Ethiopian News, Current Affairs and Opinion Forum
Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Alexander Isak sends Liverpool fans wild with Sweden display vs Spain at Euro 2020

Post by Zmeselo » 15 Jun 2021, 17:54

Alexander Isak sends Liverpool fans wild with Sweden display vs Spain at Euro 2020

The 21-year-old is currently on the books of Spanish side Real Sociedad and impressed against Luis Enrique’s side

By Connor O'Neill

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... s-20816137

14 JUN 2021

ALEXANDER ISAK, A LONG-TERM REPLACEMENT FOR ROBERTO FIRMINO

Liverpool fans have sent a clear transfer message to their club’s board following the display of Alexander Isak for Sweden against Spain.

Luis Enrique’s side kicked-off their Euro 2020 campaign against Sweden at the Estadio La Cartuja in Seville tonight with the game finishing goalless despite their dominance.

And despite all the focus being on Enrique’s side going into the game, it was Isak who stole the show with an impressive performance.

The 21-year-old, born in Stockholm, is currently on the books of Spanish side Real Sociedad.

The forward was the only La Liga representative in his side’s squad against the three-time European Championships winners.

He enjoyed an eye-catching 2020/21 season with La Real, netting 17 league goals, as the Basque giants sealed a Europa League spot.

And his impressive performance here lead to Liverpool fans https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/liverpool-fc taking to Twitter to call on their side to make a move this summer given a striker is seen as an area to improve in the window.

Back in 2016, Swedish icon Zlatan Ibrahimovic is said to have recommended him to both Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain.

In a very short assessment, former Manchester United star Ibrahimovic said:
I have seen him in action and he is fantastic.

Sociedad paid Borussia Dortmund £6million to take Isak in 2019 but he is now rated at around 10 times that figure.

Dortmund are understood to have an agreement in place to re-sign the player at the end of each season for around £25m, but Isak has said he does not want to return to the Bundesliga club.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Re: Alexander Isak sends Liverpool fans wild with Sweden display vs Spain at Euro 2020

Post by Zmeselo » 15 Jun 2021, 20:19

"When the really big clubs came, they lost their minds"

By Noa Bachner

https://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/ ... e-man-det/

(Software translation)

5 jun 2021

It feels like Alexander Isak has already been through everything, when he arrives for his first championship.

Behind the story of one of Europe's greatest talents, lies another story.

It is about Beyblade, his own national anthem and phone calls to old teachers from a certain high jump talent who grows up 750 meters from the National Arena.

This is the story of the prodigy from Bagartorp.

The preschool is called Dragonen.

William Nilsson sits on a wooden bench and pulls his foot in the gravel. He's waiting to be picked up. It is just after 4 pm one afternoon in the early 2000s and it is only twenty minutes until the football training starts in Hagaparken.

It's not just any training. It's the first. William is only five years old, and far more enthusiastic than the guy sitting next to him.

In fact, Williams' mother has been nagging a bit. Alexander Isak is not very keen on this.

He is not the most easily persuaded, the five-year-old Alexander Isak. Not if one is to believe the testimonies from here. Most describe a specific person. Another childhood friend, who does not want to appear by name here, remembers a children's party. While waiting for the juice to be served, Alexander gets tired of waiting and orders a parent to pour him a glass. It will be no. The other children look with wide eyes while Isak climbs up on the table and stands in protest. He got the juice shortly afterwards.

William Nilsson, Alexander Isak's friend. Photo: OLLE SPORRONG

Maybe a few percent of the upcoming European Championship finals will be decided that afternoon on the playground outside Dragonen?

Williams' mother wins the tug of war, Alexander Isak follows. Once the two friends have been transported and finished training, the tones are different. Practicing football is really fun.

Sixteen years later, William is looking at a weather-beaten fence in Bagartorp.

Things have changed here. The summer has taken over the small residential area and everything has bloomed out. The dragon has changed its name, now the preschool is called Sagolandet instead, and Williams' best friend feels no doubt before football, but gets ready to play against Armenia in the arena we almost see in the corner of our eye.
Alex is a friend that everyone needs,
he says.

It's just this jersey, I've asked for.

William is wearing an Atletico Madrid shirt. Diego Costa's name and number are on the back.
So, I've never asked him for something like this. Except this one. I actually told him in January last year that Diego Costa is my favorite player and asked if he could solve it for me. Then it took several months. After the last match of the season, it rang in the evening. I looked at the phone and saw that it was Alex on FaceTime. So he just held up the shirt and said, "I fixed it,"
says William.

He lights up and pulls a little on his shirt while he tells.
It's Costa's extra shirt, the one you have next to it if it breaks or there is blood or something. I was just screaming. I had completely forgotten about it, it was not something I thought about. It's just this shirt I've asked for.
William leads us down a short walk and into the heart of Bagartorp, to what is best described as the starting point for the story of not only Sweden, but one of Europe's most promising football players.

Everyone I meet talks about the "pitch", an excavated former gravel floor in the morning sun's shadow of Friends arena, between the residential buildings, Sagolandet and Ulriksdal's commuter train station. It is described by many as a pile of sand with a fence. At some point along the way, the surface is replaced with artificial grass, but it is a bit unclear. Now it does not exist in its original form at all.

Alexander Isak lived in Bagartorpsringen 64 as a child. Photo: OLLE SPORRONG

Bagartorp in Solna. Foto: OLLE SPORRONG

But that's where it's happening when it's happening. The pitch itself is located a hundred meters from Bagartorpsringen 64, where Alexander Isak grows up, and almost exactly the same distance from Bagartorpsringen 72, where William Nilsson's early childhood takes place.

Anyone is not allowed to join, not everyone gets a place, always five-on-five. Both Alexander and William spend an entire summer off the field, patiently waiting for an invitation. Admir Catovic, who is an A-team player in AIK around 2010, lives in one of the high-rise buildings that cast long shadows over the area. If you can play with him, "the week is done", William remembers when he looks up at what used to be Catovic's window.
What magic, then. His technique was incredible,
he says.

He describes two guys who play for their lives every time a place opens up. It was a matter of "bidding on a show". Over time, people start knocking on the door. Does Wille want to play? Do you want Alex? Both come as if shot from a cannon if they are not busy with another favorite occupation: Ping on all the doors in all the stairwells and run from there.
Otherwise it was pretty basic. We changed Pokémon cards and worked on Beyblade.
What is Beyblade?
A spinning top. You pulled something and it spun.
They met each other and competed on who had the best Beyblade. It's hard to explain.

Who had the best Beyblade?
A guy was completely sick then. He moved here a few years later. He was really sick. Unbelievable. Which beyblade.
And then we listened to "From the heart" with Highwon. When it came on, it was chaos. Everyone's favorite song. Our national anthem.

Three weeks earlier, exactly the same place.

Sports teacher Christer Corpi points to a neon yellow chalk line in the asphalt. He has drawn a 60-meter track on a walkway - and he is pissed.

Christer Corpi, Alexander Isak's sports teacher. Photo: JONAS ENG

Mad that he has to draw running tracks himself. Politicians do not want to build a long jump pit for him. In half an hour, one of the classes he teaches at Ulriksdalsskolan will run three kilometers. He himself has measured the entire course around the residential area.
I am not afraid to comment on what I stand for. Politicians have not done [deleted] for this place. Look, there is nothing here, he says and points with his hand towards the center where more rooms are destroyed.
Why don't they invest more in an area like this?
In many contexts, Corpi's own sports credentials weigh heavily. He is one of seven Swedish boxers who have participated in two Olympic Games, but after having locked Alexander Isak through high school, he has seen himself surpassed in Bagartorpsskolan's history books.

Christer Corpi during a boxing match in Gothenburg, 1981. Photo: CAMERA REPORT / IBL

Crushed everyone in table tennis

Christer came to Bagartorp after working at a school in Östberga. During his 20 years here, he has used his own experiences of what he describes as a "tangled" upbringing to help his students through a sensitive age, but Alexander Isak did not have to be guided away from the wrong path.
I have never had a student who has jumped 1.75 in high jump without practicing athletics in his spare time. Alexander was incomparable in that way. I checked that out, and if he had competed in the Stockholm DM that year, he would have won a bronze medal, he says.
He crushed everyone when we had table tennis tournaments as well.

Photo: Private

When Alexander Isak was to start ninth grade, the whole class was moved to Ulriksdalsskolan. There was talk for a long time that Bagartorpsskolan would only be rebuilt - the students even got to vote on a new design - but that did not happen. Instead, it was demolished in 2018.

As we walk up to the place where it was - where a free school is now being built - Christer Corpi stops halfway and points to the place where the "pitch" was.
I was most impressed by Alex when he played football. He knew I knew he could dribble by everyone himself and score goals, but he never had to show it to me. Instead, he always took a position at the back of the field, read the game and helped everyone else,
he says.

Christer Corpis 60-yard track. Photo: JONAS ENG

How do you best describe Bagartorp?

Corpi's description includes words like "tough" and "rough", but you will encounter different images of this place depending on who you ask.

The natural object of comparison in Alexander Isak's career has for obvious reasons been Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but any attempt to construct a parallel to Ibrahimovic's upbringing in Rosengård seems as forced as it is wrong. Bagartorp is located next to Enköpingsvägen, near Råstahem and Agnesberg, and is part of Järva, but no so-called exposed area like other, diligently described parts of Järva.

The descriptions of Isak's upbringing also differ from Zlatan's, just in the same way that Ibrahimovic's style of play and personality is not recognizable in the 21-year-old who is getting ready to lead Sweden's attack on Spain.

Alexander Isak in 1st class, top row, second from the left. Photo: PIXYBILD

Alexander's father Teame has worked as a home language teacher and is the author of several textbooks in Tigrinya, the largest language in Eritrea. He has taught students both at Bagartorpsskolan and in Hagalund, a nearby residential area in Solna. Isaac's brother, Binyam, and his sister, Nyat, also attended school. His teacher tells me how his mother Saba and Teame show up at all parent meetings and emphasizes the importance of the studies not being harmed by all the focus on football.

A bunch of guys performed at the closing ball and sang a song. He was there

Annelie Lundh, mentor to Alexander Isak for several years at the school, calls him a "model student".
It was a fairly large group with two mentors. Alexander was an ambitious student. Good, I would call him "basic good". He had it easy for him, it went well for him even though he spent so much time on football. Happy, nice and polite, liked by everyone, classmates, boys and girls,
she says.
And Alexander was outgoing even though he was calm. He had no problem speeding. If I remember correctly, it was a bunch of guys who performed at the closing ball and sang a song. He was there.

Alexander Isak, top row, first from the left. Photo: PIXYBILD

Her colleague from that time, Ann-Cathrin Lif, who was also Isak's mentor during high school, has a similar picture. In her professional role, she has seldom been asked to grant as many holidays for football tournaments, matches or training - but there are other memories of a young Isak who lingered.
All the boys were in the pitch and the little ones looked up to him. I noticed how respectfully he treated the younger ones. A nice guy quite simply,
she says.
He was a mediator if there were conflicts. He could get angry and annoyed like everyone else, but he spread a calm around him.
For several years, Ann-Cathrin is not only Alexander Isak's mentor, she also teaches his class in Swedish - but she has a concern. Motivating the boy gang to read books does not turn out to be quite simple. She makes an attempt to find literature that is interesting in their eyes and sticks to Jonas Hassen Khemiris' "I call my brothers", which will be staged at the Stadsteatern. Reading the book and then watching the play feels like an exciting effort.

But she only gets one copy, and it's read aloud.
That book is written in a little slang. The boys thought it was very funny when that old teacher tried to talk that way. But they became positive about it. Then it was time to go to the theater. Then I told the boys that now you can stand up for me and follow along in the same way as I have stood up for you with the holidays,
she says.
Both Alexander and William agreed and talked to their coaches. Both followed. When Alexander was in ninth grade and played with AIK, just before he broke through and became famous, I went to a match down at Skytteholm. When I was leaving, I texted him and asked, “Do you remember when you came with me to the theater? Now you have made me go to football. ”.

There is a specific moment when William begins to guess what is going on.

He and Alexander had been followed through AIK and William was also called to gatherings with the district team. He spends a few years in the second team and changes clubs to FC Djursholm for a short period, but will soon be back.

William Nilsson outside Alexander Isak's gate. Photo: OLLE SPORRONG

By then, Alexander Isak has accelerated his commitment to football. There are occasional times where players like Isak Hien, now midfielder in Djurgården, and Nebiyou Perry, now in Östersund, compete him out of the P99 team's starting eleven, and in the national team it is initially Joel Asoro, Mattias Svanberg and Sead Haksabanovic who shine the most.

But Isak soon catches up and passes, and he is not content with that, but starts working on his own initiative with an individual coach, Abdi Abdulle, whom SportExpressen interviewed in 2017. https://www.expressen.se/sport/qs/han-s ... skrattade/

Alexander Isak in the Stockholm team cheers during the Swedish Football Association's elite camp in Halmstad 2014. Photo: PETTER ARVIDSON / BILDBYRÅN

When he turned 15, development is extremely fast.
I remember that he was called up for a match with U19. What is he going to do there? I thought they probably did not have enough players,
William remembers.
I was sitting there with his brother, Binyam. Alex started. The match was 2-0. And ... it was wow. 15 years and best on the field. In my eyes, I may be biased. But wow, really. It's hard to think so about a player who is 14 or 15 years old, how to measure up with adults. But when he made that match with U19, you saw that he was really good. I mean, he met grown men, 18-year-olds. He was too good for them.

View from Quality Hotel at Friends arena in Solna where you see Bagartorp's five tall buildings in the background. Photo: OLLE SPORRONG

Others who see Alexander Isak play are affected by his progress in connection with a U21 match against Djurgården, in July 2015. AIK's U21 team gets a big blow, it will be 7-0, but Isak leaves a lasting impression. Not only does Henok Goitom send out a well-quoted tweet about the 15-year-old, Adidas is reminded that he has no contract with any sponsor.

It does not take long before an agreement with the shoe giant is signed.

If you train Alexander Isak in a good way, we have a man of the future there. His understanding of the game is wicked.
Six years and 17 La Liga goals later, Alexander Isak can stand on the brink of yet another groundbreaking transformation. A 21-year-old who scores goals in the Spanish league and makes a good European Championship play-off will be a key ingredient in football's hype machinery. It is already spinning fast, but now the speed limits can be released completely

I sometimes think it's lucky that Isak has more experience of that kind of process than many others.

Two derby goals on his 17th birthday

It was a long time ago that he strolled out of the locker rooms at Tele 2 arena after his two goals against Djurgården, but it really was not long ago.

Isak turned 17 the same day, made us reporters a little stressed with his calm, looked at us without moving a muscle and thought aloud about whether he should bake a cake and take it to Karlberg. Several of us laughed a little nervously in search of a more cheerful tone.

Alexander Isak scores one of the goals at Djurgården, 2016. Photo: ERIK SIMANDER / BILDBYRÅN

The goals in the derby are just a drop in the ocean of events. Isak nets in his first Allsvenskan start against Östersund, breaks transfer records and becomes a goal scorer in his national team debut. 2017 barely has time to start before he is sold in a record deal to Borussia Dortmund after being basically ready for Real Madrid. Juventus and Red Bull Leipzig fall on the finish line. The agent that AIK takes help from, Vladica Lemic, and his Swedish partners are examined, as is the agreement, which AIK is punished for having drawn up. In addition, it turns out that Dickson Etuhu, who will later be convicted of bribery, receives money for the deal.

When you look at everything that happens, there seems to be a lot to take in for a 17-year-old who overnight becomes the subject of an extensive tug-of-war and media attention. Everyone wants him, and in a way it still is. I myself have sought interviews with Isak on several occasions over the past year, mostly to ask questions about the extreme beginning of his career and the expectation boom that he may finally be able to add to the action and look at with a little perspective. How is a 16-year-old affected by being transported through such a special time in life? What do you say on the other side? Through his representatives, he has unfortunately declined.

It's huge. It still is. Im so proud.

In Bagartorp, William Nilsson sat rubbing his eyes while everything happened.
It is thought that a lot will happen. But nothing has happened,
he says as we begin to move on.
Alex has been the same person. He has not changed circles, hangs out with the same people as before. When there were rumors about big clubs, people started thinking. First it was about Leicester and Southampton. One thought: Ouff. Then came the really big clubs. Then they began to lose their minds completely. I did not understand what was happening. Unable to get hold of. It's too big. It still is. Im so proud.

As I said, it was close to becoming Spain already when Isak was to be exported to the continent from AIK, but a late turn took him to Germany instead.

However, he would end up in San Sebastian and Real Sociedad, and once in place, many have been amazed at how quickly he spoke Spanish.

But not everyone.

Called his old Spanish teacher

On September 21 this year, Thania Guanoluisa receives a phone call. On the other end, it turns out that it is an old student of hers who calls to say thank you.
It was touching,
she says.
We spoke Spanish. Alexander said: Thania, it was you who gave me the basics of the Spanish language. I was so happy that he remembered and appreciated it. The whole conversation was in fluent Spanish.
She is not surprised that he ended up in Spain.

Isak celebrates one of his two goals away against Real Madrid, 2020.
I used to go with the students who went in grade nine to Madrid for a week. That year when we were going to go with Alexander's class, something happened. We did not get a place in Madrid, but we had to go to Barcelona. They were overjoyed. Maybe because they got to taste churros. I used to cook for them, now they got to taste churros with chocolate. There you eat it with a strong, dark chocolate. I had done with Nutella. Alex and the others thought mine were better.
Then everyone wanted to visit Camp Nou, of course. For me, it was important that they got to see reality. How it was in Spain. The only thing we could not do was enter the Sagrada de Familia. It was renovated, and it should be ready in 2026. Then we agreed that whoever has succeeded in life at that time, and who has money, invites all students and teachers to Barcelona.
I remember talking to Alex and saying that oh my god, 2026, it's so far away. I did not think I would feel as good as I do now. I told him that "I might be in a wheelchair then".
Alex replied that he would drive me in the wheelchair if that was the case.
Throw with a small ball, high jump, run. Alex was always the best. We had a "Little Olympics" at school. They had to compete for silver and bronze. The gold, he had.
William passes the sign with Sagolandet.
It has happened so much, it is difficult to sort everything. Alex is my best friend. 100 percent. We talk every day. You can always talk to him. If you have a problem or need to talk to someone, he is always a call away. It does not matter that he has lived in five countries. I can call Alex at any time,
he says.
The match against Djurgården on his 17th birthday, I still think is the strongest memory. It was a bit like the match against Östersund, it almost felt like I scored a goal. I was there. There are pictures when I stand and point at him from the AIK heel. When he scored, a friend and I ran straight down. When Obasi made it 3-0, there is a picture when Alex points to the stands, to me and my friend. He made eye contact with us. I do not think one can describe such a moment in a good way. Best memory. Best of all.

Photo: ANDREAS L ERIKSSON / BILDBYRÅN
After the match, it was too much. I was going to go home from the south, but I do not remember how it happened. I kind of bounced home. I did not take in anything other than that it had happened. I was so up in arms. I could not speak.
William shakes his head. The European Championship premiere is ten days away.

Bagartorp is waiting to see his ambassador conquer the stage again.
You try to think a little humble, but really I am convinced that Alex will start. It will be a success.

William Nilsson shows SportExpressen's Noa Bachner around Bagartorp. Photo: OLLE SPORRONG

The renovation of the Sagrada Família will unfortunately be delayed, there will be no reopening in 2026, the pandemic got in the way - but Thania Guanoluisa has other things she is looking forward to.
From time to time I have seen that Alex has scored goals, then I usually write congratulations in Spanish to him. He always answers in Spanish,
she says.
And now it's the European Championships. Alex represents Solna, Bagartorp and the whole of Sweden. US. all. Everyone knows who Alexander Isak is. I have worked 33 years in Solna and 25 years in Bagartorpsskolan. Alexander's father, Teame, and I were colleagues when he taught native language there. We worked together in Hagalund before. This is so big for me.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Re: Alexander Isak sends Liverpool fans wild with Sweden display vs Spain at Euro 2020

Post by Zmeselo » 15 Jun 2021, 20:56

Arsenal too:

Legendary striker and former European Championship king Marco van Basten paid tribute to Alex on Dutch television, in connection with the match:
Alexander Isak is agile, fast-footed, intelligent, cúnning and Sweden's by far the most dangerous player. He plays street football and is lovely to watch,

says the icon in the TV channel NOS.

Cesc Fabregas highlights Alexander Isak as one of the match's players and is supported by former Man United and England midfielder Rio Ferdinand.
He (Isak) really showed today why he was named young player of the year in the Spanish league,

says Ferdinand
Last edited by Zmeselo on 16 Jun 2021, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 15 Jun 2021, 21:44

Look alikes, as kidz! :P

Alexander

Ronaldinho

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 16 Jun 2021, 07:52

Alex & his proud family!

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 16 Jun 2021, 11:14

"He just laughed - and laughed and laughed and laughed"

4 Feb 2017

Photo: WILLY MELLET / IMAGO / BILDBYRÅN

MAINZ. "What would you say, if Real Madrid actually called?"

In June 2016, Alexander Isak will be asked the question. He can not stop laughing at it.

But the story of his path to the record sum and Borussia Dortmund is longer than the Allsvenskan debut season and a winter full of rumors.

SportExpressen follows the tracks from Skytteholm to the "yellow wall".

Noah Bachner

(Software translation)

https://www.expressen.se/sport/qs/han-s ... skrattade/
Where in Sweden, do you come from?
RB Leipzig's sports director Ralf Rangnick stands ten meters away from me, with his arms crossed. It is the beginning of December 2016, and we are in a corridor at the club's training facility.

Ralf Rangnick. Photo: NOA BACHNER

The walls are decorated with large red bulls. I have asked to take a picture of him for a report I am doing and behind us a heavy glass door has slammed shut.
Stockholm,
I answer.

The phone is malfunctioning. The storage space is full. I try a little stressfully to delete a couple of really shaky pictures of different arenas, to make room for the portrait of Rangnick.
Aha, it's a very beautiful city. I was there yesterday,
he says.

My gaze is fixed on the screen. I lift it slowly and look at him without saying anything. Ralf Rangnick's smile slowly disappears.

None of us say anything. Both know that a sports director in the Bundesliga can only have one errand in Stockholm.

We both also know, that the story of Alexander Isaac's journey to Germany is approaching its final chapter.

But where does it really start?

"A skinny little boy, very quiet"
First Alexander, and now this. Oh my goodness, how fast everything has gone!
It is the last days of January and Nahom Ghidey has spent the whole morning saying an emotional goodbye to Ebenezer Ofori, AIK's inner midfielder who has just been sold to Stuttgart.

This is the second time in a short time that Nahom is forced to say goodbye to a player, with whom he has close ties.

In the last month, the story of Alexander Isak has reached all corners of the world. Predictably, he has often been labeled "the new Zlatan", a description that actually closes his eyes on Isak as both player type and person.

Common to almost all descriptions of the 17-year-old's journey to Westfalenstadion is that the story begins in the 2016 game year. .

For Nahom Ghidey, the journey begins long before that. From the beginning, he is hesitant to talk about Alexander. So much has happened in such a short time, and the last thing he wants is to present himself as more important than anyone else.

Alexander Isak and Nahom Ghidey Photo: PRIVATE

As a full-time youth coach at AIK, Nahom has been by Alexander Isak's side longer than most, and not just as a coach. Like Alexander Isak, he has an Eritrean background, but moved to Sweden from Germany himself about nine years ago. Even then, he was familiar with the family that has just released his 17-year-old son.
I became a coach for Alexander when he was 9 years old and had him until he turned 13. He was a skinny little boy, very quiet. You heard him very rarely, he nodded most of all, but I immediately saw that he had something extra, something that not everyone could master. He finished with both feet, he was very technical and mixed it with extreme game understanding. I fell in love immediately,
he says.

Nahom had seen what he needed to be convinced of the potential, but when a 13-year-old Isak went on to AIK's youth ranks, it was far from obvious that he would roll out to A-team training in just two years.
There are so many who have been involved in Alexander's development. The whole of AIK should be proud, the academy, all the coaches who had him have done a great job. When he stepped up, there was a desire that he would be a little quicker and stronger. Some wanted to see him finish more often and faster, move more, help more on the defensive. And of course, he was maybe a little lazy, he did not always work as he should,

says Ghidey and laughs a little to himself.
But I always say that a coach can not "fix" an Alexander Isak, or a Zlatan for that matter. Everything is in the head and body.
Rangnick: "We can make a deal"

Ralf Rangnick looks at me a little skeptically.
Alexander Isak,
I say, surprised at my own calm.
Yes, who else?,
he admits resignedly.
We met his family yesterday. It's perfect for him to come here, but there are many clubs that want him. Nothing is clear.
My ears have grown huge. RB Leipzig's interest in Alexander Isak has, unlike Real Madrid's and several other big clubs, gone under the radar. Rangnick says that he has tried to attract him, for almost the whole year.
But please, do not write this now. Can we make a deal?
he says appealingly after a while.

Rangnick calls in his press manager, who comes running after 30 seconds. He looks stressed, when he explains what has happened. We agree that he will get in touch in early January and give me the news with a little head start if the transition is completed, but only if the meeting with the Isak family remains secret until further notice.

When we part, the mood is a little uncertain. Rangnick feels cut, this was not the point. He just wanted to talk about Stockholm's silhouettes.
Okay. We keep in touch, then? I hope we understand each other. And greet Stockholm from me. It is a nice city, no matter what you do there,
he says.

When Alexander Isak moves on within AIK, it does not take long before he starts looking for individual training to develop even faster.

Abdi Abdulle steps into the action.
You know, Abdi is talented. Abdi unlocked Alexander's head,
says Nahom Ghidey.
Haha, that's Nahom's way of saying that I worked a lot with Alexander for three years,
says Abdi himself.

He is 35 years old and has worked as both a scout, youth coach and senior team coach in Stockholm football. In 2014, he started a project for young players, "Be a Pro - Become a Pro", with the goal of
embracing young football players' dreams of becoming professionals.
Like Nahom Ghidey, he is very cautious at first. Here, too, there are great elements of humility and respect for Alexander Isak as a subject, but also the fact that his rocket career will not be a trophy for anyone.
Nahom has been both a sounding board and a mentor for me, it was our discussions that led to this project being born. Alexander Isak? If he has taught me anything, it is that what we do with "Be a Pro - Become a Pro" can have a great positive effect.
Together with Alexander's brother, Binyam, who "has been involved in everything", Abdi begins to wear extra with a 14-year-old Alexander in 2014. The trio sets a goal: AIK's A-team.

At the same time, he is starting to make bigger and bigger impressions in matches.
But if I were to start discussing what exactly Alex developed when we trained together, it would appear that I am interested in taking a free ride on his success or taking credit for myself, and I am not,
he points out.
Alex has a way of thinking and a view of life that makes him special. And the goal was AIK's A-team, so in 2016 I saw our collaboration as over because he had actually become a professional.

Alexander Isak and his brother Binyam after Alexander signed his first A-team contract with AIK (left) Abdi Abdulle's sons, Ayuub (10) and Rahim (8) (right)

"Real Madrid may come later in life"

At the beginning of January 2017, an email will arrive from RB Leipzig's press manager. There is, contrary to what Rangnick had hoped for, unfortunately nothing to announce, he explains, but promises to keep me updated if that changes.

In both Sweden and Spain, rumors are growing that Alexander Isak is almost ready for Real Madrid, but when he is expected in the Spanish capital, the whole deal turns around.
I was not surprised. I just felt as usual: He is wise. He knows the conditions. He does not just run, he does not disappear into the air, he knows what is most important now. Real Madrid may come later in life,
says Henok Goitom.

He turns the clock back to a training session, in July 2015. At AIK's training facility at Karlberg, Andreas Alm has started to divide his players into two teams.
Well, I knew who he was. Alexander's father, Teame, was my home language teacher when I was a child. We're from Eritrea. So I knew he existed, but no one had warned me, not in that way,
he says.

This summer, a 15-year-old Alexander Isak is doing his first A-team training with AIK. When Andreas Alm has handed out all the vests, Isak and Henok have ended up in the same team.
It is quite early in the exercise. I want the ball from him, I think I should get it. He waits in, waits in, waits in. Then he decides that it is not the right situation. But he finds someone else and solves the situation. I look behind me and see that he has made the right decision,
says Goitom.
What is usually a sign for juniors who train with the A-team for the first time is that they do not have control over the situation. You only fit the player who is closest, whether it is right or wrong. But not Alex.
After training, it does not take long for Goitom to tell the world what he has seen.
If you train Alexander Isak in a good way, we have a future man here. His understanding of the game is wicked,
he writes on Twitter.
I knew after a workout. But I do not know any mentor if I want to call myself. I have made a journey within AIK. You have a drive, you want to help people. The other person must also want, want to listen, want to be humble in the face of advice. You want to give it to everyone, but you have to respect that not everyone wants to hear it,
he says.
I try to stay in the background. Alexander is a very humble person. He does not think "who are you to teach me?". He absorbs what he thinks is good, he sifts away what he does not think is good. There are a lot of people talking to him. But Alex is smart. He knows.
During the following winter, Henok Goitom leaves AIK. Eventually, Denni Avdic picks up jersey number 10, which he leaves behind, but his previous number, 36, a tribute to floor three and six o'clock in Husby, the place and time where he played football as a child, is still vacant.

A couple of months later, Alexander Isak is moved up to AIK's A squad for the season.
You need a chance, a little experience and a little luck, of course. We had a bit of a problem on the attacking side then, there were not many options and suddenly Alex had the chance. But this is about Andreas Alm as well, not many coaches just throw in a 16-year-old instead of an established player,
says Goitom.

On April 7, Alexander Isak joins his first Allsvenskan goal away against Östersund. He is 16 years old and will be the club's youngest goal scorer of all time.

On his back he has his last name and a number he has asked for: 36.

"Sorry, it's a really bad mood"

At the Opel arena in Mainz, the cold has penetrated the tunnels under the stands. Marco Reus is first off the field. He has already taken off his shirt and now he is throwing it in the ground. Out of the mouth comes a bunch of mushy swear words in German.

André Schürrle is a few meters behind and scratches his beard. Mario Götze stares down at the ground. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang loafers with his cover jacket over his shoulders.
It's too bad. There are too many points up,
he says hurriedly before disappearing into the locker room.

Mainz's equalizer with only a few minutes left has settled like a wet blanket over everyone's mood. Sascha Fligge, Borussia Dortmund's press manager, strikes out with his arms.
You, sorry, it's a really bad mood,
he says.
If you want to talk about Alexander, it's best you talk to Michael.
Michael is Michael Zorc, Borussia Dortmund's sports director. Here, in Mainz, it has been a week since he surprisingly won the tug-of-war over Alexander Isak.

Michael Zorc. Photo: IMAGO
We discovered him early, our scouts have had their eyes on him for a long time. It is quite obvious that he is both very talented and already a very good player. Once we got the chance to recruit him, it was pretty easy. He is 17 years old, so we can give him time to adapt to everything here: a new country, a new league, a new city and a new environment,
he says.

You paid a lot of money for him.
Yes, but look at Alexander. He's fast. Dynamic. A goal scorer. I mean, check out his first workout with us. He steps straight in and scores two goals during his first practice. And he is both nice and well educated. Being able to speak fluent English also helps him. We are completely convinced that he will quickly become part of our A-team,
he says.

I ask about the other clubs that pulled in Isak, but Zorc just wants to talk about why Dortmund is the right place.
Just look at Raphael Guerreiro, Ousmane Dembélé and Christian Pulisic - our strategy is not just about recruiting young people to be in custody, our players are good enough to play no matter how old they are. We are proud to constantly develop young people,
he says.

Here in Mainz, both Pulisic and Dembélé have jumped into Dortmund's pursuit of a late winning goal, and now both are speeding past on their way to the locker room with coach Thomas Tuchel at the heels.
To be completely honest, what we are actually doing is something that other clubs at this level do not invest as much time and effort in doing,
says Michael Zorc.

Alexander Isak during training with Borussia Dortmund
Photo: / WILLY MELLET IMAGO

Listen, what would you say if Real Madrid calls?
It is June 2016. On one side of the table sits Nahom Ghidey and asks a question to his lunch party in the center of Solna, Alexander Isak.

He has just signed his first contract with AIK and is talking about finishing Solna gymnasium before he takes the next step, about "calmer environments", a couple of years in AIK, about maybe going to Holland later?
He just laughed. And laughed and laughed and laughed. He was flattered by the question itself, but he did not think there was a chance.
Now it's Nahom Ghidey, who's laughing.
My goodness. I say it again. This was in June! Do you understand how scary? But you know. He surprised everyone. Himself too.
Henok Goitom thinks for a moment.
So, he is so wise, humble and eloquent that you forget that he is 17 years old. 17 years! I was probably not quite ready when I was 17 and moved to Italy, but I think Alex is better prepared. Then he will need support. What do you do when there is a dip? It's easier when everyone just praises everything you do. I have said that he can call whenever he wants,
he says.
But at the same time. Alex always knows what he's doing. It does not surprise me if he just comes in and scores directly. He has the confidence and aura needed to make a dream of that debut as well. Just like in AIK. Just like in the national team.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 16 Jun 2021, 14:00

Isak's most dangerous showcase

His first performance at the European Championship dazzles the world and his replacement is outrageous to the Swedes

Isak breaks Laporte before his shot that ended up hitting the post (Marcelo Del Pozo - Pool - Marcelo Del Pozo - Pool / Getty)

ANGEL LOPEZ

(Software translation)

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/r ... -isak.html

06-15-2021

Half the world discovered yesterday a striker capable of getting out of a cage with three jailers eager to take the ball from him and to break for speed behind a defense. It is called now reinforce your interest in the 21-year-old realistic forward, who went to play the continental tournament without signing the armor that the Real proposed to him, for six or seven more years, matching the best salary of the squad, raising in part its termination clause, which is already high: 70 million euros. Alexander Isak and he wears the radiant yellow of the Swedish national team. The Eurocup is already the most dangerous and macabre showcase for Real. All the Txuri Urdin knew that he could perform at the level he did against Spain, creating so much danger on the few occasions in which the ball reached him. Now, all of Europe and the rest of the footballing planet know it. It is not strange that the teams that already had him on their agenda, such as Arsenal, Barcelona or Mourinho's Roma

The Real striker gave eight passes throughout the game, no more, seven of them finding an ally. He signed two dangerous plays: in one he broke into space, a hole was cooked to shoot after breaking Laporte and between Marcos Llorente and the post they avoided the goal. In another, he managed to dodge three rivals and serve a goal ball to Berg, who threw away the chance. The Swedes made him 'a Morata ' in social networks to Isak's offensive partner. In Anoeta's offices, there is a mixture of pride and concern. That forward cost 6.5 million euros two years ago and his current market value is ten times higher. On the other hand, if he maintains his performance against Slovakia and Poland, the vultures will accompany the seagulls in the Bay of the Shell. Neither has Real so far managed to cancel the purchase option of 30 million euros that Borussia Dortmund has, a German team to which the Scandinavian does not want to return in any way. He wants to buy that peace of mind, from the Germans.

Outrage over the change

So good was Isak's performance that the Swedes were outraged when coach Janne Anderson replaced him in the 68th minute. Everyone called him 'Spain's best friend'. The Swedish coach justified it like this:
He was doing good things in attack, but he was starting to get tired, like Berg.
He argues that he wanted to gain defensive energy to hold a draw, that satisfied them.

Isak himself admitted that he would have liked to continue in the field because,
one always want to play,
but "happy" about his performance and the draw obtained by the national team:
I can understand that Janne wanted some fresh legs on the defence.

There were many voices raised against the change, including those of Rio Ferdinand, former Manchester United and England player, on the BBC:
This guy, Isak, has been a problem for the Spanish defenders,
said the ex-centre.
Today he showed why he deserved the award that made him the best young player of the year in La Liga,
he said about the one in England they talk about as Arsenal's next goal to hire.
We were surprised,
admits Ferdinand, eager to see Isak in the next matches.

Zmeselo
Senior Member+

Post by Zmeselo » 16 Jun 2021, 22:09

FOOTBALL TRANSFERS
ERLING HAALAND'S MAN CITY MOVE HELPED BY ALEXANDER ISAK BUYBACK CLAUSE - REPORTS

Manchester City have been linked with a move for Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland, and reports coming from Germany point to a way forward for the transfer to be made. Dortmund have a buyback clause with Real Sociedad for in-form Swedish international striker Alexander Isak, who could be a direct Haaland replacement.

Erling Haaland Image credit: Getty Images

BY: ALEXANDER NETHERTON

https://www.eurosport.com/football/tran ... tory.shtml

15/06/2021

Reports in Germany have suggested a way back to Borussia Dortmund for Alexander Isak, which could ease Erling Haaland’s transfer to Manchester City.

Haaland is expected to leave Germany this summer and has been linked with Liverpool, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Premier League champions City.

Pep Guardiola is looking for a replacement for Sergio Aguero, who left the Etihad this summer to join Barcelona on a free transfer as his contract in England came to an end. Gabriel Jesus could yet stay at the club but has not earned the right to be the team’s first choice striker.

Haaland was in some respects a replacement for former Dortmund striker Isak, who played for them between 2017 and 2019, before joining Real Sociedad. The Sweden international has hit the ground running at Euro 2020, and has 17 goals in 34 games for Real over the course of last season.

German publication Kicker https://www.kicker.de/dortmund-winkt-na ... 27/artikel claims that Dortmund have a £26 million buyback clause, which could see Dortmund bring the 21-year-old back into the fold to take over from his Norwegian peer.

While Dortmund are not keen to sell Haaland this summer, with his release clause not kicking in until next year, they will agree to let him go if a suitable deal can be agreed. From City’s point of view, they may regard him as an alternative to Harry Kane, who has requested to leave Tottenham.

Expert View (Eurosport Germany's Marc Hlusiak):
I don't see Isak returning to Dortmund. After getting in the Champions League, Dortmund is keen to keep Haaland another season and sell him next year, especially if Sancho is moving this summer, which is most likely.

Isak doesn't want to go back to Dortmund and Dortmund don't want Isak back. The only chance is that Isak's value rises at EURO 2020 way over the 30 million valuation, so they could make money out of buying him and selling him right away.