blue. His political contribution during the 27 years of struggle against TPLF is recognized by all that is why his 360 degree change to became ant-Ethiopan Jawar Mohamed's tutelage with conviction is so upsetting . Since he is the man anyone would consider as wise both by experience and study -- no one can contribute his change as poorly considered decision . He knew what he was doing . And even now he is promoting both internally and when he gets an opportunity internationally to discredit Ethiopia on behalf of jawar and weyanes . So which one is his true stand ? His current stand or the stand he took when he was in jaw of weyanes? I think his true stand is the stand he has now .Till
Abiy came to power,he felt no longer powerless and he thought that jawar and Bekel Gerba on his side he can come out spewing his anti-Ethiopian without shame. His political funny gaffs are aimed to cover the vionome he is carrying around. To be honest, I rather take Bekele Gerba or Jawar cause I know for what they stood for and they don't bother to cover it . He, however , is a typical trojan horse, thus deadly more than any other. I also don't agree DTT reasoning that he went off extreme because his political stances were appropriated by Belsegna Oroms. There were plenty of issues he could have promoted and argued against Belsegena and could have gained more representation in the parliament more than any time, but he chose not to . How could we glorify the so called his" past contributions" if his end is to accomplish the exact opposite of what we thought he stood for .

Selam/

Post by Selam/ » 21 Jun 2021, 20:12

Your analogy of Merera’s political displacement with termination of tenancy is absurd. Constituents are not something cut in stone that you can purchase on the market and claim exclusive ownership. Politics is fluid. If you perform well, constituents will flock to you but if they notice a fatigue and boredom in you, they will swing toward the more appealing and vibrant candidate.

Merera had his spark back in the days but he committed a political suicide when he joined a hateful crackhead juvenile. Coupled with his declining energy and charisma, his political career basically came to an end. So, he should blame himself for his party’s demise, not Abiy.
DefendTheTruth wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 16:55
temari wrote:
Did you also try to imagine and understand what it means when the political space you used to have been taken away from you?

It could be just like you used to have an house but at sometime somebody comes in and dislodge you out and takes it over, but then still also expects you or ask you about why you don't get to your house, as if nothing has changed, in analogy?

I am the first here who tried to quesiton about his decision to work with Jawar Mohammed before the latter was thrown to where he duly belongs to now, in my view, but at the same time I can't deny that the Prof. was just compelled to do something to rescue his political career, for which he paid dearly, I think he even lost his brother at a very young age to the "revolution", if I am not mistaken, and at one time he was saying in public that his party was denied any support from anyside and he was forced to pay the rent of its office from his own pocket to just keep the party afloat.

Meles Zenawi and many other TPLF officials hated the man to the core of their bone, it was not without a reason, in my view. Meles liked and respected Lencho Leta, on the other hand, and Lencho Leta didn't make it a secret that he was in contact with him all along.

sun
Member+

Post by sun » 21 Jun 2021, 21:03

Selam/ wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 20:12
Your analogy of Merera’s political displacement with termination of tenancy is absurd. Constituents are not something cut in stone that you can purchase on the market and claim exclusive ownership. Politics is fluid. If you perform well, constituents will flock to you but if they notice a fatigue and boredom in you, they will swing toward the more appealing and vibrant candidate.

Merera had his spark back in the days but he committed a political suicide when he joined a hateful crackhead juvenile. Coupled with his declining energy and charisma, his political career basically came to an end. So, he should blame himself for his party’s demise, not Abiy.
DefendTheTruth wrote:
temari wrote:

Everything said, now who owns Dr. Marara,s party? Even now during Dr. Abiy's administration Marara says his party will surely participate but then next time he comes out to say that he will not participate. Has he been waiting for some sort of miracle game changer who may drop in and reverse the whole game just like some people were also waiting with their fingers crossed the "second coming of their Lord"?

Prof. Beyene Petros quickly pulled out his side of the coalition and gladly participated in the current democratic election. In that sense Prof. Beyene Petros became part of the solution while Prof. Marara placed his organization as being part of the problem. Prof. Marara,s participation might have even helped those behind bars whether direct and or indirect. How can sending his boys to makale to get indoctrinated and then on coming back shouting high and loud to the PM, for him to leave his post just like that a leadership post to which the PM was elected with 100% YES vote. I think that Marara's wisdom failed him miserably even though he was not alone in this.

Selam/

Post by Selam/ » 21 Jun 2021, 23:01

I give credit to Beyene Petros for creating the first meaningful opposition coalition called “አማራጭ ሃይሎች” early on when woyane’s true color started to come out. Unfortunately, he flipped flopped several times and lost my respect. He voted for referendum of Eritrean’s independence while prof Asrat abstained (ironically, his brother’s whereabout is still unknown); he was appointed by woyane leeches as Deputy of Minister of Education; they later fired him along with 40 AAU professors; he is now an advisor to Abiy Ahmed. Shame that he abandoned his genetic expertise.

sun wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 21:03
Selam/ wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 20:12

DefendTheTruth wrote:
temari wrote:

Everything said, now who owns Dr. Marara,s party? Even now during Dr. Abiy's administration Marara says his party will surely participate but then next time he comes out to say that he will not participate. Has he been waiting for some sort of miracle game changer who may drop in and reverse the whole game just like some people were also waiting with their fingers crossed the "second coming of their Lord"?

Prof. Beyene Petros quickly pulled out his side of the coalition and gladly participated in the current democratic election. In that sense Prof. Beyene Petros became part of the solution while Prof. Marara placed his organization as being part of the problem. Prof. Marara,s participation might have even helped those behind bars whether direct and or indirect. How can sending his boys to makale to get indoctrinated and then on coming back shouting high and loud to the PM, for him to leave his post just like that a leadership post to which the PM was elected with 100% YES vote. I think that Marara's wisdom failed him miserably even though he was not alone in this.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 22 Jun 2021, 02:58

TGAA wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 19:08
DTT, Prof. Merara Gudina is a sociologist and a long time politician, he is not a clueless political huck who just popped up on the political stage out of the blue. His political contribution during the 27 years of struggle against TPLF is recognized by all that is why his 360 degree change to became ant-Ethiopan Jawar Mohamed's tutelage with conviction is so upsetting . Since he is the man anyone would consider as wise both by experience and study -- no one can contribute his change as poorly considered decision . He knew what he was doing . And even now he is promoting both internally and when he gets an opportunity internationally to discredit Ethiopia on behalf of jawar and weyanes . So which one is his true stand ? His current stand or the stand he took when he was in jaw of weyanes? I think his true stand is the stand he has now .Till
Abiy came to power,he felt no longer powerless and he thought that jawar and Bekel Gerba on his side he can come out spewing his anti-Ethiopian without shame. His political funny gaffs are aimed to cover the vionome he is carrying around. To be honest, I rather take Bekele Gerba or Jawar cause I know for what they stood for and they don't bother to cover it . He, however , is a typical trojan horse, thus deadly more than any other. I also don't agree DTT reasoning that he went off extreme because his political stances were appropriated by Belsegna Oroms. There were plenty of issues he could have promoted and argued against Belsegena and could have gained more representation in the parliament more than any time, but he chose not to . How could we glorify the so called his" past contributions" if his end is to accomplish the exact opposite of what we thought he stood for .
I don't think it is difficult to see what he has contributed in practical terms to know where his stand is. He championed the whole of his political career for the unity of Ethiopia and democratic rights for its citizens. That cause was latter on picked up by many in the field including the current rulers of the country and we reached at a stage (condition), which many claim to celebrate, which I also do. If I see something to celebrate, then how do I fail to see how that came to be to the reality?

So, how on earth do you fail to recognize his contribution and recognize his stand if something else is not blurring what you should be able to see?

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 22 Jun 2021, 14:31

Prof. Merera is someone, whose idea has won without he himself gained anything from the win. This is not an easy situation for any political party or its officer.

Failing to take this fact into consideration when trying to criticize someone of such a calibre may show the shallowness of the purported critique.

If the question is about whether he might have had a better option other than the one he took currently and finally decided to boycott the national election, this could be debatable and I might have also come to a different option. But that doesn't mean he is totally wrong, foreget about those who are trying to accuse him of espousing an adverse attitude or goal against Ethiopia, which is simply atrocious, to say the least.

He is someone who founded a political party to defend Ethiopia while also demanding the rightfull place for the Oromo people in the country and that is I think what the current administration in the country is promoting, if I am not mistaken. You can't celebrate the current administrations achievements without duly recognizing the contributions of those who resolutely fought for the same cause early on.

DefendTheTruth
Member+

Post by DefendTheTruth » 22 Jun 2021, 18:05

I didn't see the following interview with the professor when I shared my views about him under this thread but for the sake of clarity and balanced views of the readers I decided to share the link here as well. I just finished watching the video, after I came across it in the internet accidentally.

At the end of the day, objectivity is what I am trying to promote in my views in this forum. The unity of the country shouldn't be the bargaining chip in my view.

sun
Member+

Post by sun » 22 Jun 2021, 19:35

DefendTheTruth wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 18:05
I didn't see the following interview with the professor when I shared my views about him under this thread but for the sake of clarity and balanced views of the readers I decided to share the link here as well. I just finished watching the video, after I came across it in the internet accidentally.

At the end of the day, objectivity is what I am trying to promote in my views in this forum. The unity of the country shouldn't be the bargaining chip in my view.

To me it seems that Dr. Marara is loosing what is left of his mind because with one tongue he is saying that Ethiopia will disintegrate in the next few months. Again with another tongue he is saying that Ethiopia must arrange another election in the coming six months. These are simple copy cut tplf standard propaganda arts and crafts from the caves. Can the man use even a small part of his own mind instead of sitting with his fingers crossed and waiting for the tplf to come back and crown him? :lol: :lol:

Prof. Marara is only making himself a perfect laughingstock in the eyes of all Ethiopians who have just gone out in droves and elected their leaders in a free and fair democratic election with great pleasure. Even the respected and veteran Ethiopian politician, Obbo Bulcha demeksa, (90 years old) did cast his nice vote for Mamma Ethiopia, with great pleasure and without any question asked. THUMBS UP!
:P

TGAA
Member+

Post by TGAA » 22 Jun 2021, 19:58

DefendTheTruth wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 14:31
Prof. Merera is someone, whose idea has won without he himself gained anything from the win. This is not an easy situation for any political party or its officer.

Failing to take this fact into consideration when trying to criticize someone of such a calibre may show the shallowness of the purported critique.

If the question is about whether he might have had a better option other than the one he took currently and finally decided to boycott the national election, this could be debatable and I might have also come to a different option. But that doesn't mean he is totally wrong, foreget about those who are trying to accuse him of espousing an adverse attitude or goal against Ethiopia, which is simply atrocious, to say the least.

He is someone who founded a political party to defend Ethiopia while also demanding the rightfull place for the Oromo people in the country and that is I think what the current administration in the country is promoting, if I am not mistaken. You can't celebrate the current administrations achievements without duly recognizing the contributions of those who resolutely fought for the same cause early on.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Granted that he fought for the unity of Ethiopia while he advocated for rightful place of Oromos in Ethiopian state. Bulcha Demeksa others also articulated the same vision for Ethiopia . So Merrara Gudina is one of many. So no one is denying the fact he contributed a great deal to the vision that was stated above , however ; how do you square that with role has played for the past 3 and half years. If the Ethiopia unity is one of his political convictions, this has been his time to shine , but chose to be Jawar's pupate . His political champagne had been used as the stage for the most virulent form of tribal propaganda. He is a person of "intellect" so there is noting in his political move that has not been calculated. We give credit to those who used to be " weyane " cadres for admitting their mistakes and for attempting to right the wrong .we accepted them with open arms to lead us , but Merara went from being an ideal political leader to be a pupil of the most radical ant-Ethiopian juvenile pompous. You are making a wake ego argument by saying that because his political mantle has been taken by new comers - his slid into radicalism is forgivable or Understandable . Actually he must have been proud of his accomplishment that his idea has gotten a wide acceptance among Ethiopian Oromos ; the sucess of politician depends on that, and how he missed that is the million dollar question . On balance he has done much good than bad, but he could have finished his long political journey with a bang rather than a whimper.